Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning, cottagers. While debating what to choose for a question today, I came across somehing fun-or at least I thought so. We always think of famous "firsts", but how about famous "lasts"? For instance, do you know who was the last man to set foot on the moon? Eugene (Gene) Cernan. How about the last person executed in the Tower of London? Josef Jakobs, a German spy, in 1941 who broke hois leg on the parachute jump into England and so had to be seated on an old Windsor chair in front of the firing squad. Then there is the last Bonaparte: Jerome-Napoleon Charles Bonaparte who never held a job or a profession as he had so much inherited wealth, died in NY City in 1945 when he tripped on the leash of his dog and broke his neck! Anyway, it was fascinating reading and I will supply the link later. For now, your mission is to match these last words with the person who spoke them. Have fun. Oh and I am leaving out Napoleon's final word ("Josephine") because that would just be too easy!

1. Nothing, but death.

2. Am I dying or is this my birthday?

3. I can't sleep.

4. I should never have switched from Scotch to martinis.

5. I have tried so hard to do the right

6. Good night my darlings. I'll see you tomorrow.

7. I am not in the least afraid to die.

8. That was a great game of golf, fellers.

9. All my possessions for a moment of time.

1. Turn up the lights, I don't want to go home in the dark.

2. Let us cross over the river and sit in the shade of the trees.

3. Is it the Fourth?

4. I knew it. I knew it. Born in a hotel room-and God damn it-dies in a hotel room.

5. Either that wallpaper goes, or I do.

6. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance.

Gosh, better stop there. Some are funny, but most seem to be rahter poignant. Here are the speakers. Have fun matching.

a. Grover Cleveland, US President

b. James Barrie, author

c. O Henry

d. Jane Austen

e. Queen Elizabeth l

f. Thomas 'Stonewall' Jackson, General in the Army of the Confederacy

g. Lady Nancy Astor

h. Thomas Jefferson, US President

i. General John Sedgwick, Union Commander

j. Noel Coward

k. Bing Crosby

l. Oscar Wilde

m. Charles Darwin

n. Eugene O'Neill

o. Humphrey Bogart

See you all in a bit. ENjoy.

Cynthia

Comments (12)

• thinman
    11 years ago

Wow, that's a formidable challenge. Number 15 is the only one I'm pretty sure of, so I'll have to check back again, as always.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Hmmmmm, I'm pretty sure I know 4 and 8, unless the light bulb comes I'm stumbling around in the dark. Goodun' Cyn :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Oh wow - these are familiar, but I' really going to have to put my 'thinking cap' on!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

At one time I knew some of these but today I can't remember any of them.

Last week we were in South Dakota to visit my 85 year old mother. One day out of the three she was more aware and responsive, mostly she sleeps. Perhaps I should have yodeled which would certainly have gotten her, and everyone else's, attention.

Will check back later to see if any clues can jog my memory.

11 years ago

Here are the two I think I know
    4. O. Humphrey Bogart
    8. K. Bing Crosby

6. I've heard this one but alas I no longer remember who said it.

The rest I can't even guess :(.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

I believe number 15 is i. General John Sedgwick, Union Commander, commenting on how unworried he was about the confederate snipers firing at his troops. Shortly thereafter a bullet hit and killed him.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far, so good folks! Here are a few clues:
    1. Said in answer to her sister who asked her if there was anything she wanted.

2. Said in 1964 when she awoke briefly and found all her relatives around her bedside-makes me wish I had know her...very funny

3. Said in 1937 and not by Johnny Depp

4. Said by someone who apparently knew how to whistle. ;). Oops, you already got it, but I am not deleting my clue because I do think it is rather clever! ;)

5. He also holds several interesting firsts including one concerning his marriage and the only one to be counted twice in a list.

6. Stood behind my parents who were at first sorry to be seated in the last row of the theater, but it turned into a story to tell.

7. Maybe not afraid due to lack of belief in heaven or hell

8. Yes, der bingle

9. And there were quite a few possessions to give up

1. A touch of irony always makes for a good story

2. Wonder if he was dreaming of the Rappahannock River here in Virginia

3. Now who would we (Americans, at least) most associate with the Fourth???

4. Perhaps waiting for the ice

5. What can I say? Can't possibly be wittier

6. You got it. Not actually his final final words, but next to last and the phrase is just too perfect as final words.

Sorry it took so long for clues. We ended up going to see "Lincoln". It is an amazing movie. Daniel Day-Lewis is incredible. I figure this one may be the big winner at the Academy Awards both for subject matter and performances. Still, my heart will be in Middle Earth...

11 years ago

Two more but they're guesses
    6. L?

1. H?

Annette

11 years ago

ooops, 6. should be J

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I remembered a few and figured out a few more from the clues and the others from the pattern I noted in the answers.

1. d Jane Austin remembered
    2. g Lady Nancy Astor only other woman not Queen Elizabeth
    3. b James Barrie remembered
    4. o Bogart great clue
    5 a Grover Cleveland clues
    6 j Noel Coward pattern
    7 m Darwin remembered
    8 k Bing Crosby remembered he loved to golf
    9 e Elizabeth, Queen remembered
    10 c O'Henry clue, author
    11 f Stonewall Jackson sounds like something a soldier might say
    12 h Jefferson, who died on July 4th, remembered
    13 n Eugene O'Neill pattern, clue The Iceman Cometh
    14 l Oscar Wilde pattern
    15 i General John Sedgwick breaks the pattern,

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for Bobbie
    ** for Annette
    * for TM

Well done Bobbie! I have always giggled at Oscar Wilde and the wallpaper-just love that he kept his biting humor until the very end.

Lady Astor was pretty funny, too. Our 86 year old neighbor is a feisty broad like that.

Cleveland is the only two-term President to be counted twice in the list because he is the only one to serve two non-consecutive terms. I think his words are rather poignant and make me want to investigate further.

Thomas Jefferson did indeed die on the 4th of July. He and John Adams had rekindled their friendship and were in regular correspondence with each other in their later years. When he died later the same day, Adams' last words were "Jefferson still survives."

There are lots of fun 'lasts' on the link. Thanks for playing. Have a wonderful week all.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Famous lasts

• thinman
    11 years ago

I love Lady Astor's comment. She must have been a hoot.

Though I knew only one, it was a fun subject with great questions and answers, Cynthia. Thanks a lot for digging all those up.

Hope you had a decent Monday. The first day after a vacation is always a cold-water-in-the-face adjustment.

TM

Sponsored