Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Cold, wet, and rainy here. I am one of those who actually wishes it were snow instead of rain! Had it been snow, I would have jumped right out of bed. As it is, I rolled over and snoozed for an extra hour-lovely. Now, with my tea made and lights turned on to ward off the gloomy day, I am feeling a little bit cozier than when I first got up.

Straight to trivia. With Halloween almost here, I have been thinking candy even though we will be out that night. Can you guess what candy was the first penny candy to be individually wrapped for sale? If you want this to be multiple choice, let me know.

Have a wonderful morning all. I will be back later. Oh and last weekend's trivia was terrific. Happy to turn over the reins anytime, TM! :)

Cynthia

Comments (22)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Morning All! Sunny and coldish here. Off to work here - Halloween Potluck at work today. People have been plying me with Candy all week.

I am thinking of my favourite yummy chewy candy, but I never know what it is called, and you don't see it much here anymore. I will come back later for clues!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I can think of two different candies that I think are pretty old, but I don't know at all if either one is the answer. One has the same name as a certain sensible shoe style for women, and the other has the same initials as the 26th U.S. president.

I'll be checking back.

ThinMan

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

My first thought was the candy (and yes, it is yummy and chewy) I bought 2 for a penny when I visited my grandpa and he gave us each a dime for candy. Same initials as the 26th U.S. president, born on Oct. 27.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

The only one that comes to mind is one I didn't like, I much preferred the Candied apples, popcorn balls, peanut brittle and fudge the mom's made for the kids in our neighborhood. So sad how times have changed, this type of treat isn't exceptable to hand out anymore, too many health issues and sickos out there. We don't have many little tricKer treaters in our neighborhood anymore but I always stock up just in case. I buy stuff DH likes he's the one with the sweet tooth in our house, it disappears in short order whether we have trick or treaters or not. A clue to what I think the answer to this trivia question is here somewhere if you don't see it Cyn I'll point it out later.

Annette

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Oh such sweet fun! I do the same as you Annette. My DH is the one with the sweet tooth. I also buy extra bags of the bite size chocolate bars for Dad in the nursing home. He has the best chocolate stash in the place! Back in the house I did all my Halloweening in, old Mrs Statz used to make popcorn balls every year, Mrs. White made homemade fudge and Deckers at the other end handed out puffed wheat blls! It was so much fun and still is on our block. It's like a block party here for a couple of hours on Halloween night.

I have done no decorating outside yet as it is cold, rainy and windy. I hope the weather changes tomorrow so I can get my yard ready for the kiddies.

To the trivia....Hmmmm....my first thought is some kind of taffy. Like salt water taffy or candy kisses but neither one of them have the same initials as Teddy.....??

Oh, I got it....I think......I just picked up a bag of them yesterday at Walmart cause I always run out of candy so I picked up a bag of Tootsie Rolls and Candy Corn. The candy corn is my favorite cause I can carry them in my purse and I'll give the TRs to Dad. He loves to suck on them so they don't stick to his dentures. LOL!!

Ginny

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I don't remember Tootsie Rolls as penny candy. I do remember Bit O Honey and Chico Stix (sp?). The Vermont Country Store (catalog and on-line sales) has a lot of old-fashioned items for sale. Items which people think are no longer manufactured. For instance, they have Breck shampoo and Walnetto candy.

A friend once lamented that her favorite salad dressing was no longer obtainable, that she hadn't had it since they quit making it. I knew I had seen it in the VCS catalog. I didn't say anything, but she was soon surprised to receive two bottles in the mail. She was ecstatic! My mom mentioned that she hadn't had her favorite sandwich spread since she left England. (I had seen that stuff in the catalog, too.) Mom was extremely surprised when I sent her a couple of jars. VCS also has liniments, salves and other "medicinals" which people think are no longer available.

12 years ago

I forgot about Tootsie Rolls, darn :(, better luck tomorrow.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are just too smart!

Okay, just for fun, let's add a second question today.

What do Michael Landon, Peter Jackson, John Candy, and Dan Rather have in common?

Cynthia

Ha-it is now snowing here! Love it!

12 years ago

Just got my BD messages on FB. All my Scorpio friends! Michael Landon was one of my favorite actors although I'll admit it all started with his horse, Cochise. I'm a horse lover through and through. Later in my years I became interested in astrology and ML is a Scorpio. Hmmmm..... are they all Scorpios?? Or better yet, are they all Halloween babies?? My neighbour was born on Oct 30th so we really go all out on Halloween for her birthday! Tomorrow is free birthday meal at our favorite dive here in the neighbourhood.

You can keep the snow Cynthia! It will come here soon enough and LOTS of it!!

Ginny

12 years ago

I'll go with birthdays, you can add Deidre Hall to the list :).

Annette

12 years ago

I think Dale Evans was also born on Halloween. Again, another horse connection with Roy Roger's Trigger. And, I believe, David Ogden Stiers of MASH fame as well.

Didn't Houdini die on Halloween? In the water trick?

Ginny

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Houdini did die on Halloween, but he died of peritonitis.

Yep, Dale Evans, was a Halloween baby, too, as was Vermeer, Jane Pauley, Dick Francis, Tom Paxton, and Juliette Gordon Lowe who founded the Girl Scouts (hey that should have been my question! How are the Girl Scouts and Halloween connected?! Darn).

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Well darn - I'm back too late for it all, but that's OK. I wouldn't have know any of it!! lol. Candy Kisses is what I was trying to think of....does anyone remember the black ones, as well as the orange ones?? Maybe it's a no longer in Canada thing. I am running into that a lot these days. 8(

Sigh, oh well.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Go ahead and guess on the first one Nancy. Even though the clues that became guesses make it pretty obvious, I haven't yet bestowed stars! The second one was really just for fun since it was easy to solve when coupled with the first and the subject of Halloween.

Cynthia

12 years ago

Heck Nancy those peanut butter tasting candies were what I thought it was, were they called Candy Kisses? DH loved them way back when but I didn't, yuck. The black ones if I remember correctly tasted like liquorice,those were yummy.

Annette

12 years ago

Yep, Candy Kisses! I remember the black ones! They were my favorites! In fact I didn't even like the other ones but we got lots of them in our pillowcaes back then! I know the black ones tasted like licorice but not the peanut butter ones. I thought those ones tasted like mollasses and they came in orange halloween wrappers. Can't find them anywhere anymore! Although this year I did find salt water taffy at Walmart. It's gone now! Lol I also remember a lot of peanuts, apples, bubblegum, and raisins along with homemade treats. It was all so much fun!

Ginny

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I grew up on a farm and no one came to our house for trick or treating. We went into town and hit most every house in our small community. Only rarely did anyone give out homemade treats which were not appreciated by us kids. Store bought candy was the rarity for us, not homemade goodies.

Homemade popcorn balls and fudge were Christmas treats.

Tootsie Rolls were not only appreciated because they stretched that dime but also because they were chewy and lasted longer than some candies. The ones we bought were about 3" long and skinny, not the short fatter ones. My favorite penny candies were lemon drops, lasted a long time and were delicious.

I don't remember candy kisses being anything except chocolate.

12 years ago

These are the candy kisses I remember. The darker ones were the mollasses ones and not as good as the light colored creamier ones.

{{gwi:614406}}

{{gwi:614408}}

{{gwi:614410}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

**** for Bobbie, TM, Nancy, Annette and Ginny for getting one or both answers.

Tootsie Rolls were the first individually-wrapped penny candies. Tootsie Rolls debuted in 1896, introduced by Leo Hirshfield of New York, who named them after his daughter�s nickname, "Tootsie."

They were also included in GI rations during WWII.

Of course, you all knew the birthday one!

Happy Sunday. Our sun is back and the dogs are happy to be out and dry and running around with the grandpup.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia. I didn't know about the birthdays. Interesting!

Cynthia - I'm enjoying your trivia questions and I'm not absolutely dying to do it again myself, but if you are getting a little weary of it, I'll jump back in again.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, TM. I was just worrying that my questions aren't as interesting and good as yours, but I will continue to muddle though if you like them . Notice, however, that it takes TWO of us to take your place! :)

Oh, and I can't do the stars like either you or Nancy. :(

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

lol - thanks for pointing that out Cyn!! It's true. Also, no stars for me, I was thinking of Candy Kisses!!

Nancy.