Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Wow. Did I ever sleep in today. Went to bed at 9:45 and got up at 8:35. Sheesh. I am the definition of lazy. Had fun with my friend Jean last weekend, although I was chilly. I must go in October every year because once there I realized that, like us, they don't turn on their heat until November. The house was freezing! Yikes. We went to New Hope which used to be a quaint old place on the Delaware River north of Philadelphia. It was filled with antique shops. Neither of us had been there for 15 or so years. It has really changed. Lots of trinket stores now and ticky-tacky stuff. Still, we had fun and Jean's husband got a chance to take his bow into the woods on their property while we were gone. So glad he didn't get anything.

Anyway, the full moon was so beautiful this month that I got to thinking about the American Indian names for the various full moons. Then, Dave's Garden had an article about them-made it so easy. So, here are the names of the moons. Can you match each to its month?

1. Flower Moon

2. Worm Moon

3. Buck Moon

4. Hunters Moon

5. Wolf Moon

6. Cold Moon

7. Snow Moon

8. Beaver Moon

9. Pink Moon

1. Corn Moon

2. Sturgeon Moon

3. Strawberry Moon

Some of these may be easy and some not. I will be back with clues on this chilly, windy, sunny day.

Cynthia

Comments (21)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Ohhhh, this is a fun one, I think I know Jan., May, June, Sept., Oct. and Dec. the rest will be a guess unless some clues are forthcoming :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I know a few and will need clues for others. Didn't realize that each month had its own moon name. Hmm, no harvest moon.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, Bobbie, there are two that list Harvest Moon, but I chose the lesser known name for those months. :)

Last night, I received a call from a woman in St. Louis. Seems that the owner of the company that sold us our garage doors (French-Porte) gave her our name and number as a reference. Happily, I love our doors and gave a glowing review. Promised to send her pictures, but wish I could find some from spring when all the pink and purple azaleas are blooming. So, she will get autumn pics. Still pretty, but not quite the same.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I'm thinking Hunters Moon And Corn Moon might be the same as Harvest Moon. Pink Moon must be in the spring.

Will ponder these and check in now and then. After several cool days temps will be back in the mid60s before the afternoon is over. Good day to work in the yard and wash windows.

Think I have April, May, June, and maybe September and October though may have those two in the wrong order.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 13:48

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I tend to think of the weather of many months incorrectly. The native Americans seem to have gotten it right. Seems our biggest snows or most snow days come close to the end of winter, but not so late that the earth is coming alive again.

If you know that it takes four months for a deer buck to regrow his antlers, does that help?

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Beaver Moon was also called the Frost Moon. Of course, not in the cold north, but here that title is apt.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The Harvest Moon is the full Moon that occurs closest to the autumnal equinox. It can occur in either September or October. At this time, crops such as corn, pumpkins, squash, and wild rice are ready for gathering.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Up here, snow moon could be anywhere from November through March. Buck moon would be when all the hunters get cranked up: November. I think the bucks' antlers are grown and hardened by September or October though.

Corn moon could be October, though it sometimes isn't harvested here until November; farmers have to wait until the kernels have dried enough. This year that could be in the snow, It sounds like the corn moon clue is pointing us toward September though.

Cold moon sounds like January or February.

Strawberry moon -- I think of June as strawberry month but i'm sure it's earlier elsewhere.

Flower moon -- July?

It's pretty much all guesswork to me.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

I did not know that they had a moon for each month - amazing, and I have no clue - lol.

Nancy.

9 years ago

Edited one more time :).

The ones I'm pretty sure of, but could be wrong...

Jan. Wolf
    Feb..........Snow?
    Mar..........Worm?
    Apr. Pink, thanks to the clue
    May Flower
    June. Strawberry
    Jul......... Buck?
    August........... Sturgeon ?
    Sept. Corn
    Oct. Hunters
    Nov............Beaver
    Dec. Cold ?

So where do Beaver, Sturgeon, Buck, Worm and Snow fit , Mmmm, I'll come back later with some more guesses.

Annette

This post was edited by aftermidnight on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 19:59

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

TM, You are close on most of your guesses. You just chose the wrong animal for your Nov. guess. The American Indians and everyone else had to hunt a particular animal before the swamps froze over and for winter warmth. I have a winter muff from my grandmother made of this, I think.

The bucks begin to grow their new antlers in April, so they are pretty visible although maybe not hardened off totally by the month of their moon.

A little song to amuse you.

Hard to believe we have little more than a month until the cold and short days are really settled in.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Al Jolson

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annette, not bad at all! We were posting at the same time. Betting you will have Nov. after reading my post. I have clues for Feb. and March in a previous post, too!

Cynthia

9 years ago

I'll go back and edit my post :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

With help from the clues these are my choices. I've been rereading the clues for help with December and January. Think I saw a clue for cold but may have them switched.

1. Flower Moon May

2. Worm Moon March

3. Buck Moon July

4. Hunters Moon October

5. Wolf Moon January

6. Cold Moon December

7. Snow Moon February

8. Beaver Moon November

9. Pink Moon April

1. Corn Moon September

2. Sturgeon Moon August

3. Strawberry Moon June

Jan. Wolf Moon
    Feb. Snow Moon
    March Worm Moon
    April Pink Moon
    May Flower Moon
    June Strawberry Moon
    July Buck Moon
    August Sturgeon Moon
    Sept. Corn Moon
    Oct. Hunters Moon
    Nov. Beaver Moon
    Dec. Cold Moon

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Four stars for Annette and Bobbie! You both matched all the months with their proper moons. Now, we can look forward to November's Beaver Moon.

Have a wonderful week and enjoy the fall!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Names of full moons

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the great clues. I will keep a list to refer to each month by its moon name. As a night person the 'moon and the stars' are a perfect fit.

Blue Moon is the moon song I know best. Here is a new one I rather like by a MN boy.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Moon and the Stars

9 years ago

Hey Bobbie, I'm a night person too, I always have been and always will be :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Annette, I keep trying to be more of a morning person to fit in with others schedules but it has been wasted effort. I schedule things in the afternoon so I can sleep in the morning. Hard to get up early when I often don't go to bed until 4-5 a.m.

9 years ago

Bobbie were you a night person when you were a child, I was :(. Sent to bed at a normal bedtime and then just lay awake until 2 or 3 in the morning, finally get to sleep only to be woken and told to get the lead out or I'd be late for school.
    At 77 I do as I please, I go to bed late. If I don't I'm back up at 3 or 4 in the morning wide awake tossing and turning. Then, it's either the computer or an old movie.
    Mornings are a total loss, I limp around until about 11, joints are starting to move by then, by 2 the muscles aren't like stiff rubber and I start doing what needs to be done. After supper I'm raring to go, this is when I can get a lot done out in the garden, the faster the sun starts to set the more energy I seem to have. DH bought me a light I can take with me if I want to garden in the dark. By midnight I could put away a good meal if I let myself LOL. Having Lupus might have something to do with it, the sun is not my friend.
    Now that winter is around the corner I'll be looking for some good reading material, I think I have found myself a soulmate :).

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I grew up on a dairy farm and had to be up at 5 a.m. to milk cows. Still couldn't get to sleep before midnight but as a youngster those short sleeping periods didn't bother me. After years of getting up that early one would think I would be a morning person.

I go out to garden between 2-3 p.m. and work until dark. I also have a head light and a floodlight for the back patio but usually come in when it is dark. At 66 years old I no longer have the stamina and energy that I used to have so I am ready to quit by dark. Also by then my knees and feet are complaining.

I am blessed that my DH makes dinner so I don't have more work when I come inside. He is not a gardener but he appreciates my gardening and likes to invite people over for a garden tour.

My reading material is eclectic though lately is heavy with mysteries. Have you read the Louise Penny Three Pines mysteries?

9 years ago

I love Mysteries, I'll have to look into those. Right now I'm reading The Witness by Nora Roberts. I'm the cook in our house but DH helps with the dishes. Mind you when I was sick last year he did most of the cooking with help from the internet, didn't do too badly either :).

Annette

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz