Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

It`s a gorgeous, sunny Sunday morning here, Cottagers! Dinner yesterday was wonderful, and we get to do it all over again today! Friends and family, I love it!

Everybody has, on occasion, looked up a word in a dictionary and let their eye wander to the next word and thought: "Really? There's a word for that?". And isn't it sad that the internet will curtail that very pleasurable pursuit...but I digress. Whether it's the little plastic aglets on the end of your shoelaces or the nurdle of toothpaste squeezed onto your toothbrush in the morning, here are some obscure, OK, very obscure words - can you guess their real meanings?

1. Wamblecropt
a. lost in a corn field
b. overcome with indigestion
c. idiocy

2. Sprunt
a. to chase girls around among the haystacks after dark
b. an old fat dog running
c. an alternative form of runt.

3. Groke
a. to choke due to gluttony
b. to gaze at someone while they're eating, hoping for a bite.
c. sexual misconduct.

4. Uhtceare
a. pre-dawn anxiety.
b. mother's care.
c. wild abandon.

5. Snollygoster
a. a carefree ghost.
b. a slippery hill.
c. a dishonest or corrupt politician

6. Ultracrepidarian
a. someone older than 90.
b. someone who gives their opinion on something they know nothing about.
c. a sycophant.

7. Gongoozle
a. an early form of bamboozle.
b. a sticky mess.
c. to stare idly at water.

8. Snudge
a. to snuggle into a small nook or cranny, as a child/puppy/kitten would, into your body.
b. to ignore
c. to stride around as though you're terribly busy, when in fact you're doing nothing.

9. Feague
a. to fake illness.
b. to put a live eel up a horse's bottom.
c. a league of eels.

10. Sir Richard has taken off his considering cap
a. to take up position on the "throne".
b. a slang term meaning drunk.
c. to completely ignore one's present company.

Fun, eh? It was fun for me to make the fake ones up, as these words are sooo funny. Clues will be difficult, but I have a few ideas. So put your collective thinking caps ON (no clue, btw), and see what you can come up with for these.

Nancy.

Comments (29)

• auntyara
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good morning all,
    windy and a bit chilly here in NY. The trees are losing their leaves, and I have been having fun gathering them for my already over sized compost. I've also been spreading them over my veggie patches and annual gardens. I love/ hate the fall.
    What a fun trivia question this is!
    I haven't a clue. lol I'm suspicious you made them up. just kidding.
    I'll wait on making wild guesses.
    :) Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh oh oh. This will be fun. Glad to see you back, Laura and I agree they sound like silly, made-up words. I will be back with my guesses. I really love the words and choices. Very funny! With one of them (5), I know which answer I would like to be the right one. ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Welcome to Sunday, Ladies! It is good to see you, Laura.

Well, yes - silly words to have fun with today. No.5 may not be apropos for you Cyn, though wouldn't the timing be great if so!! The answer might be a little bit correct in the situation, even so.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

OK, quite the challenge you have laid out for us, Nancy. I've never heard of any of them, so my strategy will be to try to figure out which of the definitions sound like you made them up and eliminate them. That probably won't work.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol, TM - it would be a good strategy, except since it did this last night I now have to look at my answer sheet to know right from wrong. Some of them are just plain silly, and others are Scottish - some might say it's the same thing!!

Nancy - who will definitely remember the nurdle of toothpaste!!

• auntyara
    10 years ago

thanks everyone for the warm welcome back :)
    I think I got #10 well a wild guess. Irish and Scottish have strong stereo type associations.

Here is a link that might be useful: what's going on at my house

This post was edited by auntyara on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 12:17

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Haha Nancy.

Laura, what a transformation! You have been busy. That is a wonderful piece of land, too. I envy you and TM your large properties.

I am using the same strategy as TM. We'll see how that works out. Not terribly hopeful, but having fun! Too bad about 5. I thought that would be a marvelous name for so many of those across the river from us.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I actually know a couple of these and have an idea on a couple of others. Some are such fun definitions for the word that I think those must be made up.

My daughter in law loves all things Finnish and has told me of the Groke, think scary wintery creature, but that does not fit any definitions listed.

On my way home this week I wanted to stop at the Pipestone National Monument but it was closed due to the actions of the snollygosters. Seems like many of them are ultracrepidarians, snudges who should sit on the banks of the Potomac and gongozzle instead.

Sunny and clear but very cool. Will wait until later this afternoon to work in the garden. Laundry beckons me now.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 15:53

• auntyara
    10 years ago

ahha! good clues mnwsgal. I think I see a theme.
    thanks
    thanks cyn, we only own about half an acre.The houses are spaced pretty far apart so it just looks like it's all mine lol.

• thinman
    10 years ago

OK, here are my guesses, unencumbered by the thought process.
    1 c
    2 a
    3 b
    4 c
    5 b
    6 b
    7 b
    8 a
    9 b
    10 a

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

TM you crack me up. I didn't check your answers and I'm not ready to start my own wild guesses yet . Enjoyed the the laugh!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol. Bobbie, you're GOOOOOD!!! This groke is of the Scottish grokes. I suspect Cyn's dogs do this quite a bit! Whoops, since I don't know them, it could be any of the 3!!

TM - 4/10 - I believe that is a fail, but good first effort! Correct are 2, 3, 6 and 9. #1 makes me think of a turkey part - think Sherlock Holmes and the Blue Carbuncle - except for the 't'. #4 again almost has word in it, which may cause you to fret and get it wrong. #10 is a phrase that Benjamin Franklin quite liked!!

Hmmmm....did I help or harm? Bobbie beat me to putting them in a sentence, and did far better that I ever could!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

A few more:

I don't remember hearing groke the summer I was in Scotland. I am sure that I did it though when the desserts arrived.

Ha, ha, love #2, chasing girls around haystacks. Too much to hope #1 would be lost in a cornfield so must be indigestion (b)
    1 b
    2. a TM correct
    3 b TM correct
    4 b hope I interpreted the clue correctly
    6 b TM correct
    9 b TM correct--wonder what the purpose of this is,
    sounds downright odd
    10 b I think BF liked his drink

I'll let others give the answers to the ones I used earlier.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Okay, now that people are answering and before I see what the rest say, here are my first guesses:

1. a
    2. a
    3. b just so perfect
    4. c
    5. c
    6. a
    7. b
    8. a
    9. a cannot imagine why anyone would think to put an eel there. Oh, yeah, forgot we are talking the Scots and Irish, so maybe...after all, haggis...
    10. b

No real reason for any of these except that I like the sound of several with respect to the answer I chose. Now, I will go back and see what others said.

Cynthia

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 18:56

• auntyara
    10 years ago

ok. Ugh! been nipping the dirty water...:)))
    I did not look at other guesses or answers. full on dumb luck is what I'm hoping for :)
    1+=c
    2=b
    3=b
    4=c ( only because that's how I live)
    5=c ( a clue from Martha)
    6=b ( because I don't know what a sycophant is)
    7=c ( also contrived from a clue :) )
    8=c ( still stealing from Martha lol)
    9=a a guess
    10=b ( sticking to my first guess)
    I'm so happy to be here playing again, even though I have no idea.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Waiting for the correct list from Nancy.

Gorgeous 60 degree sunny calm day. Perfect for raking and deadheading and for my favorite part of gardening--cutting bouquets and sharing them with my neighbors. Had enough to take to eight neighbors. Such fun to see their delight and catch up on what everyone has been doing.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Sorry, Nancy. I don't mean to be impatient--I'm just very curious what some of these odd words mean.

Nice to have you playing along today, Laura. You photos show quite a change to the outside of your house. Expect the inside has changed also. Glad you are happy with the results.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, you know, this is one of those questions that just took you out and dumped you in left field - most of you, not Bobbie. I think she lives there!! lol. Bobbie, your breadth of knowledge of the English language blows my mind, and my idea for clues was to create sentences, but again Bobbie just did that so much better than I could have imagined.

So, here you go - this all came from a Facebook post from a friend, and I was going to share, but it was just too good to waste as a question! Bobbie, I am going to give you 8/10 - fair? TM got 4/10, even though you posted first I should add 2 more! Cyn, you got 4/10 also, and Laura - 6/10 - dumb luck indeed.

Mark Forsyth's top 10 lost words, from the Guardian. I began by stealing his words, and he ends "In the end, I collected all the useful but forgotten, and obscure but necessary words I found in dusty, old dictionaries, and arranged them by the hour of the day when they might come in handy for my book about lost words, The Horologicon. Here are 10 of my favourites.:
    1. Wamblecropt
    Wamblecropt means overcome with indigestion. Once upon a time, you might observe that your stomach was wambling a bit. If the wambles got so bad you couldn't move, you were wamblecropt. It's the most beautiful word in the English language to say aloud. Try it.
    2. Sprunt. Sprunt is an old Scots word (from Roxburgh, to be precise) meaning "to chase girls around among the haystacks after dark". I would dearly love to have lived in a time and a place where this was such an everyday activity that they needed a single-syllable word for it. Old dialect words give us a glimpse of lost worlds, and sprunt is my favourite glimpse.
    3. Groke. Another old Scots word, to groke is to gaze at somebody while they're eating in the hope that they'll give you some of their food. The word was originally used to refer to dogs and any dog owner whose canine friend has salivated beside them while they eat a steak will know why but it can also be used to describe that colleague who sidles up to you from across the office when you open a box of chocolates.
    4. Uhtceare. Uhtceare is an Old English word that refers to anxiety experienced just before dawn. It describes that moment when you wake up too early and can't get back to sleep, no matter how tired you are, because you're worried about the day to come.
    5. Snollygoster. Snollygoster is a 19th century American word for "a dishonest or corrupt politician". Or, to take an original definition from the editor of a Georgia newspaper: "a snollygoster is a fellow who wants office, regardless of party, platform or principles, and who, whenever he wins, gets there by the sheer force of monumental talknophical assumnacy". The only reason I can imagine such a delicious word would die out is that all politicians are now honest.
    6. Ultracrepidarian. Ultracrepidarianism is when you give your opinion on a topic about which you know nothing. What makes this word so useful is that nobody knows what it means. Tell someone they are ultracrepidarian and they'll probably consider it a compliment.
    7. Gongoozle. I found gongoozle deep in the Oxford English Dictionary while I was researching The Horologicon. To gongoozle is to stare idly at a canal or watercourse. At the time, I thought it a weirdly precise and unnecessary word, but since then I've noticed gongoozlers everywhere. Walk along a riverbank or seafront on a sunny afternoon and you'll see lots of people happily gongoozling. I realised that I'd been gongoozling for years; I'd just never known the word.
    8. Snudge. To snudge is to stride around as though you're terribly busy, when in fact you are doing nothing. It's particularly useful for the modern office, especially with the invention of the smartphone. You can snudge around all day without anyone realising you're checking up on the score in the Ashes.
    9. Feague. Feague is a term from around the 18th century that means to put a live eel up a horse's bottom. Apparently, this was a horse dealer's trick to make an old horse seem more lively, which I suppose it would. But it does imply that you should never trust an 18th century horse dealer especially if you're a horse, or an eel. I hope you find no use for this word. In 2012, a chap who walked into Auckland City Hospital, in New Zealand, could have saved himself a lot of embarrassment if he had simply announced: "I need to be de-feagued".
    10. Sir Richard has taken off his considering cap
    Benjamin Franklin, when he wasn't inventing bifocals and supporting the American Revolution, collected slang terms for being drunk. This is my favourite one, especially after a hard day's work. It sums up the feeling of work being over and drinking having begun.

Is that fun, or what? It makes me wonder why Lewis Carroll felt the need to make up nonsensical words, when these already existed, for the most part.

For everyone, just cause it's Canadian Thanksgiving:

Have a wonderful week. Hope you had fun, and I'll see you here next weekend!! I am including a funny clip about Canadian politics which may give you a giggle. I wanted to find a clip where Rick Mercer was interviewed by Scott Simon of NPR, about Canadian Thanksgiving but could only find a transcript -google it if you want to read it - it's funny

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Who runs the Canadian Government

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Woo Hoo! go dumb luck!
    "My dog wears a rain coat" didn't work?
    "Whoops, the charts were up side down" did?
    I love Canada!
    No comment on the USA's politicians
    It's all a joke/theater.
    poop I'm editing because that was a comment. lol.

This post was edited by auntyara on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 22:18

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don't edit - it's all theatre!!! Glad you enjoyed.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Helps that DH is a scrabble player and loves words as well as politics. Never know when he will throw a new word out at me. Then the fun begins of working them into a conversation. I laugh because those serious scrabble players are a weird bunch! They talk about words with a gleam in their eye--the same gleam I get when I talk to a serious gardener.

Probably should have a few points less as I jumped on TM's wagon for some of the answers and his misses for narrowing my choices.

Thanks for the fun, Nancy. Happy Thanksgiving!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Wild abandon, ah, Laura, how wonderful to live so freely. I pretend to myself that I live with wild abandon because that is what I want but in reality I was an older child that had to be responsible and concerned for others' feelings way too young.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thank you, Nancy, for that trip down Weird Word Way. I love sprunt, though I'm afraid my sprunting days are long gone. No more chasing girls at any time around anything any more.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

So much fun indeed! Here is my illustration for groke. Not such a good pic of Chuck, but certainly demonstrative of the word. ;)

Cynthia, who will be speaking this week in what some may think is gibberish, but we all know better- ha!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, and happy Thanksgiving, Nancy! Annette, too, if she happens by.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM, now you can go gongoozle to your heart's content, away from the snollygosters!!

Cyn - you posted Chuck upside down?? lol.

Bobbie, I serious did wonder, but a scrabble player does explain is all - perhaps we have given him more fuel?

Nancy - who is wishing Annette was here playing with us.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Great photo illustration, Cynthia. Chuck is right side up on my I-Pad.

DH came home with a new word for me, nodi, Old English, knot in the flesh, which won him the scrabble tournament.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah-ha - it is an Apple thing!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Sorry, Nancy! Every now and then, when I first got the iPad, I didn't pay attention to its orientation when taking a pic. That seems to make a difference sometimes.

I just love all this word play. Now, how to get DH to play Scrabble with me...I will definitely remember nodi, Bobbie!

Cynthia

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES