Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Happy Saturday Morning Cottagers- strange times we live in. It has been an interesting week.

Well, on to Trivia: She was launched in 1931 and has been involved in a few firsts!! Largest private yacht at the time, had a couple of husbands, did time in the US Navy, went abroad and was an expat in the Dominican Republic, even did her bit to end segregation. She sails today to exotic climes, bearing a lucky few....can you name any of her incarnations, or her first mistress?

Comments (27)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Mornin' all, boy do I need clues on this one and what's worse I've misplaced my crystal ball :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

The only yacht I can think of was not all that large despite its name. Will look for clues.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah Annette - perhaps a few more clues will help you!!

As you might imagine, she was built for one of America's wealthiest women and her 2nd husband. You know, everybody listened to him.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I'm at sea here. No idea on the yacht though might know the woman.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Navy sent her from Georgetown, South Carolina, to the United States Coast Guard Yard in Curtis Bay, Maryland, to be refitted as a "weather observation station vessel", and had its four masts removed and hull painted battleship gray. She was commissioned as a United States Coast Guard Cutter on April 4, 1942, and assigned to the Eastern Sea Frontier, with a permanent home port in Boston. In late 1944, Lieutenant Carlton Skinner took command of the ship, after previously serving as executive officer in November 1944. At that time, black seamen were only permitted to serve as ship stewards. After witnessing a black man save the crew of the Northland yet still be denied promotion because of the rule, Skinner proposed an experiment. Skinner submitted his plan to the U.S. Secretary of the Navy and was allowed to sail his first weather patrol with a fully integrated crew. This had not happened since the American Civil War. She was posted up and down the eastern coast of America.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Following her return from active service, she received a reassembled rigging in 1947, and a new set of twenty-nine sails in 1949. She was painted white, and a gold eagle painted on the bow. The ship's reconstruction took nearly four years. Her Mistress retained ownership of her in the aftermath of her divorce from Mr. Davies, since she had originally brought the ship into the marriage. After evaluating the cost of running a year round crew of seventy-two, she was sold to the Ruler of The Dominican Republic.

Hmmm.....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh, well, that gives me the name of the woman. Have visited her estate in DC often, although not for breakfast.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I`ll bet breakfast would be a grand affair!! lol.

The living legend is paired with an American National Icon!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Are we talking about AH?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I don't think I ever heard anything about her yacht before. Now, her collection of Faberge eggs is another matter. :)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooo TM, you got me with AH - I may need clues - lol.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Ever eat cereal for breakfast, TM? Of course, that doesn't help with the name of the yacht. :(

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No - I guess most of you are at sea - I hope there are lovely clouds. When I was in Hawaii there were columnar clouds that they called coral clouds. Our ship has sailed under them many times!!

I'm sure her Mistress had impeccable manners!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

OK, forget AH (Breakfast at Tiffany's). Now I'm going with EP.

Better?

TM

9 years ago

Ahhh, EP I think I'm beginning to get a glimmer. I'm getting thoughts about a sea and some clouds :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Getting closer as far as last name, but not first name. Did you know she was Dina Merrill's mother?

Still, no closer to the answer to Nancy's question. Seems we should know this boat, but I have no idea. Betting I have never heard of it. :(

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

How about Golden Eagle?

9 years ago

Hmmmm, not E but is P right? I'm clutching at straws here LOL.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Margaret Merriwether Post. Thought the national icon was the eagle but maybe it is Post Cereals. So back to sea and clouds clues. Not coming up with a name by putting eagles, sea and clouds together.

9 years ago

Well I think I got the Post part of the name :). Was the name of the yacht the Sea Cloud by any chance?

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

It's Marjorie Merriweather Post. Still, any idea for the ship would be a guess and one without any reason, I am afraid. No stars for me.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:614590}}

Well, you were just about there!! It was Sea Cloud and Marjorie Merriweather Post. I guess the manners clue got you to Emily when I was trying to steer you to Post!!. And Bobbie, you had the name in your sentence!!
    The Sea Cloud is sailing cruise ship of the Sea Cloud Cruises line. Initially built as a private yacht, it subsequently served as a weather ship for the United States Coast Guard and United States Navy during World War II. The ship served as the first racially integrated warship in the United States Armed Forces since the American Civil War. Originally a private yacht, she was transferred to the Coast Guard and then to the Navy during World War II. She is almost exclusively chartered by the National Geographic Society for many of their cruises.
    Sea Cloud was built in Kiel, Germany, as a Barque for Marjorie Merriweather Post and her second husband Edward F. Hutton of Wall Street fame E. F. Hutton & Co.. She was launched in 1931 as the Hussar II; at the time of her construction, she was the largest private yacht in the world.

I'll attach a link for more info about her.

So, for Cynthia, Bobbie and Annette:

Thanks for playing - see you all next week. Now on to Cynthia's challenging question!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Cloud

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Wow! She certainly is a beautiful ship! All new to me and so interesting! Don't deserve stars, though.

Thanks for the fun. I will spend the rest of the day bemoaning the fact that I did not grow up an heiress able to have my own sailing vessel.

ðÂÂÂ

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

After further research, I think we should all buy lottery tickets and then, if one of us wins, we could all take a cruise together on the Sea Cloud. Wow. She really is a fantastic ship. Yar, as they say. I am not joking, folks! Hehheh.

Cynthia, who never has cash in her wallet, but who will spend the dollar she found in her pocket on a ticket for us. Don't hold your breath, though.

9 years ago

What a ship, Wow!!!

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

No cruise for me. I get sea sick and am terrified of sinking and being eaten by sharks. I blame Jaws.

Thanks for the fun, Nancy. It is a beautiful ship.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Yep, Bobbie- I have never gone in the ocean at night after seeing Jaws. Never will.

Cynthia

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling