Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning everyone! The spouse is away today, so I plan to try to get the house clean. That may or may not happen since the wild one will be leaping out of the car soon for his weekly appearance!

So, for today, we are talking toys. Sir John Schorne was a 12th century cleric who was greatly admired by the people of Norfolk. Many people, although not all (but I am ignoring the naysayers), credit him as the inspiration for an 18th c. children's toy. I wonder if you can come up with the name of the toy today.

I will be back with clues.

Cynthia

Comments (14)

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Waiting for clues.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hmmmm...leaping out of the car?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are earlier than usual Bobbie!

Ha-started to answer this half an hour ago, but had to jump up when the dogs began to bark. Our new neighbors were out in their yard and, of course, our idiots were barking. Anyway, they are delightful-two kids who are also delightful and a yellow lab who wasn't with them. They aren't actually moving in until the end of the school year. I am so glad they are nice. We chatted for almost an hour. The best thing is that they are not gardeners and want to take out almost all the plantings in the back. Naturally, I volunteered to take anything they don't want!

John Schorne was well-loved by people in his area. They say he captured the devil in his boot and kept him there. There are paintings of him carrying the boot with the devil's head peeking out.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Good hint, I think. Did John have a common 4 letter nickname?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just popped in (out?) to see if anyone had any ideas. You are all too smart or I am too easy!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

OK, I was thinking I knew this - these scared me as a child!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Sorry, the clues aren't helping me unless the answer is jacks.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, do you know there is a term for fear of clowns? Coulrophobia!

This toy also shares its name with the 16th century term for a swindler who would cheat other tradesmen by delivering empty boxes rather than the expected ones filled with goods.

Bobbie, although you aren't there yet, you have made a connection, but not the right one.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do any of you watch Stephen Colbert? Apparently he was the keynote speaker at the Al Smith dinner. I saw a clip where he me ntioned all our Catholic presidents: John Kennedy, and JFK, and of course, Jack Kennedy. In the context, it was funny.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Think I have got it now, thanks to all the clues. As I was going to bed for a quick nap the image of a (an doesn't sound right) ouija board came to mind. We had one in the early 1960s but found it boring and put it back in the box and don't know what happened to it afterwards. As a wee lass I found the other quite amusing and even enjoyed winding it for the little kids when I was a teenager.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I wonder, do they all play Pop Goes The Weasel?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for TM, Nancy, and Bobbie.

Yes, the jack in the box toy is believed by some to have been inspired by the story of John Schorne. The link has a picture of him with the devil's head popping out of his boot. TM, I wondered the same about the song! I have never heard one play anything else. Nancy, I think lots of wee one find them scary at first. I think they can be a tad creepy myself. Bobbie, I rather wish I had rescued and kept our Ouija board when we cleaned out my parents' house. We loved it when we were in our pre-teen and early teen years!

Thanks for playing. Have a fun Sunday you three. It is pretty chilly here, but I have things to plant, so I guess I will have to bundle up and head outside later. Maybe it will warm up around noon.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: John Schorne

• thinman
    10 years ago

Great question, Cynthia. The boot with the devil's head peeking out was the tip-off for me. Thank you once again for the Saturday fun.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the clues which helped me earn the stars. Fun question that had me thinking all day.

Sponsored