Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Sorry to be so very late this morning. I slept until 9:15 which is highly unusual for me. First three weeks of school have worn me out and I seem to be experiencing the beginnings of a cold again (2nd time since school started-of course one of my darlings coughed right in my face last week, so maybe that is it). Going from top to bottom, I am fuzzy-headed and tired to my toes!

So for today, since we have been discussing grading at school, I did a quick little bit of research (forgive me if this is wrong) and noticed that almost all countries have one thing in common when they record grades, with the exception of Germany. Can you guess how Germany differs from the rest of us in their method/interpretation of grades? Not asking about letters vs numeric grades.

Cynthia, who is off to make a cup of tea and take some vitamin C-not a clue :)

Comments (19)

• thinman
    12 years ago

I seem to remember this issue coming up in regards to Albert Einstein's math grades. There was a misinterpretation based on our way versus their way.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I'm in the dark on this one, looks like I'm skunked again :(.

Annette

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I'm going to guess that Germany doesn't use a bell curve.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think TM is on to it.

Lorna, not talking IQ.

I have been telling myself that I am going to start cleaning since I finished my tea, but can't seem to get myself started. Not sure where to start...upstairs or down. Probably up and then head down if I have the energy to do the complete job.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Cynthia, you probably need another cup of tea and more rest. A clean house is over-rated, don't you think? Definitely not as important as feeling well. Good health to you.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks TM. I actually feel okay-that was more in the way of offering a clue.

Should have said everything feels upside down today. ;)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

OK, missed you all before work today - had to go to try to figure out my my cell phone wouldn't hold a charge. Still not sure, but it is charged now - some kind of on/off short? I need to check that out!!

Now, at to today's question - I am with Lorna. I would have said Bell curve as well. I remember when they started doing this here in public school. Being ahead in marks, in those days - not now!! - I was quite miffed that the 'dummies' got better grades. What can I say. I was an only child, not very pc!! Up and down has me stymied....they also started the IQ tests about that time, too. Hmmmphh!!! Did we switch from letters to percentiles?? I totally don't get the grades today: 4.0 is good?? If I'd gotten a 4 in anything, my mother would have skinned me alive!! lol. Now there's motivation!!

I need more clues, Cyn.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Many countries, including Germany use the numeric method for grading-even our district is moving to that for all grade levels next year. Some use the four point system as Nancy referenced, others use a 1 to 10 or 1 to 20 scale. Germany uses numbers, too. They look at things a little bit differently, however.

You may not know it, but there could be a clue in your post, Nancy-lol. Any German in your family?

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

My sister and family lived in Germany for several years and told me about their grading system. The best grade reminds me of an old sports cheer.

Friends from the GW MN forum came here for a plant swap this morning. It was cool but lovely fall day, more like mid-October. DH said he heard lots of laughter and good conversation sounds. He helped by making soup for the potluck and cleaning up after while I was digging in the garden to place a few bare root plants. Scored an orange blooming columbine and look forward to seeing it in bloom next spring.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bobbie, that columbine sounds lovely-hope you will post pics next spring.

Three cheers for you and your hint!

Cynthia

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Cynthia, Could you be talking about the 'well curve' instead of the bell curve? Although I am not entirely sure how it works, I believe that it allows for a more varied measure of intelligence and learning. Don't know if I said that right.......??
    Ginny Garden

• thinman
    12 years ago

I believe that in Germany low numbers meant high grades. Like golf. I didn't know if they still did that.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bobbi and TM, you are indeed "Number One!" As far as I could find, Germany is the only country to score from bottom to top with the highest grades having the lowest number. A 1 is best and it is downhill from there! :) Four stars for you both. ****
    Or perhaps I should only give you one star *

Nancy, do you deserve stars? Not sure, but will gladly bestow them if you knew the answer and I was just too obtuse to realize it.

Ginny, now I need to go look up the Well Curve! Not familiar with that.

Thanks for playing everyone. Have a lovely Sunday. It was a misty, moisty morning here, but there are signs of a possible breakthrough of sunshine. I have two Viburnum pragense to plant(yippee-growing a shield against less than lovely view of a neighbor's backyard) and more than a few hosta, but they may need to wait a week.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

lol Cyn. No stars for me!! Thanks for this week's question - you seem to stump me every time!!

Nancy.

12 years ago

Cynthia ~ I knew Germany scored from low to high but thought you were looking for something more. I think there are a few countries that grade that way so I got sidetracked. Fun playing! :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Bobbie - if it sets seeds, I'd love some! ;-)) I have trades - let me know!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Honalee, **** for you! I guess my clues were too subtle. We try to give hints as the day goes on and I tried a lot of top/bottom, bottom/top references. I also thought people might get it from TM's clue which showed he knew it too! I will try to do better next week!

12 years ago

That's why I didn't mention it. TM pretty much had it! I grew up with a young man from Germany who always thought he was getting bad marks in school here in Canada.... LOL!

I believe Einstein had something to do with the 'well curve' as he was proposed to be terrible at math...... Not sure how that works either as I guess I'm not good at math either.....or at least not the new math!

12 years ago

PS Your clues were the fun part, Cyn! :)

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia