Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia:Saturday

Good morning all.

Lots to do today in anticipation of dinner guests this evening and the minimum three-day visit from Sandy who is due to arrive on Sunday and stay at least through Tuesday. All the teachers at school are hoping for a day or two off! We will see. We are not among those who rush to the store when storms threaten, but I was lying in bed last night thinking of some of the fun stuff I should go get-except I have zero patience with the crowds of wild-eyed grabbers. Our basic dairy and farm stuff are delivered on Tuesdays, so we always have something, although I hope Ronnie doesn't come this week if the storm is really bad. I would rather do without than have him in an accident.

Straight to the question: Before he went into business with the McDonald brothers of San Bernardino, California, in 1954, what did McDonalds' franchise founder Ray Kroc sell?

Cynthia

Comments (16)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Happy Saturday morning, Cyn!! Hope the storm misses you!! Now, Mr. Kroc, this is dancing on the edge of my memory. Would it perhaps be more apropos to another franchise??

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Need clues....

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of the items I was musing about buying last night was ice cream. We usually get it from our dairy, but I have been thinking we might not get our delivery this week. I do have some black raspberry left from summer, but I was sort of in the mood for a different concoction for which I normally wouldn't use anything other than chocolate or vanilla.

The McDonald brothers ran a burger joint, btw.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Mr. Kroc might have been a gay royal, in another life??

Nancy.

11 years ago

Mmmmmm, chocolate or vanilla, no strawberry?

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Would this be a liquid beverage?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, you are on the right track, but what did Mr. Kroc sell?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Or supplied the means.....

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

...to create.....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, friends just left, John just picked up his pup, and the house is clean. Aaaah love weekends.

So, more clues? I suspect you are all pretty sure, but just in case...

I always thought it would be cool to have one of these at home, but the McDonald brothers bought eight of them from him which is what got Kroc interested in their burger business. Blenders just aren't the same! Also loved it when we would be given the entire stainless container and not just one serving.

Time to get in my jammies. Planted five hellebores today. Still have several hosta, a kolkwitzia, and an exocorda to plant. If the rain holds off until tomorrow evening that will get done. If not, oh well.

Nancy, I have shown everyone your map of the storm warnings. Still giggling-best thing I've seen in ages.

Sweet dreams all.

Cynthia

11 years ago

My thought is milkshake machines, I'll have vanilla please :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I agree, milkshake machines. Make mine strawberry-banana, please.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

I always liked their chocolate, till they changed the formula...not anymore. Annette, it there a White Dot diner near you? I was introduced to these BC diners and they have/had the best. And yes, with the whole silver container on the side!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

****. For all of you! Yes, Mr. Kroc sold milkshake machines and became interested in the burger business when the McDonald brothers ordered EIGHT machines from him.

The sounds of the old machines is a fond memory. I loved to watch all the ingredients being put into those big steel cups and pushed up onto the machine for mixing. It would be so much fun to have those back. The new dispensers of what amounts to lard desn't quite do it for me. :)

Missing TM. Hope he is off fishing or doing something equally enjoyable.

Have a wonderful week everyone. We are seeing increasing wind at this point, but no rain yet. No school cancellations yet either. :(. I am still hopeful though-can't imagine the dstrict will let the kids stand at a bus stop or want high schoolers driving themselves. Just hope they make the decision tonight, so we don't all have to get up early to find out!

Cynthia

11 years ago

Nancy, we don't have a White Dot but we do have a White Spot and they do serve milkshakes the old fashion way with the container on the side, at least they did the last time we went for one. Dh and I stop in probably once a summer for a shake and a side of fries (chips to me) LOL, not good for the waistline but oh so yummy.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Of course, White Spot!! Ymmmm!!!!

Nancy.

Sponsored