Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Happy thanksgiving Weekend to Annette and I, and Happy Columbus Day Weekend to our American friends. Handy having matching holidays, isn't it? It is a sunny day, and I am going down to stuff the turkey!! Ymmmm.

But first - trivia!! I am taking you to one of my favourite web sites - Snopes. For the uninitiated, it is a great way to discover the truth about rumours flying around, and just generally waste a hour or so on the internet with fun facts and myths. Also a great way to find out if that horrible story your Aunt Sue shared with you is really true - or not. So your mission today is to divine which of Snopes' "25 Hottest Urban Legends" is really true, or false. Good Luck! I chose only 5,and these are in no particular order.

1. Florida woman named Jasmine Tridevil claims to have had a third breast implant.

2. Warning about thieves armed with "code grabbers" breaking into cars by recording signals sent from remote keyless entry devices.

3. Report that actor Russell Johnson of Gilligan's Island fame has been identified as the Zodiac Killer.

4. Report that Texas is about to legalize marijuana for medicinal and recreational use.

5. Claim that Apple's new "Wave" technology allows you to quickly recharge your iPhone by microwaving it.

There you go - hope you all get a little gardening in today. I am going to strip the last of the tomatoes off the vines, as we will have killing frost either tonight or tomorrow night. Sigh.

Nancy.

Comments (13)

• thinman
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, Nancy, and happy Thanksgiving. We have yet to get a frost here in northern Michigan and none is predicted for the week ahead. Amazing. Also, I have my tomatoes in a hoophouse so they should be good for a while yet.

Fun questions. I don't know any of them for sure, but some of them sound more plausible than others. Will await clues to improve my percentage.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah, let's see, clues? Well, do you remember who Russell Johnson played on Gilligan's Island? And let's really think about Texas for a minute!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Russell Johnson was the professor, right?

Texas is not the most liberal state in the U.S.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're batting 1000, TM - think that's the correct baseball term?

You know, there are so many crazy stories on the internet about microwaves - remember the old lady that supposedly nuked her little dog to dry him off?

Nancy.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Not to be a downer on the game but isn't the entire point of Snopes to report urban "legends"........legends being the operative word? IOW, aren't all the stories fiction or at least have never been verified as true?

And yes, it is a fun site to visit. It's amazing what gets reported.......

Happy Thanksgiving to those up north!! Wish someone around here was cooking a turkey/ Turkey dinner with all the trimmings is my fave!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

For now I'm going with all false with the exception of #2, I'm still thinking about this one.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Actually, Snopes tells you whether the legend is true, false, or a mix of both. Sometimes they cannot determine what they are - makes it kinda fun!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I'm agreeing with Annette on this one. I think number 2 is probably feasible, so I'll hazard a True for it. It doesn't seem like any surgeon would do a third implant, unless replacing one of two would count as a third implant. But surely not three at one time.

So
    1 F
    2 T
    3 F
    4 F
    5 F

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Same as TM :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, you are both so close!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Coming in late but was thinking about these while working outside today. I think they are all false.

Turkey dinner sounds delicious. Happy Thanksgiving to Nancy and Annette.

Had our first frost last night. Coleus plants are gone and dahlia foliage was nipped. Low temp was 31F. Low temps are rising all week from 40s through 50. Picked the green tomatoes last week as we were going to be gone for a few days and temps were expected to be near freezing.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Oct 12, 14 at 11:08

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

1. False!! No third party images of Tridevil have emerged, and while she claims to have booked appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live and Inside Edition, no evidence has surfaced suggesting that they or any other media sources have vetted her story. Surgeons are ethically bound to decline performing cosmetic surgery on patients without certain mental health clearances (i.e., ensuring that patients do not have unrealistic expectations or motivations driven by psychological disorders), and in an interview Tridevil made the rather bizarre claim she set out to make herself look less attractive to men by opting to get a third breast implant.

2. Mostly False. Automobile remote keyless entry systems (RKE) were introduced in the 1980s. They've proved to be a big hit, making it easier for the grocery-laden to unlock their cars and sparing many of the terminally forgetful from finding they've left their keys in the ignitions of their now-locked vehicles or their purses on the seats of same.
    The earliest RKE systems were quite vulnerable to the sort of attack described in the warning e-mails quoted above. Their RF transmitters (usually built into key fobs) sent unique identifying codes that could be picked off by 'code grabbers,' devices that recorded the codes sent out when drivers pushed buttons on their remote key fobs to lock or unlock their cars.
    However, times change and technology advances. In response to the fixed code security weakness, automakers shifted from RKEs with fixed codes to systems employing rolling random codes.

3. False. On 18 July 2014, Empire News published an article positing that the late Russell Johnson, an actor best known for his portrayal of the Professor in the 1960's sitcom Gilligan's Island, had been identified as the Zodiac Killer. Soon afterwards links and excerpts referencing this article were being circulated via social media, with many of those who encountered the item mistaking it for a genuine news item. However, the article was just a spoof from Empire News, one of many fake news sites that publishes fictional stories such as "Cure for Cancer Discovered; 'Amazingly Simple' Says Researcher," and "College Student Excused from Classes After Dog Eats Grandmother," and "Woman Gives Birth, Confuses Doctors by Asking for Maternity Test." Their disclaimer page notes that Empire News "is a satirical and entertainment website."

4. False. In September 2014, the NewsBuzzDaily web site published an article positing that Texas was about to follow in the footsteps of the states of Colorado and Washington and legalize marijuana for medicinal and recreational use. Texas has no bill to legalize any form of marijuana use pending in its legislature; the last bill numbered HB 2412 presented to that body was on a completely different subject. This article was just a spoof from NewsBuzzDaily, a fake news web site whose stock in trade is publishing fantastically fictional stories.

5. False. The spreading of information (like the graphic reproduced above) advocating the use of microwave ovens as a means for quickly recharging cell phones is nothing more than a type of Fool's Errand, a bit of flimflammery intended to lure the gullible into attempting absurd and impossible (and sometimes dangerous) tasks.

So there, all false, as Bobbie noted!! Just a bit of fun, that some people took seriously. The one that TM and Annette noted as possible actually was, once. And yes, GG, for the most part these stories are just that, stories, but every once in a while, there is proof that truth is often stranger that fiction.

For everyone:
    {{gwi:614801}}{{gwi:614801}}{{gwi:614801}}{{gwi:614801}}

Thanks for playing with this bit of silliness - see you all next week. Below is a link to all 25 - fun read, and there is one in there that Cynthia and I both fell for - lol.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: 25 Hottest Urban Legends

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the fun. I had an advantage as often check Snopes when I hear/ read something questionable so had read about some of the questions previously though hadn't seen this article.

Questioning minds want to know, which one did you and Cynthia find believable?

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County