Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Good Sunday Morning Cottagers!! Hope all is well, in anticipation of All Hallows Eve. No, I'm not going there!! Couldn't find a question that I liked! We are going back in time, though. There's a new series on TV this season, that has everyone abuzz - Pan Am! I've seen a couple of episodes, and it is kinda cute - not my usual fodder, but cute. Much made about the girls and the uniforms, but the star in real life was the plane! It enabled the beginning of the jet-age. So, what was/is the maker, and the model number? I do have good clues this time, at least I think they are, and I won't wait so long to share. Or maybe you got it in one??

Nancy.

Comments (23)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Think I know this one what with Chuck being a pilot and a friend who has been a flight attendant for 30 years or so. Will, however, check back for clues.

• thinman
    12 years ago

The airplane that comes to my mind is mentioned in the Gordon Lightfoot song Early Morning Rain.

TM

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

No idea on this one yet. My brother was a pilot but he is no longer with us so can't ask him. I am however, a Gordon Lightfoot fan bigtime and I'm pretty sure the line is "big 707 set to go". As for who made it, if that is the one, I would hazard a guess to say that it is British. I think there is a ship line that also made planes out of Essex?? Can't think of the name at the moment.......

Ginny

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Haven't watched the show so I'm in the dark on this one :(.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

The maker of the 707 is the company whose name sounds like the onomatopoetic word that could describe the sound made by a Pogo stick. But I don't know if this is the right airplane. I haven't seen the show.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Haven't seen the show either, but I will go with the Boeing 707, too. Great reference, TM! I was thinking of another manufacturer who probably should have stocked their planes with comic books, but not sure which came first. Will change to that if Nancy's clues don't support the 707. ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, indeed it is - 'you can't hop a jet plane, like you can a freight train.' I see I may have made it too easy!! lol.

Nancy.

12 years ago

Just spoke to my kids and they tell me that the plane in question is a DC-7 made by Eastern Airlines. ??? I don't watch the show but my daughter does and my SIL is quite a plane buff. Guess they are wrong.

Ginny

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, yes indeed. By the time I checked those lyrics, you'd mostly all chimed in.
    {{gwi:614760}}
    It's hard today to imagine how this plane almost single-handedly change the face of travel. Boeing, during and immediately after World War II, was known for its military aircraft. The company had produced innovative and important bombers, from the B-17 Flying Fortress and B-29 Superfortress, to the jet-powered B-47 Stratojet and B-52 Stratofortress. The company's civil aviation department lagged far behind Douglas and other competitors, the only noteworthy airliners being the Boeing 314 Clipper and 307 Stratoliner. Pan Am was the first airline to operate the 707; the aircraft's first commercial flight was from New York to Paris on October 26, 1958 with a fuel stop in Gander, Newfoundland. In December, National Airlines operated the first U.S. domestic jet airline flights between New York/Idlewild and Miami, using 707s leased from Pan Am. Traces of the 707 are still found in the 737, which uses a modified version of the 707's fuselage, as well as the same external nose and cockpit configuration as the those of 707. These were also used on the previous Boeing 727, while the Boeing 757 also used the 707 fuselage cross-section.

Smarties, you all got it. So, in going with Cyn's lead, I will add a second question. This was actually the first question, but I thought this it might be a bit too 'out there'. Let's see:
    I did the 'Time Warp' last night - you know, it's just a jump to the left, then a step to the right! I had to look it up, you know, how old "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" really is - the movie opened in 1975, starring Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostick, amongst others.
    {{gwi:614762}}
    The movie stemmed from a play written by Richard O'Brien, who played Riff-Raff. The lead role, Dr. Frank-N-Furter, was written for the actor who played him both on stage and in the movies. His career has been long and varied. To our horror, he recently starred on a TV show. Any ideas, Cottagers?

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Early Morning Rain

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Oh, I think this is the first plane that I learned to recognize. It wasn't until the mid/late 60s that another plane was so publicized that I became aware of it. For me, they were cultural markers as I was not an airplane enthusiast.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

LOL, you all posted the answer while I was away from my computer and I hadn't refreshed my open page. Boeing 707 it is.

I know the actor playing Dr. Frank-N-Furter as I have followed his career over the years. Don't know what TV show you are referring to but I think he was in Return to Cranford. He also guest starred on Criminal Minds a while back.

While at a convention in 1979 I attended a midnight show of TRHS with four friends. I had no idea what it was about and was surprised and delighted with the audience participation of costumes and spritzing water and dancing in the aisles. Laughed my head off. It may also have been a reaction to the movie we saw earlier that evening, Apocalypse Now.

A friend sent me the CD and I still play it occasionally.

There is a traveling production in town now with a recently retired local news anchor as narrator, getting lots of publicity. DH who has never seen it doesn't have any interest in going. :(

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh mnswgal - what a shame DH has no interest!! I didn't know what I was getting into when I saw it!! lol. I actually don't think I'd seen it since, till last night. I have the movie soundtrack, and need to get my turntables going again, so that I can play it. I had the TV up loud last night, watching it. My god, how young Sarandon was then!! And what can I say about men who look better in stockings and heels than I??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

What a great question that was (still thinking on the second one-should know it, but...). I am glad TM mentioned Gordon Lightfoot and you provided the link. Love his version of "The First Time Ever I saw Your Face"-wonder what he is doing now. Such a terrific voice!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I am discovering that I still remember the words to most of his hits. Sing-a-thon going on here. May be why Chuck has taken the M5 out to "run it around a little" since he charged the battery-ha.

"If you could read my mind, love..."lalalala

12 years ago

Just curious, after having watched the video that I sent the link to, why you say the Boeing 707 is the plane used in the show. According to the video, it is actually a DC-7 made by Eastern Airlines. I wonder why they would tape that short infomercial if it was in fact a Boeing 707??? Hmmmmm....just find it odd.

Ginny

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gordon Lightfoot is still touring, is on Wife #2, with 4 kids and probably grandkids!! lol. By January 2002, Lightfoot had written 30 new songs for his next studio album. He recorded guitar and vocal demos of some of these new songs. In September, before the second concert of a two-night stand in Orillia, Lightfoot suffered severe stomach pain and was airlifted to McMaster Medical Centre in Hamilton, Ontario. He underwent surgery for a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm, and he remained in serious condition in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Lightfoot endured a six-week coma and a tracheotomy, and he underwent four surgical operations. All of his remaining 2002 concert dates were canceled. More than three months after being taken to the McMaster Medical Center, Lightfoot was released in December to continue his recovery at home. In 2003, Lightfoot underwent follow-up surgery to continue the treatment of his abdominal condition. On September 14, 2006, while in the middle of a performance, Lightfoot suffered a minor stroke that eventually left him without the use of the middle and ring fingers on his right hand. He returned to performing nine days later and for a brief time used a substitute guitarist for more difficult guitar work. Since early 2007, however, Lightfoot has regained full use of his right hand and plays all of the guitar parts in concert as he originally wrote them. In February 2010, Gordon Lightfoot was the victim of a death hoax originating from Twitter, when a prankster spread a rumor that Lightfoot had died. Not true. On November 3rd, if you happen to be in Ivins, UT, go to the Tuacahn Amphitheatre - Gordon will be performing there, as part of his 2011 tour schedule. Geez, the guy's gonna be 73 on November 17th!!

Nancy- in case you wanted to know.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Ginny, they may use a DC-7 for the show, but the Boeing 707 is the plane that started the jet age. I think most tv and movie people either don't know or don't care or think people won't know when they use the wrong plane. You should watch a movie with my DH. "That isn't a Japanese Zero!" "That is an American plane, not a MIG!" "Are they nuts? That plane wasn't around during the time!" I have learned to enjoy that actually-makes it fun hearing what plane or helicopter is misplaced. Oh and Eastern Airlines and all other airlines only flew the planes. The DCs were made by Douglas which is now McDonnell-Douglas, I think.

Wow, interesting about G.L. Nancy. Good for him. It would be fun to attend a concert. Maybe he'll come here to Wolftrap in the summer.

Have caught another bug from my little darlings who are routinely sent to school with fevers. Sheesh. Off to bed. Thanks for the fun Nancy!

Cynthia

12 years ago

Yeah, I kinda got that, Cynthia! It actually is a DC-7 and yes it was made by Douglas and my SIL is one of those people who is "really" into facts! I love the show MASH but I hate watching it with him cause he is just too technical. He is the one who sent the video to me and told me that it was in fact a DC-7. I just repeated the question..... What did I know! I knew the lyrics to GL's song and that's about it! Lol! Thanks for the acknowledgement Cyn!

I saw GL years ago at a concert here. He was much younger (probably at the height of his career) and so was I! Incredible musician! Too bad everyone has to get old! :)

Sorry you are not well Cynthia. Seems those little ones can carry around anything and us big ones are the ones that get sick!

Happy Halloween to everyone! Thanks for the trivia Nancy!

Ginny

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

DC-7 is the 4-engine prop plane that was used on the episode doing a flashback to the last Pan-Am flight out of Havana, Cuba. It have been previously owned by Eastern Airlines, but as its name suggests, it was an airline, not a aerocraft builder. I didn't really watch the whole clip, so missed that reference. And god knows, TV wouldn't get it wrong, would they?? Douglas Aircraft launched the DC-8, their 4-jet-engine passenger liner just after Boeing launched the 707. Because of Pam-Am, the 707 got better press, but I actually remember flying on stretch versions of the DC-8 - they landed really fast!! omg. 707's may still be flying in South America - I remember seeing their code on schedules not so many years ago. I have a thing about flying in old planes - too many variables on what can go wrong, as they age. Americans may not have heard about the horrific crash in our north a month or two ago. The plane had a clean bill of health, according to the mechanics. However, it was a Boeing 737-100 series. That means they originally entered service in 1968. Boeing is currently producing 737-900's. And I will say, when I was a travel agent, I never really got a choice of what type or version that I flew on....I flew to Hawaii on a DC1011 just after the United flight did cartwheel in a Kansas cornfield, and they still had no idea why....I flew out of Glasgow several weeks after Lockerbie, the crash that finished Pan-Am, still at that time no one was quite sure what had happened. A Scottish mother and her 2 kids decided at the last moment not to fly, and Air Canada had to not only deplane them, but find and pull all of their luggage out the the hold. Dya think I missed my connection in Toronto?? And finally, the scariest plane I ever flew on was an Antonov, about the size and configuration of a Dash-7 - 4 turbo-prop engines, but it was originally a Russian paratroop plane, so it had a huge back flap; and a nav station that looked like the bombadier station on 12 O'Clock High; and cockroaches; and Cuba Libres. Thank God. It had been retired from both the Soviet military and the Cuban military, and was very old. Suffice to say I darn near kissed the tarmac at Varadero airport upon return from parts unknown.

Sorry, I do go on!! So, for everyone for playing:
    {{gwi:614766}}{{gwi:614766}}{{gwi:614766}}{{gwi:614766}}{{gwi:614766}}

Lots of fun, as always for me - hope you all enjoyed it too. Hmmm, must come up with tougher question for next week!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Tim Curry played Dr. Frank-N-Furter. Wondering what the TV series you recently saw him in Nancy.

Thanks for the jack-o-lanterns.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Good question, Nancy. Thanks for the fun.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh gosh, sorry, yes. Tim Curry!!!
    {{gwi:614768}}
    It was the season 5 closer, and season 6 opener of Criminal Minds, as you said. Scary guy indeed - he sure played a serial killer well, even without a merry widow and pumps!!! He distanced himself from the Frank-N-Furter role for a while, feeling it had all gone too far. He described becoming "fat and plain". Fortunately now, he sees it as a 'rite of passage'.
    {{gwi:614769}}
    Another scary role for him was the clown, 'Pennywise' in Stand by Me.
    Great actor - and no, apparently not gay, just like I said, one heck of an actor, in the British sense of confused sexuality. And that voice!! Second, I should say, only to Alan Rickman!!

So again, thanks for playing. Sorry I was a bit confused at the end.

Nancy.

Sponsored