Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia-Saturday

Good morning Cottagers.

I have actually been up for hours, but had all those little tasks to take care of before trivia-filling the bird feeders which have been empty for three days (missing that birdsong which disappears with the empty feeders) and moving patio furniture to surround newly planted shrubs since the grandpup is coming and we will have a weekend filled with triple-tag-team antics during which growing things are always on the losing side (back yard is a disaster-waiting for the dogs to age out of youthful exuberance), and picking up treats for breakfast.

So, while at the local coffee shop, noticed everyone busy on their laptops, iphones, listening to iPods, etc. and a phrase came to mind that seemed to apply to Steve Jobs: "...if you seek his monument, look around you." Although I fear this may be too easy, can you tell me the name of the person about whom this was first said?

I'll be back.

Cynthia

Comments (15)

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Thanks for the reminder Cynthia. My poor birds have flown the coop! I think they gave up trying to tell me they are hungry! Christopher Robin went south for the winter and I think the Wrens are building little heated castles! Perhaps they should be building igloos! Lol!

Looking forward to a day in the garden preping for the cold and enjoying the last warm days of autumn. I think it may be my last one here in this house.......

Ginny

PS Excellent analogy BTW!! :)

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

Driving through town today, I saw a Model T and a Model A on the road. The driver of the Model T appeared to be about as old as his car. Glare from the sun prevented me from seeing the driver of the Model A. Vintage cars are rather popular in this area, though most are from the 50s.

12 years ago

So unless I am way off, the answer to this trivia question is very appropriately timed with Halloween so fast approaching. Hehe

Ginny

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, almost as quiet as a tomb at St Paul's here today!

Worked some in the garden today and off to polish silver now (my pattern is Hampton Court by Reed and Barton-how coincidental).

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Forgot it was saturday, just came in from digging that you know what stuff, actually I got a lot done. Sifting through what I thought were clues are you looking for a man who has the same name as a little bird that hops along with it's tail held high, a little bird that will build it's nest in the oddest places, like a trailer hitch for instance.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

As usual, I didn't know this at all, but now that some nice hints have rolled in --thank you Annette and Cynthia-- I think I have it, and it definitely isn't Christopher Robin.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Well, finally home!! Busy am caused to not have time before work. If I whisper a reply, might you hear it, all the way across to VA??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You smarties!

Ginny, your Christopher Robin reference has me reciting poems in my head..."They're changing the guard at Buckingham Palace/Christopher Robin went down with Alice..." Of course, not one of his buildings, but fun.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

I meant to thank Ginny as well, for the nice hints. I think so slowly that it wasn't until I got to Annette's clue that I stumbled my way to a conclusion.

Not really one of the smarties,
    TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Me either TM, without everyone's clues I wouldn't have got it.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

**** for Ginny, Annette, TM, and Nancy.

Yes, it was Christopher Wren. Wren was a scientist, mathematician, and architect. He received a doctorate in civil law while a fellow at All Souls College at Oxford and became a professor of Astronomy in London. He wrote that geometry and arithmetic were ". . . the only Truths that can sink into the Mind of Man void of all Uncertainty".

The great fire of London led to his redesign for the city, but his plan was rejected. Still, he designed many churches and buildings that were built, including St. Paul's. It is there that he was interred. His son wrote his epitaph which appears both on his tomb in the cathedral and in a circle of black marble on the floor beneath the dome. It is written in Latin.

"SUBTUS CONDITUR HUIUS ECCLESI� ET VRBIS CONDITOR CHRISTOPHORUS WREN, QUI VIXIT ANNOS ULTRA NONAGINTA, NON SIBI SED BONO PUBLICO. LECTOR SI MONUMENTUM REQUIRIS CIRCUMSPICE Obijt XXV Feb: An�: MDCCXXIII �t: XCI. "

" Here in its foundations lies the architect of this church and city, Christopher Wren, who lived beyond ninety years, not for his own profit but for the public good. Reader, if you seek his monument - look around you. Died 25 Feb. 1723, age 91."

Have a lovely day, all. I suspect that for all of us, someone could one day say the same while standing in our gardens. Unfortunately, mine will probably still be a weedy mess-ha. ;) Guess I had better head out to do battle before we hit the expected 83 degrees!
    Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Cyn, that was fun, and it brought back some memories for me!! One month to the day after 9/11, I was in London with a friend. I really wanted her to see St. Paul's, especially the Whispering Gallery - great fun. It was closed that day, as host to a huge memorial service for both the police and fire service people. A great fear during the London Blitz in WW2 was that it might be struck and/or destroyed.

The Lady Chapel, built by Henry VIII did receive damage from bombs then, and the Tudor glass window was blown out. A memorial to 'The Few' had already been suggested, and this became the place:
    {{gwi:614556}}

Sorry Cyn, I just had to share!!! You know me, I never know when to stop.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love it when you share and post pictures. I can't figure out how unless I save to my Picasa account...

I love that stained glass window!

Thanks!
    Cynthia

12 years ago

Thanks Cynthia! That was a great analogy, like I mentioned. I have been building tombstones for my Halloween display and have been reading many epitaphs over the last coiuple of days. I had forgot about Christopher Wren's until you asked the question. An amazing man! I like your analogy to our gardens. I have said many times that we gardeners are artists in our own right, creating masterpieces from our hearts. Love, love, love it!! Our gardens are reflections of our souls. And, like you, my soul is a mess right now!!! LOL! I'm workin' on it!!! Besides, from what I have observed, many of our most revered artists are only recognized after they are gone!!

Back to my masterpiece. We are only hitting 61F here today and those days are numbered!! Will post pics of my kiddy friendly Halloween yard later. Thanks for the treats!! :)

• thinman
    12 years ago

Good and interesting question, Cynthia. Beyond me, but good. :-)

Thanks for the fun.

TM

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH