Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers! It is a brilliant, Sunny day here! Hope you all remembered to put your clocks back last night, to get that extra hour of sleep this morning. Time is interesting, isn't it - someone tells us it's an hour later today, and a half hour later in Newfoundland. We cross the Pacific and gain/lose a whole day - wow. Einstein was right, it is all relative.

Well on to my trivia question: I am looking for an artist today. He saw a lot of changes in his life, and worked in many mediums. He even had the opportunity to work with such diverse minds as Alfred Hitchcock and Walt Disney. Who am I searching for? Any clues? I will be back with a few,

Nancy.

Comments (20)

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thinking, thinking.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol - he might have liked you!!

His painterly skills are often attributed to the influence of Renaissance masters. He was a skilled draftsman. In his 20's he travelled to Paris and met Pablo Picasso, whom he revered. Picasso had heard favourable things about our boy from Joan Miro. In the 1930's, he met Sigmund Freud, who greatly influenced him, and Coco Chanel invited him to her house "La Pausa" in Roquebrune on the French Riviera. Here he painted numerous paintings. He also dabbled in 3-dimensional works.

Hmmmm.....am I stimulating any memories?

Nancy.

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 12:06

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Your last posting eliminated one I was thinking about, Andy Warhol.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Andy Warhol considered him to be one of the greatest influences on pop art, though it was not his medium....

Late in his career, he did not confine himself to painting, but experimented with many unusual or novel media and processes: he made bulletist works. Many of his works incorporated optical illusions, negative space, visual puns, and trompe l'oeil visual effects. He also experimented with pointillism, enlarged half-tone dot grids (which Roy Lichtenstein would later use), and stereoscopic images. He was among the first artists to employ holography in an artistic manner. He also had a keen interest in natural science and mathematics. These were used to great effect in his works.

Any help?

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Key words, aside from the obvious, thus far:
    time
    memories
    draftsman
    illusions

There are two words I could use that would immediately give this away - this is someone well known, even to the most casual observer of art!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, getting desperate for guess.....here's the 1st giveaway -
    mustache.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I've been away today and am just joining the party now, typing this on my new IPad Air. It looks like Cynthia is still missing the use of her computer. I will be a good test case to see if this artist is truly known to the most casual observer of art. I am definitely one of those, and have no idea yet, even with the mustache clue.

T.M.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I'm back! Still no computer, but asked Chuck to take a break, so I could use the MacBook to pay bills. Now, I am cheating while he is fixing something for dinner! Worked out great-haha. Out for most of the day. I went to a political rally for one of our candidates for governor-not so much because I like him, but because the President was speaking. It was in one of the high school gyms and my friend and I were pretty close, but I couldn't see most of the time because of some tall folks in front of me. Still, they were nice and one even took a picture for me with my camera. He was about 6'3". Too bad he didn't offer to let me stand in front of him. At 5'3", I certainly wouldn't have blocked his view! ;)

Anyway, I have a guess-surrealist, perhaps?

TM, how do you like the iPad Air? I have heard they are amazingly light and thin. Have fun with your new toy.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, fancy-schmacy. IPods, I have an el cheapo tablet, which is still pretty cool. I think Cyn has given a very good clue.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Haha, Nancy. You just gave a pretty good clue, too. I am so excited that I may actually know an answer. It has been a while! I am sitting here smiling my Mona Lisa smile.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I have been working outside cutting back plants, comfortable though very windy.

Was thinking of a well known painting of man who is known for his facial expression but he sure wasn't smiling. Do nots know if this artist had a mustach.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK TM, they say a picture is worth a thousand words....perhaps it is worth an answer??

{{gwi:615484}}

How's that?

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

OK, you win. I do know that one. I actually thought of Dali when you wrote mustache but thought he was from a much earlier time.

T.M.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:615486}}

Such an odd duck, he was! The painting, by the way, is called "The Persistence of Memory" - I was always fascinated by it, I think it is one of his most iconic works.

Salvador Domingo Felipe Jacinto Dalí i Domènech, 1st Marqués de Dalí de Pubol (May 11, 1904 - January 23, 1989), known as Salvador Dalí, was a prominent Spanish surrealist painter born in Figueres, in the Catalonia region of Spain. I figured there were many clues that would be a dead giveaway, such as mustache, surreal and born in Spain. He lived in interesting times, as they say, and saw much of the history or the 20th Century unfold. Dalí was highly imaginative, and also enjoyed indulging in unusual and grandiose behavior. His eccentric manner and attention-grabbing public actions sometimes drew more attention than his artwork, to the dismay of those who held his work in high esteem, and to the irritation of his critics.

Bobbie, I was waiting to hear back, but I think you got it?

So, for everyone:

Thanks for playing along. See you all next week - hope you have a great one!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvador Dali

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I didn't see your post on my computer when I wrote the following: While the painting is familiar I did not remember the artist. I will hang on TM's coattails once again and go with Dali.

Earlier I was thinking of Chagall.

So no stars for me. Tried to post last night but our WiFi was not working.
    Thanks for the question. Enjoyed thinking about art all day. We visit art museums wherever we go so I have seen many surrealists paintings and other works though am not good at remembering the artists' names. Love impressionist works and know those artists a bit better.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 15:39

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nancy, for the big fat clue that finally did it for me. It sounds like Cynthia guessed it when she wrote surrealist.

Cynthia, I'm just getting used to the iPad. It was either the iPad or a new laptop. I'm not positive I made the right choice, but I couldn't resist it.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love my little tablet - I have it downstairs, and can open it in the kitchen with recipes that I am cooking. Also can check the progress of Trivia without climbing said stairs! Now, if I could just master the stylus!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun and the stars. Your mustache clue nailed it for me! Fun question and I am always happy when I actually guess one. :)

Have a fun week playing with those tablets!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Cynthia's Mona Lisa smile comment had me thinking of Marcel Duchamp's drawing a mustache on a paper copy of the Mona Lisa.

Sunday's Parade which comes with our paper had a photo of Dali noting his mustache but I didn't read it until Monday.

I enjoy trivia, even the red herrings.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Didn't mean the Mona Lisa reference to be a red herring Bobbie. Dali was vociferous in his objection to the 'desecration' of the Mona Lisa. Another artist also painted the Mona Lisa with Dali's eyes and mustache. Sorry I confused the issue for you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting