Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning Cottagers. Clear and cool so far this morning, but it supposed to get up into the 60s today with temps staying mild for the next week or so. Today will find me out in the garden once it warms up a bit. We are going to fence the little garden behind the garage because the pups have once again trampled everything I replanted. Aaarrgghh. I think I need a herd of sheep to keep Annabel occupied and away from digging.

So today's question has to do with a particular form or technique of music. The earliest record of it is in 1545, but the technique is used in music around the globe: Persia, Turkey, Bulgaria, Azerbaijan, India, Pakistan, Central Asia, Africa, and Europe. It is thought to have been brought to North America by the Germans.

I shall return with clues.

Cynthia

Comments (19)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Morning all, I think I need clues as nothing is coming to mind :(. I'm going back to digest every word Cyn typed, in case there's a clue and I just missed it.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is a subtle one, Annette. :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hmmmm.......

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One good thing about not having a maid is that I turn old cowboy shows on while I am cleaning on Saturday mornings. Rawhide is on now. Another favorite when I was a kid was Roy Rogers. I even had a cowgirl hat and guns that I wore. Too funny.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

My ears are ringing.....

Nancy.

11 years ago

AHA!!! me thinks I've got it. When I was about 8 Roy Rogers was my hero, I had the hat and guns too. I can still remember how heartbroken I was when one of his movies was playing on a school night and I couldn't go.
    A little bit of Roy Rogers trivia...
    Roy Rogers's first wife was Arlene Wilkins, whom he met in 1931 while on the road with a singing group. Broke, he agreed to sing ''... ..... .....'' for a lemon pie. She made it. They married in 1936.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is that time of year at school. All the kids are coming in with head colds. One of my co-teachers was miserable with the head cold until it moved to her chest. One year, I kept going back and forth between head cold and chest cold. No fun...back and forth, back and forth. Ugh.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Two things come to mind, either strumming guitars or ringing bells.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

NO, Bobbie, I think I put you in the wrong direction. I now think this is one of my least favourite musical styles, right next to Klezmer music and Hawaiian guitars!! lol.

Nancy.

11 years ago

Bobbie, does Switzerland bring anything to mind?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

NO, Bobbie, I think I put you in the wrong direction. I now think this is one of my least favourite musical styles, right next to Klezmer music and Hawaiian guitars!! lol.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Annette, chocolate? Ha, ha. And a long horn.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Is this a vocal technique?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a wonderful warm day today. It is cooling down now that the sun has set behind the mountaintops. The hills are alive...oh wait, we don't have any mountains here. Hehheh. ;)

• thinman
    11 years ago

The weather was in the seventies here today, and might reach 80 most days this week. Of course the only way that could be happening is if I were not in Michigan, which I am not. It's Florida for me for the next week. We got a deal from a friend that we couldn't turn down, so here we are, at a time we have never experienced before. We just checked into the most amazing suite we have ever rented and are discovering that November is a very nice time here!

Yo, Cynthia! I had no idea what the answer might be to your trivia question at first, but having read all the clues at one shot just now has given me a pretty darn good idea what vocal technique we are talking about. I think I did this once or twice by accident back in the days when my voice was changing. :) I'll check back later to see how I did.

TM

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Hey, TM, you had me wondering how MI could have those stretch of warm days while MN is barely going to be in the thirties this next week. It was wonderful to hit 60 today. Glad you are having a great time in Florida.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Yodeling

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have no idea why this popped into my head yesterday morning and I have to agree that it is not a technique I particularly enjoy. The answer is indeed yodeling. **** for Annette, Nancy, Bobbie, and TM!

From my research:
    All human voices are considered to have at least two distinct vocal registers, called the "head" and "chest" voices, which result from different ways that the tone is produced.[22] Most people can sing tones within a certain range of lower pitch in their chest voices and tones within a certain range of higher pitch in their head voices and spring into their falsetto (an "unsupported" register forcing vocal cords in a higher pitch without any head or chest voice air support). In untrained or inexperienced singers, a gap between these ranges often exists, although more experienced singers can control their voices at the point where these ranges overlap and can easily switch between them to produce high-quality tones in either. Yodelling is a particular application of this technique, wherein a singer might switch between these registers several times in only a few seconds and at a high volume. Repeated alternation between registers at a singer's passaggio pitch range produces a very distinctive sound.
    Most experts agree that yodeling was used in Alpine folk music in the Central Alps as a method of communication between herders and their stock or between Alpine villages, with the multi-pitched "yelling" later becoming part of the region's traditional lore and musical expression. The calls may also have been endearments shepherds used to express affection to their herds. The earliest record of a yodel is in 1545, where it is described as "the call of a cowherd from Appenzell".[3][4]
    In Persian classical music, singers frequently use tahrir, a yodeling technique that oscillates on neighbour tones. It is similar to the Swiss yodel, and is used as an ornament or trill in phrases which have long syllables, and usually falls at the end of a phrase.[5] Tahrir is also prevalent in Azerbaijani, Bulgarian, Macedonian, Turkish, Afghan, and Central Asian musical traditions; and to a lesser extent Pakistani and a few Indian musical traditions.
    In Georgian traditional music, yodeling takes the form of krimanchuli technique, and is used as a top part in three/four part polyphony.[6]
    In Central Africa, Pygmy singers use yodels within their elaborate polyphonic singing, and the Shona people of Zimbabwe sometimes yodel while playing the mbira.[7] The Mbuti of the Congo incorporate distinctive whistles and yodels into their songs. Living from hunting and gathering, they sing hunting and harvest songs and use yodelling to call each other. In 1952 ethnomusicologist Hugh Tracey recorded their songs and they have recently been released on compact discs. [8]
    It is thought that yodeling was first introduced to the United States by German immigrants in Pennsylvania in the early 1800s. As the new settlers traveled south through the Appalachian Mountains and beyond into the Deep South they came into contact with Irish immigrants, Scandinavians (practictioners of a unique yodeling called k�lning), and other nationalities including African slaves who communicated with "field hollers", described by Frederick Law Olmstead in 1853 as a �long, loud, musical shout, rising and falling and breaking into falsetto�. German yodeling may have converted southern field hollers into a more musical form and combined them with Irish narrative ballads, resulting in the unique form of the yodeling tradition in America.
    British stage performances by yodelers were common as early as the nineteenth century.[9] Sir Walter Scott wrote in his June 4, 1830 journal entry that "Anne wants me to go hear the Tyrolese Minstrels but...I cannot but think their yodeling...is a variation upon the tones of a jackass."[10] In 1839 the Tyrolese Minstrels toured the United States and started an American craze for Alpine music. During the 1840s, dozens of German, Swiss, and Austrian singing groups crisscrossed the country entertaining audiences with a combination of singing, yodeling, and "Alpine harmony."

So, congratulations all. TM, enjoy your unexpected vacation. Hope all the rest of us are sharing the unexpected warm temps. We fenced the little back area. Four minutes after we finished, The Wild One had jumped over the fence into the garden area (which only has three things still living there). He wouldn't jump back out. I had to unroll some of the fencing we had just stretched to the house so I could get in and out, to let him out. *sigh*. He didn't seem pleased to be inside that space, so maybe now he will stay out. Darn dog can leap like a gazelle. At least our two have stayed out so far. Happy Sunday everyone.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Roy

• thinman
    11 years ago

Actually, call me weird, but I kind of like yodeling, though a little goes a long way. I'm sure you've all heard the old knock knock joke.

Knock knock.
    Who's there?
    Little Old Lady.
    Little Old Lady who?
    I didn't know you could yodel.

Still cracks me up.

Thanks for the fun, Cynthia

TM

Sponsored