Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning all! I am so glad it is Saturday. Yesterday was grey and gloomy. I just could not seem to wake up- not a good thing when you need to be teaching. I was, however, looking forward to having some of my colleagues over after school for what we call The Poets' Society which is just another name for Happy Hour. People are a little nervous about sending emails that mention a happy hour these days. We are constantly be reminded that emails sent on school computers or accounts belong to the district, blah, blah, blah. Chuck is away this weekend, so I was able to host the event for the first time in over two years! It is also the first time I have really had more than half a glass of anything alcoholic since I am usually driving and we have a rule about that. Surprisingly, no after effects!

So, one of my friends couldn't come because her son was sick. He is so cute and is currently fascinated by pirates....which got me thinking. :)

The origin of something associated with pirates (and sailors in general) began with Vice Admiral William Penn (yes, father of the founder of my home state). Guesses?

Cynthia

Comments (22)

• thinman
    11 years ago

When I was reading your first paragraph I was hoping you were going to ask what P.O.E.T.S. stood for and I was going to pounce on that like Tom on Jerry. Years ago I read about Smithsonian employees having POETS meetings every Friday. I wonder if it's an east coast thing.

About the actual trivia question, let me be the first to be unable to resist saying "Arrrrgh, I don't know the answer." I should be able to get it though, given a little help. I've never been a pirate, but I have been a sailor.

I'll be thinking.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TM, I should have done that! Darn. Okay, we can add that as a bonus. Don't give it away yet, though! ;)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Arrrggghhhh Billy, have ye ever been to sea??? Sorry couldn't resist!! I think I may know the answer, but am not sure so won't add any clues. I'll lurk at bit!!
    Happy Saturday All!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maybe a little more info is in order. Although Penn set the stage, Vice-Admiral Edward Vernon perfected this as a way to help efficiency...or counteract inefficiency in the British Navy-unfortunately, it didn't really change much. ;). Oh, the problems with sea travel. Captain Jack Sparrow has a scene with Penn's innovation in Pirates of the Caribbean.

The wild one is due here any minute. Our dogs love it because they get increased rations on Saturdays and Sundays since Koda doesn't eat in the mornings at home and they get second breakfasts-yes, should have given them hobbit names. Don't feel too bad about that because they run off the extra food.

Back in a while.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

And I don't know what a POETS meeting is, but I love the idea of a convivial happy hour!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Me, too! Yohoho.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Mornin all, I've got a pretty good idea what the answer is and actually had a personal experience with said item, that is if I've got it right.

Glad you had no ill effects from you little get together Cyn, that can really be a bummer LOL.

Have no idea what P.O.E.T.S stands for tho :(.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Does the innovation pertain to a substance that you might have a little tot of to chase away the cold?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Ahhh...now I may be closer!! Splice the Mainbrace!!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Purists would like Admiral Penn. mixologists would have more fun hanging with Vernon.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

All I know about pirates is "Talk Like a Pirate Day". I marked it on my calendar but forgot to look at the calendar that day so missed it this year, arrgh.

Sounds like something to do with an alcoholic drink and as a non-drinker hanging out with non-drinking friends I am mostly ignorant in this area.

Both DH and I also were very sleepy yesterday. I blame late nights and cloudy dark days.

I do know POETS though have not heard it around here. With many people heading to their lakeside cabins on Thursdays the term should be POETF in this area.

Have some shopping to do this afternoon but will check back later.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Do you remember the old comic strip, B.C.? Or perhaps you are a fan of Marvel Comics and Thor. Both have characters with the name of Vernon's creation which employed Penn's choice.

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

So did Penn switch the navy to rum and and then Vernon diluted it a bit and called it by the name of the BC character? If so, what the heck were they drinking before that made Penn's choice seem like a step toward a more sober navy?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh you watermen! So smart.

I am feeling a tad groggy, so will sign off until the am when I will award stars.

BTW, Annette, I love your link to our planet at night. Haven't commented on your post so it will stay at the top!

See you in the morning all. Will answer TM's questions then.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I'm thinking it's good old pussers rum :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The answer is that Penn did make the switch from having ships carry barrels of beer and water. Seems the beer would sour, so they drank that first (ration was one gallon a day per sailor) and then they would switch to water which developed algae and would be slimy. Yuck. Anyway,
    The origin of grog lies with Vice-Admiral William Penn who in 1655, arrived in Barbados and captured Jamaica. Unfortunately Jamaica had few stores of beer or wine. Jamaica did, however, have rum. Penn, therefore, began the use of rum as a ration.

More from the linked website:

By Vernon's time straight rum was commonly issued to sailors aboard ship - and drunkenness and lack of discipline were common problems. On August 21, 1740, Vernon issued an order that rum would thereafter be mixed with water. A quart of water was mixed with a half-pint of rum on deck and in the presence of the Lieutenant of the Watch. Sailors were given two servings a day; one between 10 and 12 AM and the other between 4 and 6 PM. To make it more palatable it was suggested sugar and lime be added. In 1756 the mixture of water and rum became part of the regulations, and the call to "Up Spirits" sounded aboard Royal Navy ships for more than two centuries thereafter. Thus, Vernon is called the "father of grog."

Poets' Society comes from an Aussie saying: Piss Off Early, Tomorrow's Saturday. Seems like the perfect acronym for our teachers' happy hours even though we can't leave early.

**** for TM and Annette. Nancy, did you have it? Waited for a definitive answer, but seems like time should be up now.

Have a marvelous Sunday all!
    Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Grog

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Sorry, I could have been clearer. 'Splice the Mainbrace' is an order given aboard naval vessels to issue the crew with a drink. Originally an order for one of the most difficult emergency repair jobs aboard a sailing ship, it became a euphemism for authorized celebratory drinking afterward, and then the name of an order to grant the crew an extra ration of rum or grog.
    There is a story, which I cannot corroborate online, but Canadian soldiers also received their 'tots' in the Korean conflict, but had terrible rifles - old, easily jammed. The story is that they would save up 'tots' to trade with the American infantrymen to get their better rifles. Wish I could find something better on this....

A mightly bowl on the deck he drew and filled it to the brink;
    Such drank the Berwick's gallant crew and such the Gods shall drink;
    The sacred robe which Vernon wore was drenched within the same;
    And hence its virtues guard our shore and Grog derives its name.

Thanks for the stars and the fun, Cyn. Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, Nancy! **** stars for you. Another new thing learned-yippee!!!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Sorry I didn't get back here last night. I couldn't have missed the answer of grog with your last clue, Cynthia. I remembered that sailors were issued rum as partial payment. I read the B.C. comics but my memory of the strip is foggy.

Thursday afternoons have the worst rush hour traffic here as people take off early to have Thursday night, Friday, Saturday and Sunday at their cabins. Less in the winter but still many go north for ice fishing and snowmobiling.

Thanks for an interesting question and clues that had me racking my memory (even if the results were less than spectacular).

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah well, how about *** for you Bobbie since you knew it, but ddn't quite make it back! Happy Sunday!

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

You are too generous, Cynthia. I wasn't looking for any stars and didn't expect any. Just wanted to share my thinking. Hope you have a good week until your next Poets Society meeting.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Fun question, Cynthia, as always. Thank you.

TM