Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Brrrr. It is really cold here today. I am talking winter weather below freezing. Crazy. The gods are not smiling on my desire to finish planting this weekend. So, temps what they were even here in the house, I stayed abed until 8:00-lovely.

So, right to today's question. Are you Harry Potter fans? One character is Professor Trelawney who was played by Emma Thompson in the movies. She is the teacher of Divination (telling the future) at Hogwarts. Alas, no one believes her predictions.

The reason for that is only hinted at in the book. Any thoughts?

Cynthia

Comments (15)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Wow, you're colder than we are this morning. That doesn't happen very often.

I do have a thought on the trivia, that thought being I'm up the creek on this one. I haven't read Harry Potter books or seen the movies. It's possible that a hint may save me.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It may not have actually hit 32 degrees, TM, but we are down into the mid 30s overnight these days. Ugh. I really see no reason for cold weather unless it is snowing. :) Then, I love it! Weathermen are not unlike seers-and we don't trust their predictions either.

Would it help to know that Sybill Trelawney's gift of prophecy was handed down though her great grandmother Cassandra Trelawney?

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Well, Cassandra sounds like a name from mythology, another one of those subjects that, if I knew something about, I would do better with crosswords.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

It is cold here these last couple of days, and I have come down with the sniffles! Yuck. So I am sleeping too much and feeling sorry for myself. Boo-hoo. It's supposed to be nice tomorrow, but it's about 40 of your degrees today.

Would they perhaps be Greek?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, yes, Greek mythology might explain everyone's failure to believe Prof. Trelawney.

The cold weather has me inside and doing nothing other than laundry and watching some stupid movie about unrequited love. It is, of course, a French film, but one that has been dubbed in English which makes it seem much worse than if it were still in French. Sigh.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I'm with TM, no idea. I read the first book and was bored so did not read the others. The first book didn't have much about Hogwarts.

Will check back later. Leaves are falling and need to be gathered today. I use the mower as we have a mulcher and bag the leaves to put on my gardens.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree about the books. They were, however, favorites of students, even my LD students were reading them which was a first. I found them highly derivative and boring unlike books for children by truly great authors (Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Louisa Alcott, Frances Hodgson Burnett (The Secret Garden), etc. Those authors stand the test of time and can be enjoyed by adults, too.

So, hmmm, why would no one believe a seer? Certainly through no fault of her own. Cassandra was given the gift of divination by Apollo. Poor Professor Trelawney. It wasn't as if she rejected a suitor.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Who decorates their homes for Halloween? I'm thinking of creating a witches cauldron with dry ice, and giving away free curses...

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, the good news is that I came across an idea for next week already, but the bad news is we are stuck with this trivia for today. So sorry.

Anyway, let's see if some hints will give it to you. Apollo fell in love with the Trojan princess Cassandra and gave her the gift of predicting the future. Alas, she did not return his affections. Now, how to punish her? Read back through other posts and you should make the connection between Hogwart's professor and the classical reference. I think Nancy may know.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I might know, but no one will believe me~~oh my!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

At one time I was well versed in the Greek myths. When he was five years old my son found a book of Greek myths that I had from a college course. We read that book over and over. Amazing what can be passed from mother to child.

I know that Apollo cursed Cassandra when she did not return his affections and I know the curse. Assume that the same curse affected Professor Trelawney. Relatively easy to connect the dots now.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for Nancy and Bobbie. Yes, the link, probably intentional, is that Prof. Trelawney inherited the curse from her great-grandmother Cassandra Trelawney who must have been descended (fiction, remember) from the original Cassandra. She was cursed by Apollo when she did not return his affections-her gift of seeing was not taken away, but he cursed her so that no one would ever believe her predictions. That became a huge problem for the Trojans when they discounted her warnings about that giant horse outside the gates to the city. Hehheh.

Anyway, despite being a bit of a fraud, Prof. Trelawney's predictions, like those of Cassandra, are never given any credence. Must have been frustrating.

Thanks for playing. Hope you have a fun week. I am already working on clues for next Saturday, so maybe that will be more interesting!

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia. I struck out on this, but I'll be back next week, swinging again.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun, Cyn. I should read up on mythology again - I always enjoyed that!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and interesting question, Cynthia. Now to find that old Greek mythology book.

Sponsored