Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Happy Sunday morning, All. It is a grey rainy day today, but I need to get out and mail a package!!

Well, our west coast was hit with the largest earthquake ever in Canada, near the Haida Gwaii. Annette, are your ears still ringing?? Hawaii is under tsunami watch!! All while I was sleeping!

On to my trivia questions. I heard a great radio documentary this week, translated from the original German, and over-dubbed in English. VERY interesting!! 80,000 of these disappeared in Germany, then later in the conquered nations of Europe....what disappeared?? I'll be back with clues!

Nancy.

Comments (21)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmmm...looking for clues in your post...postage stamps?...bells?...watches?...pillows/feather beds?...no? Oh well, waiting for clues. :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

What is up with the weather everywhere? Earthquake? Wow!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

47,000 went missing in Germany alone, before conquest of neighbouring nations. AAhh, Cyn, you noted that there was a clue in my rantings. Hmmmmmmmm......

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Didn't feel the earthquake here, in fact I didn't even know there had been one until this morning. Pondering today's trivia, haven't come up with anything yet.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I wish I knew what I knew! Haha.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Only one, the smallest which was called the 'passing', was left in each village.....

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I am wondering if this refers to stamp meters.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Actually, something has rung a bell with me, so I don't think I need clues...if I am right, of course.

Just heard that my district has closed school for Monday AND Tuesday. No need to adhere to any bell schedules for at least two days-joy, joy! Time to get back in my jammies. :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Woo-hoo, Cyn - good for you!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No stamps, Bobbie!!

Nancy.

11 years ago

Post offices?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is nothing ringing true for you, Annette??

Nancy.

11 years ago

Arrgghhhh!!! Telephones?

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Bells. I know that many bells were taken to be melted down for the war effort. I think passing bells refer to the bells that ring when someone has died.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Hi all. I've been away for the last five days helping a friend move back to Michigan from Woodbury MN (Hi Bobbie!) We rented a 16 ft truck which turned out to not be big enough, so we ended up totally stuffing the truck, a 5 x 8 trailer, and two vehicles, leaving just enough room for the drivers and one big dog. One ten hour drive later we are now home. A two hour drive today will get everything to its final destination. Whew!

Trivia-wise, I do kind of remember this one, and I think it was church bells.

Off to eat breakfast and hit the road.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well yes, there you have it!! The story of the destruction of art in Nazi Germany---the paintings that disappeared for decades or forever, the artists maligned in the Nazis' Degenerate Art exhibition---is familiar to many. Less well-known is the story of the art destroyed to aid the war effort---metal church bells and statues melted down to make munitions. Saint Mary's University(Halifax) history professor Kirrily Freeman's PhD thesis focused on the topic of melted statues in France, but it was a graduation gift that led her to her current area of research.
    {{gwi:614628}}
    Bells awaiting their fate

The exhibition Silence and Memory: The Lost Bells of Europe is a collection of plaster casts of details of the decoration on German church bells that were melted for metal by the Nazis during the Second World War. The bells come from the 12th century to the 20th. The Nazis melted down thousands of church bells across Europe in occupied countries, but only for German bells did they hire art historians as advisers and made casts to preserve some of the imagery, the German bells being tied to the sort of "authentic" German culture the Nazis pushed.

Even the evidence of the lost bells was lost for many years. A Canadian bell expert, Percival Price, was sent to Germany by the Allies at the close of the war to discover what had happened to the country's church bells and find out if any had survived. Price met with Nazi art historians and found the casts, returning home with 127 of them, which sat in his office and were bequeathed to Ottawa's Museum of Civilization upon his death. One of these casts came into the possession of a friend of Freeman, who gave it to her as a graduation gift, along with one of Price's books on bells. This was not the first instance of bells going to war efforts in Europe - during the French Revolution, over 100,000 bells were removed, and were melted down into coins or cannons.
    The plaster casts were spirited out of Germany as 'enemy technology' - otherwise, their fate was uncertain. And yes, Bobbie, the Passing Bell is just that, to note someone's passing. It is usually the smallest, so the only bell remaining.

So, for Cyn, Bobbie and TM:

Sorry, maybe not enough clues, Annette?? Better luck next week!
    I attached the 2nd part of the documentary here, if you are interested, and you can link to Part 1, which is more 'Canadian' oriented!
    TM, that was quite the odyssey you were on!! Glad it all worked out.

Thanks to all for playing, and yes, I am home. I didn't sell anything at the 'new' job last week, so out I went. Oh well, had that not happened, I wouldn't have picked up on a dream job posting, so fingers crossed, everything happens for a reason. See you next weekend!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bells & Whistles

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Nancy.

Hope the job news turns out to be good.

Is Sandy supposed to affect you? We are seeing the development of the worst case scenario talked about last week. The storm is coming ashore between Ocean City Maryland and southern New Jersey which means we get slammed. 70 mph winds expected overnight. Hoping all the trees come through unscathed-well a little natural pruning of dead branches would be okay. On the bright side, I am enjoying images of a brand new master bath and maybe slight expansion of the house paid for by insurance if our leaning tree comes down on the house! ;)

Cynthia

11 years ago

Well you can't win them all LOL. Stay safe Cyn it sounds like you're in for a nasty one.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We are supposed to get hit with high winds and lots of rain tonight. Storm surge is expected in the shores of the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence and Gaspe. Gov't has done their typical warning, be prepared to care for yourselves for 72 hours, yada, yada. I have bottled water, etc. Municipal water, so I should be OK for the rest. CBC said a storm surge of 3 metres or more was heading for NYC - yikes!! Wouldn't want to be them!!

Take care, Cyn - all jokes aside, I hope you are spared much damage. Than again, a new master bath, maybe a custom walk-in closet....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Ha-I was thinking walk-in closet, too, Nancy. The pictures of NYC flooding already are incredible. Hoping for no damage, but have to admit, I am sort of enjoying watching the awesome power of nature.

I will keep you posted!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rain started here about 45 mins. ago. Luckily, library called a couple of hours ago, and my loan of Ghost Rider, Travels on the Healing Road came in - I really need to stop and eat!!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH