Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning friends.

I really must be in either shock or denial....or both. How did our Thanksgiving arrive so quickly? It just doesn't seem possible. Oh well.

I came across a bit of information the other day as I was looking at recipes. One of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes has its origins in slavery. It goes directly back to the very start of slavery in North America.

I will return with clues. Chuck is away at an AA retreat this weekend, so I have absolutely no timeline for the weekend. Lovely.

(No clues there, btw)

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Good morning Cyn. I finished my week of training, so next I am back on the phones. We`ll see how that goes - training remotely, from home, is a challenge!! It is a gorgeous day here, I may try to get out for walk later. Which I might need to do, if I indulged in these treats, as I recall they are prepared in the South??

Nancy - who is struggling with her diet.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Hmmm, I must not of hit the summit button earlier. One thing comes to mind, I've never had it myself but have had something similar.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It is a beautiful day here, too. I have spent the last few hours taking out and cleaning the screens. Started to do the windows, but decided that I will either turn the outsides over to Chuck or pay someone! It would be easier if I could find our little pane-sized squeegee. At least they look a little better (as long as the sun is not shining directly on them showing the smears) and the magnificent orange and yellow colors of the trees are lighting up the inside of the house! Sweet!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Sweet indeed - I think these are one of the veggies I can eat, and do...lol. Maybe too much, as I said I am struggling. I eat their cousins french fried!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Doesn't look like you need it, but I was going to give you another clue. Anyone watch Popeye cartoons back in the 50s?

Cynthia

11 years ago

Me thinks my first thought is right on, that is if I'm on the same track as Nancy :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Popeye??

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not spinach! ;)

Thinking of one of his more famous sayings.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

oiyyyy - that not computing in my brain. I am thinking of my new fav fries....

Nancy.

11 years ago

Nancy, I still think it's what you were referring to earlier, I'm going to stick with my first thought.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since it sounds like you have it, here is the Popeyelink. If someone else joins us and wants more clues...

I will give answer tomorrow, but you should both sleep well tonight in the knowledge that you are brilliant women!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Popeye

• thinman
    11 years ago

As usual lately, I am late to the party, but I have the advantage of seeing all the hints at once, so I have the answer again. Popeye is what he is and that's all that he is.

I was supposed to be home in my own bed tonight, but the flight from Detroit to home had to turn around and return to Detroit because of freezing fog, of all things. We should get out on the 2:00 pm flight tomorrow. Other than that, it's been a great little vacation.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hey TM - better safe that sorry with those flying machines!! Cyn, I am still chuckling at the Popeye link - yams, indeed!!

Nancy.

11 years ago

Actually I think there might be two answers to this, first I was thinking sweet potato pie, but it could be candied yams, oh well I think I got the veggie right.

What we call yams up here are actually orange sweet potatoes, never seen a real yam in my life, apparently they can grow up to 7 or so feet long and are grown mostly in Africa, South America and....

Now pray tell how does everyone make their candied yams, I'm real lazy and do a quick version, peel and slice, drop them in a pyrex measuring cup with a scoop of brown sugar and a pat of butter, cover with a piece of saran wrap and microwave for 5 minutes. I know sacrilege but it's so easy.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hi Annette - I get recipes from this site every day, it seems. I've been trying not to read this one - lol.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Potato recipes!!

11 years ago

Nancy, you are soooooooo bad that's really pulling at the old willpower.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for Nancy, Annette, and TM!

Yes, yams is (are? how embarrassing) the answer. Slave ships carried yams to feed to the Africans on the voyage to America. One report I read that was recorded by a survivor of the trip stated that a few yams would be tossed in among them-not enough for all. They quickly became popular here outside the slave population. Annette is right about sweet potatoes often being referred to as yams.

What I do is buy the canned yams, mash/whip them and add brown sugar, butter, and some crushed pineapple with a little of its juice. Marshmallows on top are de rigeur. :). Mine almost taste like dessert. I bought fresh sweet potatoes for it once, but it was a pain in the neck cooking them.

Frozen fog? Wow. I am picturing the plane flying through something that would shatter like tinted glass. Hope today's flight is quick and safe. So glad you had a fun vacation, TM.

Missed you Bobbie. I suspect you are off yodeling somewhere. ;)

Cynthia

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm