Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Good Sunday Morning, Cottagers. It is a grey day here, but no rain as we had yesterday. It is in the high 30's - I wonder if I dare chance laundry on the line? I will ponder that as we chat. I am feeling marginally better - I actually slept the latter half of last night quite soundly. I am sipping my lemony drink now, and hope to have a fruitful day!

On to trivia: I always thought French was quite odd in it's sentence structure. Not a blanche chat, but a chat blanche - the order mattered. Perhaps they mean something entirely different? I wonder.So if I said to you, lime soda or soda lime, what do you suppose the difference might be....clearly, English can be a funny old language too.

So there is your mission for the day - perhaps this might be easy for TM? I hope not toooo easy for all of you. I'll be back with clues, if a light bulb doesn't come on.

Nancy.

Comments (19)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Is this a bit of a geological question, Nancy? Ideas as yet not completely formed are bubbling up in my brain-how's that for sentence structure? ;)

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Well, yes, I do know a couple of things about soda lime, now that you mention it. :)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM, I knew this might be too simple for you!! Perhaps you have a good clue, or two?

Aah, Cyn - your ideas are amorphous, at this time? Yes, this is about the way things can change, or be changed. Soda lime is everywhere in our life, and the lives of all but the most remote and simplistic of societies.....

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

While I know what soda lime and lime soda are I am not sure what question you are asking.

Will check back later. Off to work in the gardens. It is already 49degrees F and heading into the mid 50s. May be the last warm day of the year and I have dahlias and calla lilies to dig. I have been looking for some potting mix that doesn't have fertilizer and other additives to repot some house plants. May have to use my ProMix.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, what can I say not to put a glazed look in your eyes? It is quite nice on the back deck in the sun, right now. I might even have a glass of lime rickey. Does anyone else remember that from their childhood? Do they even make that soda anymore, I wonder.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Wow, Nancy, you drank lime rickeys in your childhood? My mom wouldn't let us drink hard liquor until we were, well, never. :-)

TM

• thinman
    10 years ago

Clue - If you're holding the first one, you're often holding the second one.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That was my reaction, TM! Wonder if a lime rickey is something different in Canada. Definitely a highball here!

So, is it an ingredient in glass?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol. It was a pop here!! I just googled it - nope, no gin or bourbon in our house, That's funny.

Cynthia, your getting warm!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I may be warm, but not because I know anything! Ha. Need more clues.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not an ingredient, per se....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, there was definitely gin, bourbon, and a great variety of other such beverages in our house growing up, but none for kids. Cocktail hour started at 5:00 most evenings (or whenever Dad got home). Usually Manhattans (kids did get the cherries) and just Canadian and water in later years. Lots of music, too.

Well, I am stumped. Chuck just said he thinks it is caustic. He isn't sure either. Thinks there is an agricultural use. I give up. Time for a hot chocolate and then the Sunday crossword in bed. School night. Ugh.

Can't wait to find out what soda lime is.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

There is an actual material called soda lime that is a mixture of two chemicals, so if the question is asking about the material soda lime, then that mixture would be the answer.

I'm guessing that what Nancy is going for is the descriptor soda-lime which applies to a common form of ________. Two of the ingredients in _________. are closely related to the two in soda lime, but not exactly the same. In other words, __________ doesn't contain soda lime even though it is called soda-lime _________.

Things like this are why chemistry is not a subject that is loved by all. :-)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah yes, the hyphen - you noticed, TM. I did leave it out for effect....so you can drink lime soda, but from soda-lime.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Does this lime-soda refer to a glass bottle?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The most familiar type of glass, used for centuries in windows, light bulbs and drinking vessels, is soda-lime glass, which is composed of about 75% Silicon dioxide (SiO2), sodium oxide (Na2O) from soda ash, lime (CaO), and several minor additives. The term glass is often used to refer only to this specific use.
    {{gwi:614525}}
    Glass is an amorphous (non-crystalline) solid material that exhibits a glass transition, which is the reversible transition in amorphous materials (or in amorphous regions within semicrystalline materials) from a hard and relatively brittle state into a molten or rubber-like state. Glasses are typically brittle and can be optically transparent. Most common glass contains other ingredients added to change its properties. Lead glass or flint glass is more 'brilliant' because the increased refractive index causes noticeably more specular reflection and increased optical dispersion. Adding barium also increases the refractive index. Thorium oxide gives glass a high refractive index and low dispersion and was formerly used in producing high-quality lenses, but due to its radioactivity has been replaced by lanthanum oxide in modern eye glasses. Iron can be incorporated into glass to absorb infrared energy, for example in heat absorbing filters for movie projectors, while cerium(IV) oxide can be used for glass that absorbs UV wavelengths.
    The first true glass was made in coastal north Syria, Mesopotamia or Ancient Egypt. Surprise!! The skill was lost in the the disasters that overtook the Late Bronze Age, bringing glass-making to a halt. Development of glass technology in South Asia may have begun in 1730 BCE.

Which brings us to our lime soda, in a soda-lime container. Better than a palindrome, je sais. And far more refreshing!!

So, for TM and Bobbie:

For Cyn:

Thanks for playing, as it was kind of a lame question. My cold will be gone next weekend, and I'll be bbaacckk. Happy Halloween to everyone!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nancy - fun question. Sorry if I slipped into lecture mode for a minute there. :-)

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Nancy.

You and TM must have wondered if I was thick or something as when I finally figured the answer was glass the rest of the clues made sense.

Got the dahlias dug and the lilies planted yesterday. Beautiful day with high of 58.

Today was not as nice but was sunny and less windy so was comfortable working in the beds. I amended the bed where the dahlias were and put a few plants to hold over in there for the winter.

Rain and snow expected tonight.

I have my medical physical on Thursday, something to get me in the mood for a frightful night. No problems, annual medical review and renewal of prescriptions. A spooky halloween to you all.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

You are so generous with your stars, Nancy! Thanks. I alway learn so much from you, TM, and Bobbie!

Yes, happy halloween to everyone.

Cynthia