Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Oh gosh darn!! I got so excited that my watch was fixed that I flew out of the house this am to go pick it up - completely forgot to post. Sorry.

OK, so - everyone has heard of Carlsberg Beer, no doubt. I had a chance to visit the brewery years ago, when I visited Copenhagen. The company was founded in 1847, and in 1904 it adopted a very interesting logo. Carl Jacobsen, the founder had the inspiration from his keen interest in collecting artwork from the Antiques. The symbol is known both in Ancient Rome and Greece. Two large carved examples are either side of the entrance of the Copenhagen brewery. In the late thirties, they started to phase this logo out, though never completely. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to divine what this logo is, and why they thought about getting rid of it.

Nancy - who is a little red faced.

Comments (15)

• thinman
    9 years ago

This one may be too much for me. I don't understand artwork from the Antiques. I think that is a clue, and if I don't understand even the clue, I'm really in trouble. Can you fill me in?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Haha, TM! I am with you! Need clues.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think they meant antiquities - sorry, copy and paste and I missed their typo - then again, Danish to English, perhaps just a difference in language. In Sanskrit this symbol meant: That is good. Amazing how things can be twisted!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

If they started phasing it out in the thirties, that coincides with the rise of a certain European power and their infamous symbol. Am I onto something?

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmmm, TM, you got me thinking, was this symbol also used by Native Americans?

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I know this one and believe TM is on the right track. Remember the irony of it representing something good before as it is now most commonly know as representing evil and likely will be so for all eternity.

Been working outside this afternoon and evening. Beautiful day here for digging and dividing and getting some plants ready for a plant swap on Monday.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, TM and others, you are on to something. The brewery was quite upset at their symbol being usurped. There was little they could do legally, and in 1940 nothing more could be done. In 1945, the logo was retired.
    Annette, the Hopi, or Anasazi had a similar symbol.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

The symbol is a swaztika. They are one of many companies and nations that phased out or de empathized the swaztika because of its association with Nazi Germany.

My niece, a native of China, told me that a swaztika symbolizes eternity in one of their religions.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Interesting!

• thinman
    9 years ago

Yep, swastika is what I was thinking too.

TM

9 years ago

Me too, swastika.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, you are all correct. I panicked on the way back from collecting my watch, when I realized I had completely forgotten to post. So, there was a typo as you see. I find so many web sites have them, but i usually find them. Oh well. I have my lovely Swiss watch back, and discovered it actually has and has a Japanese quartz movement. And the replacement only cost me $35. Not bad!! Watch repair is a dying art.
    {{gwi:612781}}
    This Carlsberg logo came in use from 1904. The architect and designer Thorvald Bindesbøll created the logo to Carlsberg pilsner (green).

{{gwi:612782}}
    This is one of the Elephants that flank either side of the brewery entrance - massive and impressive.

In connection with the German occupation of Denmark the swastika trademark was used less, but it did not disappear completely. It was dilemma, the brewery did not want to be connected with the enemy, but in the other hand the trademark was a part of the breweries proud history and identity.

In the end of 1945 the use of swastika was stopped, the World had forgotten is origin was a positive symbol, but you can still see it as an element in the decorations at the buildings Carl Jacobsen have made in Copenhagen. Today the buildings are listed, the buildings are: The Church of Jesus, the Brewhouse, the Elephant Gate, Carl Jacobsen's mansion, New Carlsberg Glyptotek, Carlsberg museum.
    In case you thought that Budweiser was the only brewery with a team of horses:
    {{gwi:612783}}

So, for everyone:
    {{gwi:612784}}{{gwi:612784}}{{gwi:612784}}{{gwi:612784}}

A guilt and hangover free way to enjoy a nice refreshing beer!! Thanks for for playing. Hopefully I will be less scattered next weekend!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the interesting topic. I wonder if the world will ever get past the swaztika's association with nazism and back to its original meanings.

9 years ago

Bobbie, I doubt that, at least not for a few generations.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Good question, Nancy, meaning one I managed to get the answer to. :-)

Thanks for the fun.

TM

Sponsored