Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

This has been the most spectacular weekend weather-wise. Of course, I have been sick with a nasty cold since Wednesday. I am determined to get outside today, though despite still coughing.

In acknowledgement of the shooting in Ottawa and the outstanding actions by Sergeant-at-Arms and former RCMP officer Kevin Vickers and due to the fact that today is the Marine Corps. Marathon here in DC, here is a little multiple choice trivia about the US Marines and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

1. The Marine Corps was born on November 10, 1775 in what city?
A. New York
B. Boston
C. Philadelphia
D. Lexington

2, The RCMP were orginally called
A. The Upper Canada MP
B. The North-West MP
C. The Northern Canadian MP
D. The Canada Pacific MP

3. The US Marines refer to themselves sometimes as Devil Dogs, a name they were called by their enemies during what war?
A. Revolutionary War
B. WWI
C. WWII
D. Korea

4. The elements of the regimental badge of the RCMP are
A. Bison head, maple leaf, scroll, crown
B. Bison head, beaver, scroll, crown
C. Caribou, birch leaf, scroll, tiara
D. Bison head, birch leaf, scroll, crown

5. Wetting Down is the term used by marines for
A. Getting drunk
B. An amphibious assault
C. Duty aboard a Navy ship
D. Officer's promotion party

6. A star on the upper left sleeve of the red serge of the RCMP denotes
A. Rank of Inspector
B. Excellence in fire arms
C. 5 years service
D. Member of the musical ride

Have fun.

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Hooo - those are tough. I know a couple but will have to think about the others!!
    Feel better Cynthia - Colds suck!! I am waiting for the flu vaccine to be available!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I know Devil Dogs from stories my grampa told me and know wetting down from a scene with Worf of Star Trek fame and another scene a few years back on NCIS.

• thinman
    9 years ago

So far I'm 0 for 6, though I have a couple of guesses that may be right. Will await Cynthia's clever hints.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Cyn, Get better soon, we had our flu shots the other day so that's one more thing off the things to do list :)

Great quiz, I think I know most of them but am stuck on #1.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, all. I have been writing an IEP for an 8:00 meeting tomorrow morning. It sort of irks me that, being at the point in my career that I am (way too many years in to transfer without losing $$$) and not in a position to move up, that I still need to work on the weekends. Sigh. So many other things I could be doing. Somehow, I am in the mood for baking cookies-not so much for the work, but just to be able to snack on the dough. Boy, do I love that.

Hard to believe that Halloween is almost upon us, and then Thanksgiving. Not heading up to my hometown and big family meals anymore which makes it a tad less festive.

I am signed up to get my flu shot at school a week from tomorrow. Saw a sign at the pharmacy today that they are giving free shots and double dose ones for anyone over 65. hehheh-think I will rub that in with Chuck-I still don't qualify. :)

Off to watch my Eagles play the Cardinals.
    Cynthia

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by cyn427 on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 16:02

• thinman
    9 years ago

Okaaaayyy, sifting for clues.

Sift.

Sift.

Sift.

Think, think, think ...

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha TM. There are clues (sort of) for #1, 3,5, and 6 in there.

Unfortunately, the Eagles are losing. They aren't playing at home though, so maybe that is making a difference.

Planning for tomorrow. Maybe we will work on map skills. At least most of the kids remember how to use a compass rose.

Did you know that Ted Turner has become a rancher? King of the prairie these days, I guess.

There, now I have kind of covered all of them for you. I should have gotten back here more often so as not to add them all at once. Thank goodness you are all such good sports!

Cynthia

9 years ago

#2.... where I live

#4... Remember that old song Home on the Range?

I'm still stuck on #1 :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annette, guess I haven't harped about my hometown as much as I thought I had.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I see dough boy.
    I see the Eagles.
    I see free shots.
    And I think I know number 2.

Maybe more.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I am looking for the clues but am missing some of them or not knowing how they fit.

Here are my answers so far: (Edited as I find clues)

1. c Philadelphia
    2. b. North West MP
    3. b WWI
    4. a chose this one as it is the only one containing a maple leaf
    5. d officer's promotion celebration
    6. c 5 years service

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 0:12

9 years ago

Here's mine....

#1 C I hope I got this one right
    #2 B
    #3 B
    #4 A
    #5 D I wanted to say A but...LOL
    #6 C

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, four stars for Bobbie and Annette who scored 100%!

1. Yep, Philadelphia is where the Marines began. Robert Mullen, owner of the Tun Tavern was authorized to raise 2 battalions.
    2. The RCMP were originally called the North West Mounted Police
    3. The nickname Devil Dogs comes from WWI and specifically from the Battle of Belleau Wood. Interestingly, there is an article in the NY Times today, but doesn't specifically address this question. After reading the article, I very much want to visit the place.
    4. Yes, a is the answer! Ha-meant to have two choices with the Maple leaf. Oops.
    5. Wetting Down is the promotion party
    6. The star represents 5 years service.

Thanks for playing all. Hope everyone has a happy, healthy week!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Belleau Wood

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, four stars for Bobbie and Annette who scored 100%!

1. Yep, Philadelphia is where the Marines began. Robert Mullen, owner of the Tun Tavern was authorized to raise 2 battalions.
    2. The RCMP were originally called the North West Mounted Police
    3. The nickname Devil Dogs comes from WWI and specifically from the Battle of Belleau Wood. Interestingly, there is an article in the NY Times today, but doesn't specifically address this question. After reading the article, I very much want to visit the place.
    4. Yes, a is the answer! Ha-meant to have two choices with the Maple leaf. Oops.
    5. Wetting Down is the promotion party
    6. The star represents 5 years service.

Thanks for playing all. Hope everyone has a happy, healthy week!

Cynthia

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Belleau Wood

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks for the question and answer, Cynthia. Good for me you made that mistake. Great star photo. You are so creative!

• thinman
    9 years ago

Sorry I didn't get back to post my answers. I had all but number 5, so I'll give myself three stars.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Woohoo, TM! You definitely get three. In fact, I would probably have given you all four, but will defer to your more stringent grading protocol (high school vs elementary...).

ðÂÂÂ
    Cynthia

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH