Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers!! It is c-c-cold and sunny here - under 10C, which would be mid-40's for my American friends. It is also Canadian Thanksgiving, so let the turkey comas begin!!

Well, it was 50 years ago Friday!! Hmmm, what was, you ask? Well, it was their debut single, and it rose to Number 17 on the charts....who, what charts??? Who may be easy, where might be easy, ahhh, but what??? That is today's challenge.

I'll be back with clues!!

Nancy.

Comments (12)

• thinman
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I know who, and it's not The Who. :-)

When you ask about charts, do we need to come up with more than one listing agency? I can think of only one at the moment, and when the time comes I will post a really big sign with my answer.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When the single was originally released in 1962, it peaked at number seventeen; in 1982 it was re-issued and reached number four. In the United States the single was a number one hit in 1964. Hmmm...no large signs required, TM.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I think I know who :).

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

No large signs, huh? I guess that rules out Billboard Magazine, which is what I was thinking. I've been humming the song since I read your question. I was thinking of the initials just now and made me think of when I asked a Navy friend of my dad's once, what kind of ship he had been on in the war. He said an LMD ... Large Mahogany Desk. Probably a standard Navy joke, but I'll bet not many sat at desks actually made of mahogany. But, I digress.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Time for more hints?? Well, let's see - it was not on the first Canadian album, nor I suspect, the first American album. As I said, it was their first time in a recording studio, they were already under the care of their 'mentor'. Three versions were recorded: one with the original drummer; one with the 'new boy'; and one with a session drummer - in that one, you can hear the 'new boy' playing tambourine.

The 'B' side based on a letter. Oooh, that might be confusing....

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhh, TM - I missed your post. Large Mahogany desk indeed!! I can't find reference to what the charts were called there, but I'm thinking you've guessed that, too!! I am impressed, as I'd have thought of several other songs as their 'first'. I have my vinyl out, and was playing them. I am sooo glad that I was a careful child, as my old records are still pristine. The only snap crackle pop comes from the old amps!! lol.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I recently heard this first song played on the radio as the anniversary was noted. The DJ told of our familiar drummer playing the tambourine in this version. He also said that it was released as a single before being included on their first album. If you ask me if I love this version, I will say I do. Don't know the name of the chart it got to 17 th on but reckon it was the UK's.

I was surprised by the song as thought it would be "I Want to Hold Your Hand" which is the first one I remember. Perhaps it was their first American number one hit.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Is it "she loves you".

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Well I think it was The Beatles but that's all I know.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving, Nancy and Annette.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to you both!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:614524}} US version of the single.

I have to say, the answer surprised me when I heard it!! It just reinforces the fact that they were big in Britain before they hit it over here. This song, Love me do, was not on my first album, Beatlemania!! It was on my second album, Twist and Shout, which was essentially the same as the 1st British album - Please, Please Me. Interestingly, both the 'A' and 'B' sides were Paul songs. LMD was mostly written while Paul was still in school, 1958-9. Originally, John had sung the lead vocals, but that was changed under the watchful ear of George Martin, who wanted to free John up for the Harmonica riff. It features Lennon and McCartney doing 'Everly Brothers' style harmony. Funny, Graeme Edge, drummer for the Moody Blues, said, "We imported all the music from America, repackaged it and sold it back to you!!" lol. Love that.

According to Wikipedia,"they set up their equipment in Studio 3(EMI, London) and began rehearsing six songs including: "Please Please Me", "Love Me Do" and a song originally composed for Adam Faith by Mitch Murray called "How Do You Do It?" which George Martin "was insisting, in the apparent absence of any stronger original material, would be the group's first single". Lennon and McCartney had yet to impress Martin with their songwriting ability, and The Beatles had been signed as recording artists on the basis of their charismatic appeal: "It wasn't a question of what they could do [as] they hadn't written anything great at that time." "But what impressed me most was their personalities. Sparks flew off them when you talked to them" During the course of an evening session that then followed (7:00 pm to 10:00 pm in Studio 2) they recorded "How Do You Do It" and "Love Me Do". An attempt at "Please Please Me" was made, but at this stage it was quite different to its eventual treatment and it was dropped by Martin. This was a disappointment for the group as they had hoped it would be the B-side to "Love Me Do".

Two more pieces of trivia on this song before I shut up:

1. There are only two Lennon & McCartney songs that John Lennon's estate and Paul McCartney wholly own: "Love Me Do" and "P.S. I Love You". This is because until Dick James had set up their own publishing company, Northern Songs, EMI had placed the Beatles' first two (released) recordings with their own in-house publishers, Ardmore and Beechwood. Brian Epstein however, was dissatisfied with the lack of promotion EMI gave the single, and through George Martin (who later declined an offer by Brian Epstein on ethical grounds of a percentage of Northern Songs) was introduced to ex-singer Dick James, whom Martin had once produced. Later, McCartney was able to buy back ownership of these two titles which have always remained separate from Lennon and McCartney's main catalogue of material.

2. #1 on US charts (30 May 1964), Top 100 for 14 weeks. When it entered the charts, it was due to sales of imported copies from Canada with Starr on drums. On 27 April 1964 it was released in the US by Vee-Jay Records on the Tollie label with White on drums.

So: Love Me Do; UK charts; Britain.

For TM and Bobbie:

For Cyn and Annette:

Thanks for playing. See you next week!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Love Me Do, with tambourine!!

Sponsored