Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schoolhouse_gw

The Victorian Farm

schoolhouse_gw
13 years ago

I got an email this morning from Amazon UK about this DVD set - I ordered it! You also get a bonus Christmas DVD set with it. Canadian GW's, you've probably seen this series, is it a good one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian Farm DVD set

Comments (36)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

No, I haven't seen it but it sounds like a good one. If I bought it I'd have to get DH to wave his magic wand over it as it's a region 2 DVD :).

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm lucky, I bought a converted DVD player when I purchased the "Victorian Garden" series last year (or was it two years ago?). In USA currency, the Farm DVD set cost me $30.35. Yikes, but I couldn't resist.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, I think I would like this one even better. The Edwardian Era is my favorite. Maybe next time:

Here is a link that might be useful: The Edwardian Farm

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Annette, look what I just found online - "The Victorian Farm" documentary. And I just paid $30 for the DVD, when I could have watched it for free here.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/victorian-farm/

There is a web site that lists documentaries under a variety of subjects, and I have watched several over the past few days (mostly History). Well, this must have been why Amazon UK sent me the email about the TVF DVD? Because awhile ago I was browsing the doc.web site under the subject of "Society", and here I see TVF. The internet is tricky! Maybe it's a huge coincidence. ha.

Anyway, you should be able to watch it free here. I don't whether to go ahead and watch it or wait for the DVD. More than likely, I won't be able to wait!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Victorian Farm online

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, that's a bummer. Looks like a person will have to let the entire program load before you can watch it without the content buffering the whole time. At least on my computer.

• thinman
    13 years ago

I just tried watching it Schoolhouse, and my connection is also too slow. I watched the first two 10 minute sections, but had to quit when the starting and stopping were driving me nuts. Very interesting.

ThinMan

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

It worked on my computer, but we have internet from our cable company, so that may make a difference. Looks fascinating. There was a show with a similar premise in the US years ago. Never did watch that one. Don't know why. May have to look for this at the library.

Thanks!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have a cable modem that's high speed, but the video just wouldn't load fast enough. Amazon UK emailed me today that the DVD set was mailed out but I wouldn't receive it until November 8th!

You know, I never think to check the local library first. Being it's an import I'm not sure ours would have it. cyn427, a program I remember that was shown here wasn't a farm, and was called "The 1901 House". And then there was the series about the pioneers who had to live off the land. Is that the one you mean? You'd think those would be at the library.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did manage to find the one about the 1900's Manor House. It's chopped up a bit, not quite sure how to find all the parts in the right order, listed on the left of the page; but I'm going to start watching it now.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Manor House

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I watched the entire "The Manor House" series this past weekend, and then had a marathon of "1900 House" right to the end tonight. I swear I need to get up away from this computer; but that site has these great series from years ago that I loved. It even has "Frontier House". Do you remember that one? Plus I saw one titled "Colonial House" that I would really enjoy, but lost the point of download for that one. I assumed it was a house series like the others. But I think I'd better take a break, I'm not getting anything else done!

Makes me wish I hadn't ordered "The Victorian Farm" because I could have watched it there too; but apparently there is a bonus Christmas episode or something with the DVD set I bought. And no, I can't cancel because they sent me an email yesterday that it had been shipped. ha. Oh, well I'm sure I'll be happy to have it.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got my Victorian Farm DVD set from Amazon UK already, in the mailbox awhile ago. No TV tonight, I'll be "on the farm". And yes, there is a bonus Victorian Farm Christmas DVD.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm loving it. A must-see. Only two more episodes left, sigh. But then I'll watch the Christmas DVD.

Very entertaining and also very educational, esp. if you enjoy history. Ok,this is my last post about TVF.

13 years ago

Whoo Hoo, It's airing on our Knowledge Network starting tomorrow night. I don't know if the link below will work for everybody but if it does you should be able to watch all the episodes on line after they've aired. The Christmas episode is due to air here on Dec7.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: The Victorian Farm

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh I'm so glad for you!! Guess what? I said I would wait until after Thanksgiving to watch the Christmas episode - but I just couldn't and have been watching it this afternoon. It is three, one-hour episodes, as the three return to the farm a year later. I love it. I'm learning so much,too.

We will all have to discuss it after you've watched!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

That looks really interesting. I get The Learning Channel, but I've never heard of the Knowledge Network.

I remember seeing something like this, in Texas I think. It was supposed to be a family living on a ranch, negotiating with the local indians, and making a go of the ranch, sometime in the 1800's, I believe.

The guys did pretty well, but the wife and daughters were spoiled and didn't clean up their mess, after making a big dinner, for their meeting with the indian tribe. With the heat and everything, flies moved in everwhere and it was awful. Moral of the story...do your dishes! LOL

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavender lass, I wonder if I could find the series you speak of online? Interesting.

Well, Annette - did you get to watch The Victorian Farm? What do you think so far?

13 years ago

Ha! One of life's little annoyances, I haven't seen it yet :(. I set it to record on my PVR and when I went to watch it I got the History of Scotland instead. One of those times when the schedule and lineup says one thing and...... Uuuuurgghh. The next episode is supposed to air on the 9th, at least that's what the schedule says, have the PVR set to record just in case I forget. At this rate I might have to just end up buying it.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm wondering if you could find it at your library? I wish I would have waited to watch the Christmas DVD closer to the holiday. It was special. Made me want to start baking Christmas pies and other goodies.

Guess I'd better think about Thanksgiving first.

• ianna
    13 years ago

I think I had watch a show called teh Victorian Kitchen.. it was interesting.

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ianna, I bought The Victorian Kitchen DVD series last year(?). Really enjoy it.

13 years ago

Just watched another episode of the Victorian Farm, brought back memories of my grandmother busy in the kitchen making head cheese and jellied tongue. I don't care how delicious they're supposed to taste, there was no way in hades they could get me to eat them, just the thought still makes me shudder. The same goes for tripe, after you smell that cooking YUCK!!! Watching the fiddle pie made brought to mind the Melton Mowbray pork pie gran made, I absolutely loved a slice of this with hot mustard and a piece of toast. Her trifles and plum puddings were also favorites of mine. Gran came from the town Melton Mowbray where the pie originated. I think I missed the episode last week darn, how many episodes are there, the preview for the next one I can get involves a train ride.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are six one-hour episodes, three episodes to each disc (tot of 360min.) The bonus Christmas DVD is 177min. long. I will have to look up the town of Melton Mowbray.

I attempted to make a pork pie one time. My boss's mother-in-law traveled to England and I asked her to bring back a pork pie mold for me! In my favorite cookbook, "English Country Cooking at it's Best" by Caroline Conran, there was a recipe for pork pie; and I just had to try it. I followed the recipe faithfully, gathering salt pork, bacon, pork bones and pork. Mostly I remember the taste of the peppercorns and the cold jellied stock in the pie, eaten cold - an unfamiliar taste to me! The crust was thick and hard too, ha.

I just went and found the cookbook, there is a recipe for trifle on page 110.

The DVD set of "Tales from Green Valley" came last week, and I watched the entire thing the same day. The same three people from Victorian Farm recreate farm life in 1620.

13 years ago

I guess it all comes down to what you're used to, I grew up with MMP Pie, always eaten cold and yes, the pastry is hard, I found it to be quite rich so only ate it by the slice. Gran didn't use a mold, she was pretty good at forming the shell freeform just like the fiddly pie on victorian farm, I guess that's why the thick pastry. Once in awhile I come across a bakery that sells this pie and of course have to buy one, not DH's favorite, not a bad thing though, all the more for me. I keep thinking I should try and make one but I never seem to get around to it.

Another thing from the past, gran used to knit me bed socks (socks with no heels for those who don't know what they are), the tops weren't ribbed so had ribbon threaded around the tops when tied the socks stayed on most of the time. Sure nice to have on when you slipped into those linen sheets on a chilly night, when it was really cold she'd get the warming pan down off the wall, fill it with hot coals from the fireplace and run it in between the sheets. The heat from the wood furnace never reached the upstairs bedrooms.
    Gran made trifle quite often to use up cake that was getting a little dry this had brandy or sherry liberally sprinkled over it, a can of fruit salad or peaches she had put up, custard and I think she also put strawberry jam in it. This was topped with whipped cream. Geez I just had supper and now I'm hungry again LOL.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love hearing your stories, Annette. It's morning here and I'm cooking breakfast; but I'm hungry to try trifle now!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Okay, all these pork recipes and tongue, didn't sound very good, but I think the trifle has definite possibilities! :)

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I may have to invest in some DVD's now that we have a player! This sounds great.
    I grew up wearing bed socks! My feet are horribly cold all the time (well, they were. Now Bippie keeps them toasty), so it was always bed socks. If I was lucky my mom would heat a stone and put it in the bed warmer and put that in my bed. She liked to keep the house so cold. My grandma always put me to bed with the hot water bottle or I'd freeze at night in her place when the stove went out.
    Grandma made trifle with the last of the lovely jelly cake she would bake. We always had proper meat pies with that thick crust. Usually in a mold so that it would hold the drips. My Mom made a meat pie with a thinner consistency at home as that was how my dad's Welsh family made them. At grandmas we had a much thicker pie with suet. We always at odd cuts of meat, and sometimes what was considered "odd" meats for city folks - they are why I became a vegetarian :) Grandma did make head cheese and jelly tongue all the time too, Annette!

13 years ago

Watched another episode tonite, next week the christmas episodes start so it looks like I've missed 3 episodes of the victorian farm, just might have to buy the DVD if the knowledge network (a B.C. station) doesn't repeat them.

GGG, you still reading this thread? Did your grandmother make pickled walnuts? My grandparents had a huge walnut tree, gran used to pick them green before the shells formed and pickled them (never did acquire a taste for those either). They also had two apple trees, a mac, the other I can't remember the variety. A prune plum, a damson plum (made awesome jam), a queen anne cherry, also a peach and a apricot tree. They also had raspberries, strawberries logan berries, gooseberries, red and black currents. They also kept chickens. She did a LOT of canning, they were almost but not quite self sufficient :).

Annette

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

Annette, my grandma did not make pickled walnuts that I ate. I somehow remember them, but I think my uncle made them. He lived in Leamington, Ontario (eventually) and did a lot of foraging. I remember being 16 and fascinated with his forage and that got my mind working...
    Grandma did not grow much fruit. We had gooseberries which I love, rhubarb (my favorite fruit, that I never get here), wild raspberries and currents. Grandma did some canning in my day, and I remember going into the scarey basement to get things from down there - but she didn't do anywhere near as much as when my mom was a child. My grandfather was an engineer on the boats of the Great Lakes and was only home with pay in the winter. So she had to make do and can etc. to last the rest of the year. They had their own cow, and I imagine either they had a chicken or two or a neighbor did. My mom said Nana preserved eggs in glasine. My grandmother was not the best of cooks at all. My favorite things she made were pancakes with a smear of butter and brown sugar, rolled up and eat for tea, or a dollop of fried oatmeal with a bit of brown sugar. Yum. She also always made fried green tomatoes, which she grew up with, and laughed at people thinking they were Southern.
    Cheese was always potted!

13 years ago

Oops, I forgot they grew rhubarb too, it is too bad you can't grow it where you live but rhubarb needs that cold winter. I put in a link where you can watch a full episode of victorian farm it works for me, I hope it works for others.

Annette

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian Farm

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

I watched some last night, on a link from above...but when it got to Christmas, I had to stop. They were preparing to eat a friend...oh, boy. I can't handle that!

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

girlgroup, just remember you'll have to have a "de-coded" DVD player to play the DVDs like TVF. They are from the UK. Or if you have someone that is handy with electronics, they may be able to convert your present DVD player so it accepts the foreign DVDs.

• girlgroupgirl
    13 years ago

We can get that all transferred here. Not a problem. My friend works in a copy shop that transers from European to regular DVD, and also will put video on DVD. It's been handy (and inexpensive with a friend there!!)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

Hmmm... Looks like a great series to watch as I bake and cook this week... Thanks!

13 years ago

Our Knowledge Network had a Victorian Farm/Christmas marathon on yesterday so I got to watch some of the episodes I missed. Very enjoyable, I had missed the one about making a paper blanket.

Annette

• schoolhouse_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My friend brought lunch today, and we've been watching "Tales From Green Valley" all afternoon. We're up to the Christmas episode, and when this is finished she has to head for home. It was a nice day.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    13 years ago

I bought a dinky little elliptical exercise machine (has no handles) and DH set up a laptop on top of a bookshelf in the livingroom. I have been watching Victorian Farm while 'ellipting' all week.

Sponsored