Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Happy October! For Tea today...

lavender_lass
12 years ago

For tea today, I'm having some lovely Earl Grey (surprise) and thinking about plans for the garden, next year. I finally finished my arbor/bench (yea!) and decided to put it in the new addition to the kitchen garden, rather than the fairy garden. I think I'll keep the little table and chairs there, since they look so cute and are perfect for the nieces to sit in :)

It's been raining ALL day today and I'm so glad to have all the water. No sprinklers for the last few days and weeding is going to be so much easier this weekend. I need to move some shrubs and get the rest of the 'porch plants' in, but Saturday is supposed to be sunny and sixty degrees...perfect weather for planting. I can even wear a jacket, when I move a few roses.

Also, the apple tree is beautiful! The apples are turning a wonderful shade of red and they're almost ripe enough to eat. My mom makes amazing apple pie, so I'm hoping we can pick some, this weekend. The last two years have not been good for apples, but this year is making up for it! They look so good, if it doesn't quit raining, I may just take a picture through the window. LOL

Speaking of pictures, I'll try to take some this weekend, of the new bench, garden and apple tree. If any of you have pictures you want to share, put them on, too. I'd love to see everyone's fall garden.

Have a lovely Thursday and enjoy your tea!

Comments (9)

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

Sounds like a good weekend ! :)
    I am having White tea Ginger Pear and meandering out to see if my delphiniums have rebloomed yet (almost), my new primulas have rotted from the rain (nope), or my amsonia yellowing (not yet ) lol Guess I'm in an in-between stage.
    The table and chairs sound neat :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

White tea Ginger Pear...that sounds good!

Wow, your delphiniums rebloom? We don't have a long enough summer for that to happen. How long before you have frost?

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Last night and early this morning we got over 6" of rain !!!!

In her life time Maeve has not seen rain, other than a few sprinkles. She does not like it.

We had our fall plant swap yesterday.

{{gwi:615202}}

{{gwi:615211}}

{{gwi:615216}}

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Looks like there was lots to choose from. I've never been to a plant swap.

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

OOOOOOH, *wistful eyes* plant swap. I've never been to one either and would love to! I've been to Gardenfair at Wintertur in Deleware and that is awesome, but not a swap.
    Lavenderlass, we got frost in October last year, but it's currently almost in the '90s, so I'm never sure from year to year.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

In 2006 a couple of us decided that we would start one. No one pays for plants. They are all swapped. We bring our lunch and also do door inexpensive prizes. If anyone wants info on starting one, email me. plantmaven at gee mail dot com.

• girlgroupgirl
    12 years ago

I'm so glad you have had rain, Plantmaven. We have some today (and yesterday) too. Not that we had been without as long as you, but it had been long enough.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Thanks GGG. It has also stayed in the 80's I need to get out and plant the plants I brought home. But it is still very wet. Which seems strange. And of course the dogs have tracked it inside.
    I really don't care, I am so thankful for the rain.

Kathy

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, I've been gone...it's so good to see that you got rain! Maybe Maeve will get used to it? Tell her it's better than snow :)

The plant swap is a wonderful idea. I wish we had something like that. There's been some talk about starting a garden club, in our area...and if they do, I will ask you for that start up info!

Today, things seem to be (hopefully) calming down a bit. Too much to go into right now, but I've been looking forward to a nice cup of tea, today. I had a yummy orange spice muffin with it, but now I'm in the mood to bake! So much still to do in the garden, but we're running out of good weather. It's supposed to be fairly nice this weekend (high 50s) and then the temperatures start to dive down to the 40s. Once that happens, we get some hard freezes at night and no more planting until spring. Although, I might fit in a few more bulbs. LOL

Hope you are all having a wonderful week and enjoy your tea...or beverage of your choice :)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm