Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Vintage style kitchens?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I love vintage style kitchens. I'd like to do something like this, if I ever remodel the old farmhouse. Has anyone seen a 1920s or 1930s type of kitchen? Any suggestions?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage kitchen

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Oh, yes. You can easily do a kitchen like this. Mine is similar yet on steroids with a dose of neon. I have two friends with kitchens very similar to this. It suits our style of houses. Best of all, you can use a lot of reclaimed items that others will be throwing away!!
    My kitchen is a 1959 Yorktown, and is solid steel which we had powder coated flake metal apple green at the hotrod shop. We have vintage appliances custom painted and sent from a shop which specializes in restorations and they are orange, they were upgraded somewhat electrically but yes, they are energy suckers. My suggestion is to get new, vintage LOOKING appliances if you are concerned about energy or have things like a modern fridge incorporated into your cabinetry.
    Most kitchens like the ones you are looking at are mainly considered "downgrades" in finishes. We have lino squares for tile and a "regular" formica counter...everyone likes it but it isn't the current fad of "real" tile or wood floors or granite counters! The man who renovated our kitchen specializes in this sort of thing. His latest total renovation to a home after a fire was a beauty and he installed a complete 40's style kitchen and built an ajoining windowed mud room/greenhouse/laundry room and the entire thing is wheelchair accessable. It was beautiful and nobody would know it wasn't original to the home!!!

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! GGG, that's exactly the type of thing I'd like to do, if we remodel the farmhouse. Do you have any more details on the windowed mud room/greenhouse/laundry room? That sounds wonderful! :)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I wish I had some photos for you! The rest of that house is a doozy, they are in love with televangelist interiors and have blood red carpets, red velvet queen anne furniture and white plaster animal statues highlighted in gold and black - harkening back to the good old days of Southern 80's TV evangelist sets! They have a sense of humor about it (owner is a pastor).
    That back room is amazing. It is probably 10' wide and at least 30' long. At one end, on a windowless short wall is the washer and dryer tucked under a counter - closed cabinets overtop (the kitchen features glass fronted cabinets up top) and there is a doorway into the kitchen to the left of this. To the left of the door is a large built in butlers pantry - glass topped cabinets and a counter with enclosed cabinets below. Although the cabinets look just like the kitchen they are actually very large and a bit deeper and hold bins of soil and other garden items. There's a single sink in this "potting bench". There is a pull out board like a cutting board the entire length of this cabinet for the wheelchair to slide under.
    Directly opposite is an entire bank of windows starting 3' or so from the floor. The storage in this is recessed so that a wheelchair can fit under it easily and the storage is open for shoes etc. Mostly the lady puts her house plants here.
    On the other short wall are a series of hooks for coats, and then to the right of that an opening for the hallway. The hallway has a bathroom to the right and opposite that is another doorway to the kitchen.

The windows are a bank of windows like this, only longer in length http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/geola8eekJeQ6zbtky1rgg

The cabinets are sort of this style, but a bit more vintage looking http://www.lookiloos.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/01/istock_000006499705small.jpg

Check out this page, look on the left and find the photos of the white kitchen. That looks exactly like the kitchen the people had done, except theirs is larger in every way. They had very high ceilings and a lot of space. http://mdconstructionofsac.com/gallery_k.html

• Kowalski
    11 years ago

I don't know where you're located (I'm in Sarasota) but I just had my new Kitchen Cabinets installed by Jamestown Kitchens and they were incredibly helpful when designing my new kitchen. I'm sure they could help in creating a vintage kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Cabinets by Jamestown Kitchen

• Mpollock
    10 years ago

Hello,
    I have posted this pic for you. it is 1920s kitchen desing

• auntyara
    10 years ago

I love the vintage look. My kitchen is a mix of old and new. I have the beamed ceilings but my cabinets are not fitting into my likings. I want to paint them, but DH would have a cow!
    :) Laura

the link is a FB page

Here is a link that might be useful: too many ideas here.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio