Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Well, it is a rainy Saturday Morning here. This week saw the return of Summer, if only for a few days, but now it seems Fall is back. Oh well, picking up some more bulbs to get planted, and looking for bulb food - how did that suddenly become so hard to find??!!

Well, I had saved a great link for a question this week - can I find it?? Noooooooo. Oh well, desperation has set in and I ended up surfing the web, and landed on This Day in Music. This should be fun.

1. In 1957, Elvis was voted the Number 2 singer in the world. Who was voted #1?

2. In 1978, a country music star/legend was abducted, beaten and held in her car for two hours by a kidnapper wearing a ski mask. He held a gun on her and forced her to drive 90 miles from Nashville, Tennessee. She was later released and the kidnapper escaped... Who was the star?

3. In 1962, an instrumental track went on to be the first major hit from a UK act on the American chart also reaching No.1. Any ideas?

4. 1961, Bob Dylan played a showcase at New York's Carnegie Hall. To the nearest hundred, how many people attended?

5. And finally, we lost a great voice on this day in 1970. Who did we lose?

There will be clues, but this shouldn't be too much of a challenge, except possibly for TM - lol. Or perhaps not!! I'll be back with clues for all later this morning! In the meantime, I am off to a neighbouring, quaint town for a little shopping - yes, even in the rain.

Nancy.

Comments (15)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, good ones! I think I know or have reasonable guesses for 3 or 4 of them.

Will wait for clues to confirm or not! :)

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, I haven't read through the the rest yet but in my part of the world Elvis came out as #1 in 1954. If it's who I'm thinking it is I smell fix, fix, fix, LOL.

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

Yep, this is indeed a challenge for me. I'm not yet coming with up with anything, although I can name a few famous/legendary female country music singers that might fit number 4. Duh! I meant number 2.

We'll see what time, thinking and hints might do for me. Are you sure you don't have any more science questions?

TM

This post was edited by thinman on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 14:34

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I think I know 1 and 2. Waiting for clues.
    Like TM I am more apt to get the science questions but I love music and have a smattering of music knowledge and like music questions as well.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

#1 is safe as vanilla, and mostly a cover artist. According to an opinion poll of high school students in 1957, the singer was nearly the "two-to-one favorite over Elvis Presley among boys and preferred almost three-to-one by girls...". During the late 1950s, he made regular appearances on ABC-TV's Ozark Jubilee, hosted by his father-in-law.

#2 was Divorced 5 times!!

#3 is kinda spacey.

#4 I saw Dylan live once, on a double-bill with Joni Mitchell. It sounds like the '61 concert was less of a zoo!!

#5 knew Big Brother was watching her!!

There you go, a few clues. Let's see what you make of them.

Had a great shop in the nearby town - lots of artists galleries and antique shops. After Joyce had groomed the dogs we all went to the Farmer's market where they were having a chili cook-off in aid of the local Food Bank. $5 gave you a taste of 3 different chilis, a fresh made bun and a vote. Yum.

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Hey, I think I have number 3, but I won't tell. Thanks, Nancy.

Number one sounds like maybe a country/pop artist. Trying to work vanilla in there somewhere.

It sounds like Dylan's concert wasn't a smash. I don't think I had even heard of him yet in 1961.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess vanilla to me is boring, and I always thought this guy was boring- his daughter too.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Here you go....
    #1 P.B.
    #2 T.W.
    #3 Telstar ?
    #4 100?
    #5 J.J. ?

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Here are mine. Edited to add names

1. PB Pat Boone
    2. TW Tammy Wynette
    4. 200
    5. JJ. Janis Joplin

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 11:39

• thinman
    9 years ago

1. Are we talking white bucks here? When I read boring I immediately thought of Mr. Bland and seeing Annette and Bobbie's answers sealed the deal.

2. Couldn't settle on any one lady, but I guess I know who TW is.

3. When I wrote that I wouldn't "tell", I was thinking of Telstar. Listening to it nowadays, I can't figure out what the big deal was.

4. Some small number.

5. Hmmm, who was JJ?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

1. Agree with P.B. Parents met him at a party once.
    2. Hmm, okay, will go with TW. Didn't #1 record the song that had her first name as its title? Did you plan that?
    3. I was thinking of P.F and Dark Side...
    4. Probably very small-100?
    5. Saw this singer at the Atlantic City Pop Festival when I was a teen. She was amazing. Such a loss.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I have JJ now. it came to me as I was lying in bed last night.

My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lol. Everybody got it!! Great. Some days just resonate, eh!!??

1. Yep, Pat Boone was number one. There had to be something in the water!!

2. Tammy Wynette was called the "First Lady of Country Music". Multiple hits and multiple divorces marked a tumultuous life. She got no rest, even in death, as she was buried, exhumed, buried again, and had her name changed a couple of times on her tombstone. Kinda feel sorry for her.

3. Yep, Telstar, by the Tornados. The record was named after the Telstar communications satellite, which was launched into orbit on 10 July 1962. It was written and produced by Joe Meek, and featured a clavioline, a keyboard instrument with a distinctive electronic sound. It was recorded in Meek's studio in a small flat above a shop in Holloway Road, North London. "Telstar" won an Ivor Novello Award and is estimated to have sold at least five million copies worldwide. It was covered by the Ventures.

4. In 1961, Bob Dylan played a showcase at New York's Carnegie Hall to 53 people.

5. US singer Janis Joplin was found dead at the Landmark Hotel Hollywood after an accidental heroin overdose. Joplin had the posthumous 1971 US No.1 single 'Me And Bobby McGee', and the 1971 US No.1 album 'Pearl'.

So, good effort everyone!! For all:
    {{gwi:614305}}{{gwi:614305}}{{gwi:614305}}{{gwi:614305}}

See you all next week, maybe I'll even find that link I thought I'd saved!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Telstar by the Tornados

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Ohh, telestar satellites! Nice! Thanks for the entertaining question, Nancy. You were very generous with the rewards.

Perhaps Pat Boone was rated first due to to movie April Love released that year. I knew/know most of Boone's music but once I saw and heard Elvis I became a lifelong fan.

Read a bio by one of Wynette's daughters a few years ago where she said her mother admitted that the kidnapping was fake to hide the fact that her husband was beating her. Sad life.

I remember this song but don't remember it being as grating as the link version.

Not a fan of Dylan's voice but he is a great songwriter.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Love the satellites! I don't deserve them. Didn't think of that.

Thanks for the fun! I agree with everything Bobbie said!

Cynthia

Sponsored