Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Aaah, so nice to get up in the daylight for a change! Our weather has turned very chilly and windy, just as it should this time of year! So, how much do you know about Daylight Saving Time? As Nancy said yesterday, this could be too easy. Let's see.

1. Who first proposed DST and why?

2. What country was the first to adopt it?

3. During what era did the US and Canada first use it?

4. Which of our countries was first to use it?

5. How many barrels of oil does the US Department of Transportation say are saved per day by DST?
A. 1,000
B. 10,000
C. 100,000
D. 1,000,000

Bonus: what health ailment decreases in the fall when clocks are turned back and increases in the spring when clocks are turned forward?

There you have it. Now, off to get my first cuppa and read the newspaper. :)

Cynthia

Comments (21)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

Oh, it was a lovely sleep in this am! And Please Sir, could I have some more??!! I seem to remember some of these, but will wait for others to chime in first!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Oh lordy, this is a tough one, I seem to remember it has something to do with war but after that it's a blank :).

Annette

• thinman
    9 years ago

So far I know all of them except for the first five and the bonus question. I do actually have a guess about number three, thinking in terms of possible energy savings.

TM

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I just looked this up the other day because I couldn't remember when DST ended.....they seem to change it from year to year. So I feel like I'm cheating if I know the answers :-)

I was always told that it had something to do with farm kids and being able to help with chores before school but was surprised to find that had little, if anything, to do with it. Amazing the amount of trivia one can gather just from surfing the 'net!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

If memory serves, it was created by someone we consider Canadian, but came from the 'auld sod'. I think we adopted it before the US, but can't remember the decade. That's all I got without clues!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, you folks certainly weren't early to rise! No worries. The pups started to move around once the sun was up, so no sleeping in for me. :(

TM, you are so funny! Actually, I thought you might get the bonus right away!

GG, thanks for not giving anything away! It is amazing that we have so much info right at our fingertips these days.

Annette, good thinking. Now, which one?

Nancy, don't need the decade exactly. You are partly on the right track, but partly off. The fellow who came up with the idea was most definitely not Canadian or Irish.
    Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    9 years ago

OK, I think #1 is your bespectacled fellow.

Nancy.

9 years ago

OK I'll hazard a guess World War 1 for part of #1. I'm still in the dark about the rest of it :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yikes! We may get a freeze tonight. I wonder if Chuck has enough antifreeze in his BMW. He loves that car. All his precision instruments are from the same place. He has lots of confidence in the level of exactitude (is that a word?).

Woohoo Annette.

So, Nancy has #1 ( but you still need the why) and #4, Annette has #3. GG knows them all from looking them up, so feel free to chime in with clues.

One of my favorite poems is by Edna St. Vincent Millay: my candle burns at both ends/It will not last the night/But ah my foes and oh my friends/It gives a lovely light. From A Few Figs From Thistles.

I think it is surprising that we continue this (although I rather like the changes) for such little profit actually.

TM really should guess the bonus even though it may not quite apply.

Cynthia, who is not thrilled that it is Sunday night, but is sonewhat less disgruntled since the next two days are work days with no students-had a desk hurled at me last week. I need a break.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I know 3 and 4 and the bonus question. I know what country #1 lived in but not his name. Think I also know why he suggested DST.

Going out to celebrate DH birthday with our kids. Will check in later.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Well, my guess for number three was way off. Luckily, I didn't say what it was, so I don't have to be embarrassed in front of you all.

I'm mentally lashing myself, thinking that I should be getting the bonus question, yet I have nothing. Is it associated with schools?

Speaking of schools, I'm stunned that you would have a desk hurled at you, Cynthia. I don't know exactly what groups you work with, but is physical assault just part of the job description? I've said it before; you don't get paid enough.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The reason I thought you might get the bonus TM is that it is a health scare about which you can say been there done that. As far as the desk, yes, she picked it up by its legs and spun around throwing it at me as if she were throwing a discus . Sheesh. Almost hit my head. She threw it 6-7 feet! Strong angry kid. I work at what we call a Comprehensive Services Site. Used to be for Emotionally Disturbed students, but now I have autistic, intellectually disabled (formerly called mentally retarded), and the ED kids. Very different from 15 years ago. The ED ones are much more violent and out of control now. The others really shouldn't be in the same class with them. There really isn't anything we can do if the parents won't agree to move her to a more restrictive, private school (paid for by my county). I am planning to call our union just to see what my rights are and if the district can be held responsible for not keeping staff safe. Our principal told me we will have to keep her. Then, he left. Typical. Unfortunately, mine is a right-to-work state, so our unions are not really unions and we have no leverage. Sigh. It is a mess.

Wow. Didn't mean to go into all that! Sorry.

Bobbie, you probably do know the name of #1. Have a fun birthay dinner. Say happy birthday from all of us!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Going for an early night as worked hard in the gardens with fall cleanup and getting leaves bagged before tomorrow's rain. May get in half a day's work yet tomorrow. At least it is not snow like some eastern states had today, but that will be here soon, talking about Wednesday.

1. A guy from New Zealand who wanted more time to collect nature specimens. Think I read this somewhere.

2. Germany?

3. During WWI 1918 + Ended after the war.

4. Canada

5. Edited as meant to put B

Bonus: Heart attacks

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Nov 3, 14 at 0:03

• thinman
    9 years ago

Well, yeah, heart attacks. I should've guessed that from the been-there-done -that clue, but no, even that was beyond me. Not my finest showing here in trivia world.

They were good questions and hints, I just couldn't get the old brain to click. Oh well, maybe next time.

Good grief. No wonder you are counting the years to retirement. That's horrible, for you and the kids. If you can get any learning to take place in that group, you deserve a medal. Michigan is a "Right To Work" state now too, but so far I think most teachers have stuck with the union. We'll see how bargaining working conditions shakes out over the next few years. Hang in there and consider wearing a football helmet.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Cynthia, what a scary situation to face and so frustrating to get no support from your administration. I have lots of respect for those like yourself who teach in those difficult circumstances.

9 years ago

Cyn, you are one special person. Where would we all be without people like you (((Hugs))).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So, for all your kind and supportive words, four stars for you all, even if you weren't sure of all the answers!

Here are the right ones:

1. It was Benjamin Franklin in April of 1784 who first suggested (in an essay) daylight saving time as a way to save candles.

2. Germany was the first country to adopt DST in April 1916. Great Britain followed suit in May of the same year. Today, approximately 70 countries around the world observe DST.

3&4. The US and Canada began using it during WWI. The US repealed it, but reinstated it during WWII. Canada beat us to it, though!

5. B.

Bonus. Yes, heart attacks increase in the spring when we switch over and drop of during the fall switch back. Interesting.

Thanks for playing all. Tomorrow is my first day this week with students. They were off yesterday and today. We had meetings all day yesterday and today was spent doing grades and IEP progess reports. Never did get to planning---for this week or the new quarter. Oh well. Again, thanks for putting up with my rants. Have a marvelous week. We are enjoying mild-ish days this week. Nice.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Didn't see any rants, Cynthia, just a statement of fact. Wish your remaining week goes well.

Thanks for the stars. Franklin, eh? Was there a shortage of candles?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I suspect he was just being his frugal self, Bobbie! :). They didn't go into detail, but maybe if I do some research...

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Here is an article which indicates he wrote an essay suggesting Parisians wake earlier to take advantage of the early sunlight for the amusement of his friends which was later published.

Here is a link that might be useful: Franklin and Daylight Saving Time

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha. You beat me to it! That is great!

Cynthia

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!