Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Good Saturday morning, Cottagers!! Sorry I'm a little late here, but I went for an early swim at the local pool. I have just started getting back to swimming, now I can get to the pool. It's a great way to get back into shape, and I love being in the water. Of course, I am accident prone, and my hand slipped on the chrome railing going down the stairs, and I have pulled a muscle in my upper arm quite badly. I'll pay for this all week. The good news is the pool people are going to do something about that rail, so no one else can hurt themselves.

{{gwi:614636}}
And this got me thinking - we most often injure ourselves at home. That is where we are most relaxed, preoccupied and generally not paying complete attention - the perfect storm for an accident. So I looked up the 10 most usual accidents. I will list them below. Your job is to list them in order, from least to most common!!

Ladders and stools

Non-glass doors and panel accidents

Cans and other containers

Desks, cabinets, shelves and racks

Tables

Bathroom structures and fixtures

Stairs, ramps, landings and floor accidents

Chairs, sofas and sofa bed accidents

Beds, Mattresses, Pillows

Clothing

I will be back with clues and more amusing anecdotes about my self injuries!!

Nancy.

Comments (16)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh no. Sorry you are hurt. No fun at all. However...

Oh boy! This will be fun for us! Off to a student's "anklebiter league" football game. I may take this list with me-will probably need something to distract me from all the exciting plays. Haha.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

It's gonna be tough to get ten things in the right order. I hope we get points for being close.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Hope you mend quickly. I love to swim but haven't been lately.

I think floor accidents are number one as tripping over loose rugs is very common. Maybe slipping in the bathtub is number 2.

Wow, looks like there are accidents waiting to happen everywhere in one's home. What kind of accident can one have with clothing? Oops, just thought about zippers. Pillows? Beds...I've stubbed my toe on the bed frame a few times.

Hmm, wonder how many of us have had an accident in every category? I fall occasionally due to in attention and clumsiness but have learned how to roll into the fall and am rarely hurt though bruise easily due to taking meds for arthritis. When someone asks how I got a bruise I often don't know as I forget it and move on. Most of these falls when I'm outside gardening.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Number 1 is more common than #2 by almost 2 1/2 time - amazing. #5 confuses me, and make me wonder why they don't use the #10 cause. Then again, if you are a klutz, and I am a klutz, perhaps nothing is safe - lol. Interesting that knives are not on there - I had another unfortunate mandolin accident slicing up onions for the turkey pot pie - that's actually quite good for me, as I have at that for 7 months and only cut myself twice - very pleased. Same with my Chef's knife -I guess it is true - that is you use a properly sharp knife, you are safer.

I have done several of these, but seriously, how do you fall off of your couch??

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I can think of several scenarios for falling off couch, roughhousing, (including that activity that is often shown on TV soap operas), people whose bones break as they get up from the couch might be wrongfully thought to have broken a bone when falling off couch, people who have balance problems or vertigo....

Edited to add:

That makes me think that beds might be number two as kids often fall out of bed. I've even done that myself as an adult. Rolled over too far one time.

Need more clues.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Oct 18, 14 at 15:16

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I am just waiting for the time I fall out of bed reaching for something I dropped. I need a stool to get up in the bed since it is high. Guess that is another opportunity for disaster! Always wondered what people will say when I break my neck stretching and leaning over rather than just getting out to pick up the glasses, book, pen, whatever.

Clothing? I often look like a walking accident, but doubt that counts. ;)

What the heck could happen with a table other than bumping into it?

I am thinking bathrooms and stairs and floors would be up there pretty high on the list.

Surprised burns aren't included.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have fallen off of #10, cleaning my gutters - maybe people use #6 as an alternative, and there is nothing to hold on to....#9 most often happens to children. #7 might be a workplace-centered thing, but this says it is homes....I've done #5 - almost lost a nail.

Enough clues?

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

btw, TM - you know I am an easy marker. And Bobbie - I hadn't thought of that...I have been single too long!! lol.

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm thinking that number 1 is either stairs etc., or bathtubs etc. but can't choose between them. It sounds like ladders must be number 10. I would've thought it was higher.

Number 9 happens to kids a lot. Maybe beds?

Will think about the rest.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the clues.

Ok, if no. 10 is ladders no. 6 might be tables.

I broke my left ankle and left shoulder when the ladder I was on collapsed. It was one of those folding ladders with a locking unit when opened. The locking unit did not lock. That month in a wheelchair gave me a new appreciation for others who spend their lives in those chairs.

Here is my list with a couple of guesses.

1. Stairs, ramps, landings and floor accidents.
    2. Beds, mattresses and pillows
    3. Chairs, sofa, sofa beds
    4. Bathroom structures and fixtures, bet burns fall under here from scalding water
    5. Nonglass doors and panels. Haven't slammed my finger in a door but have pinched them.
    6. Tables More apt to use a chair but the chairs have a back to hold onto so tables must go with no. 10 and I have used a table a few times.
    7. Desk, cabinets, shelves and racks Kids pull cabinets and shelving over on themselves.
    8. Cans and other containers. Does this included dropping a can on my bare toe? Ouch!
    9. Clothing Chose this for nine because of the children clue. (Good joke, Cynthia.)

1. Ladders and stools

Cynthia, I recommend a pick up wand. I had one after my broken ankle when I was in bed for a week and still use it today to pick up items that fall under my desk and to recover my kicked off shoes. Saw one advertised at a hardware store that was just a few dollars. A bargain compared to mine bought at a medical supply store back in the late 90s.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 1:53

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, I've been pondering this all day, still puzzling over it. I think Stairs, ramps, landings and floor accidents would be the most common and tables being the least and all the rest are somewhere in between :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Bobbie, I have been kicking myself (without injury, I might add-ha) ever since I forgot to grab my mother's pick-up wand when we emptied the house. She also had a terrific pole pruner to reach the higher branches. What was I thinking???

Anyway, I will go with
    1 floors, stairs
    2. Bathrooms
    3. Chairs, sofa
    4. Beds...
    5. Shelves, etc.
    6. Tables
    7. Cans
    8. Nonglass doors
    9. Clothing

1. Ladders and stools (also thought this would be higher!)

All guesses.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

For whatever they may be worth, my guesses.

1. Stairs, ramps, landings and floor accidents
    2 Bathroom structures and fixtures
    3. Cans and other containers
    4. Non-glass doors and panel accidents
    5. Chairs, sofas and sofa bed accidents
    6. Desks, cabinets, shelves and racks
    7. Tables
    8. Beds, Mattresses, Pillows
    9. Clothing

1. Ladders and stools

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There, you all did very well!! It is amazing the number of ways we can find to hurt ourselves. I don't hurt nearly as much as I thought I would today. Mostly scared, I guess. So, a la David Letterman, here are our results:

10- Ladders and stools: Falling and tripping accidents cause injuries to an estimate of 227,769 people.

9- Clothing : Children get tangled and choked in their own clothes, which causes injuries to an estimate of 245,129 people.

8- Cans and other containers: Sharp cans and shattering containers(I'm thinking glass but they don't say that) accidents cause injuries to an estimate of 248,126 people. I am sooo careful with the cat food tins - they are a recipe for disaster.

7- Desks, cabinets, shelves and racks: Falling over, cabinets knocked over and racks dropping on people causes injuries to an estimate of 262,171 people.

6- Tables: Falling off of tables, tables breaking causes injuries to an estimate of 309,252 people. Moral - don't dance on the table!!

5- Non-glass doors and panel accidents: Many accidentally slam doors on their own or other peopleâÂÂs hands and heads causing injuries to an estimate of 321,665 people.

4- Bathroom structures and fixtures: Slipping, falling and hitting our heads and back around in the bathroom is a very common home accident, causing injuries to an estimate of 330,102 people.

3- Chairs, sofas and sofa bed accidents: People routinely and repeatedly fall off of their chairs and sofas, causing injuries to an estimate of 476,109 people.

2- Beds, Mattresses, Pillows: Falling off of beds and materials and pillow cause neck and back problems injuries to an estimate of 560,129 people.

1- Stairs, ramps, landings and floor accidents: Most common home accidents happened when walking up or down the stairs. Broken hands and legs are the usual resulting injuries to an estimate of 2,324,938 people.

The above was gathered from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and National Electronics Injuries Surveillance System (NESS) in 2007 - I don't imagine much has changed. So you see, you did find your way!! For all:
    {{gwi:596883}}

Thanks for playing along. I am being so careful not to pull my hip again, and of course, trying to do things to help - geez. I will keep trying - see you all next week!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Take it easy, Nancy. I will be spending the week sitting still on the floor without moving. :)

Love your acrobatic stars!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Glad you are not as sore as expected.

I would like to join you on the floor, Cynthia, but have to take advantage of the warm temps to finish up some garden chores.
    Didn't hurt myself today but the night is not over.

Thanks for the fun, Nancy.

Sponsored