Return to the Cottage Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thursday Tea...last Thursday in September

Posted by lavender_lass WA zone 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 29, 11 at 18:15

It's warmer today and expected to be sunny and in the 70s for the next three days...then rain and 60 degrees. It will probably warm up one more time in early October, then it's usually cool weather and more rain, even snow, by the end of the month.

While it still nice weather, I'm planning an extension to my 'kitchen garden' for next year. My plan is to lay hay out over the areas I want to add as beds (lawn now) and hope it rots down the grass, over the winter. This should make it much easier to turn under and plant, in the spring.

With our short 'frost free' summer (usually June, July and a few weeks in August) it looks like a good idea to plant more perennials and shrubs, especially raspberries and blueberries. I would still like to have some veggie beds, but for now, I think I'll stick with a smaller area for those.

So, today I'm having fun planning and then out to weed a little, after work. While I'm planning, I'm having a wonderful cup of Earl Grey and enjoying the last of our summer :)

Hope you have a lovely Thursday and enjoy your tea!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thursday Tea...last Thursday in September

• Posted by lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 23:03

Sunny and 70s sound great! Enjoy that perfect weather.

I planted some raspberries in a half whiskey barrel this year because I was not sure where else to put them. There were only 3 plants, and I didn't expect anything from them this year, but they did produce a handful of flavorful berries in July, then larger, but less flavorful (probably because of the rain) berries this month.

I'd like to replace at least one azalea foundation shrub with a blueberry, but I am afraid to do so because I've read so much about how a blueberry plant needs exactly the right amount of moisture to thrive.

o
RE: Thursday Tea...last Thursday in September

Hi, Lois. What a great way to plant raspberries! That's one way to keep them from taking over the garden :)

Blueberries are not always that difficult. I think a lot depends on what type of blueberry you choose. Some are very cold hardy and seem to be less tempermental. I've had good luck wih Chippewa and Northland (I think that's the name, it's a smaller blueberry bush, about two feet tall) and I've read that there are other easy to grow ones, too. They don't always have the largest berries, but getting them through our cold winters is my biggest concern.

Have you had any frost, yet? I can't believe it's already October and the apples are starting to get ripe. Hopefully, they'll be ready before we get a really hard freeze. Our first frost was August 21, but that's because we live in a valley...with a creek!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here