Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Happy Saturday everyone! I hope those of us living stateside had a delightful Thanksgiving on Thursday and that our northern friends are enjoying the weekend. I am still recovering from our Tuesday field trip to Jamestown and Williamsburg with 130 fourth graders (6 am until almost 9 pm when the last kiddo was finally picked up)! Way too much holiday traffic on the way back-ugh. As tiring as it is, it is a terrific learning tool for children who rarely or never even go into Washington DC which is only 10 minutes away(as opposed to three hours for J/W). They always seem to enjoy Jamestown more than Williamsburg. I suppose it is because they have more hands-on experiences there-using a shell to remove the fur from a deerskin, trying on furs in an Indian yehakin (house), going aboard one of the ships that carried the settlers there, seeing the chickens in the fort, making rope from grass, digging in the garden, etc.

Amyway, today is less trivia than word play. DH didn't come up with it right away, so maybe it will challenge you a little.

What do the words reef, figure 8, and constrictor have in common?

Time for the newspaper and another cup of tea. Staying away from the stores again today. How embarrassing for the US to have all those crazy incidents, all to save a few dollars. Hope your day is a breeze, whatever you do.

Cynthia

Comments (15)

• thinman
    12 years ago

You got going early today, Cynthia. Your turkey day dinner must have finally worn off. :)

I totally know this answer, for a change, and if Martha from Nova Scotia was still playing with us, she would instantly know it too.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

You are indeed at it early!! Sadly, my brain has yet to kick in.....must think about this!! Glad you had a good TG!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Mornin all, it has been so not nice up here the last couple of days, high winds and torrential rains, lots of people without power and even the ferries were shut down for a time. We're in a little area that seemed to miss the brunt of it thank goodness.

Great clue TM :)

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, Annette. I am sorry to hear of your tempest-tossed weather. Must have been bad if they tied up the ferries. We have been blessed with fair (following) winds and sunshine with temps in the 60s since Thursday. My advice? Batten down the hatches and put a good movie on or pick up a great book. One of our cable channels is running The Lord of the Rings films all weekend. I keep popping in to catch my favorite scenes and then realize how marvelous the entire films are. So getting a little work done outside, but taking long breaks to watch the movies.

Cynthia

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Good morning all! I'm actually up sort of early this morning too even though DH fed the dogs and let them out; I just had to get up and get going. My little furry and feathery friends are waiting for me to fill their dishes now. The little squirrel has already filled the big one with pine cones or I guess they are spruce cones! The birds are NOT impressed!

Good to hear the kids had fun Cynthia! Tiring as it may be for you, some of those kids will remember field trips such as these for the rest of their lives!

An unseasonally warm day again here today and tomorrow it is supposed to be like spring again! Good weekend to put up the lights after I get all the knots and tangles out of the strings!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend so far. :)

Ginny

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

I could twist my brain into knots with some of these trivia questions! Right now I'm in a mood for untangling my brain! :-) (Just got off from work.)

• thinman
    12 years ago

It looks like I'm not the only one who knows this.

TM

12 years ago

Daughter of a sailor TM! :)

Ginny

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

lol. I had not a clue!! Went to work, and actually put the words up on the whiteboard, and explained to those who asked about the trivia question. One of my co-workers came to me a couple of hours later, and gave me the answer - it was a bolt from the blue, but made sense. She came back a couple of hours after that, and admitted that the young lady sitting next to her had googled it on her phone. Phooey. And Lorna, I am untangling with a nice glass of chardonnay!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Okay, lots of clues here gave me the answer. Good thing there were clues as this is something that I do not know much about. The ones I am familiar with are in my shoes.

Wish I were close to go with you and your fourth graders, Cynthia. I love taking field trips with kids. Those are both places that I have wanted to visit. The experiential activities at Jamestown sound like fun.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I don't have a sailboat any more, but I've tied each of these knots lots of times through the years, especially the reef knot (square knot). The constrictor knot is kind of tricky, but is really great for getting a super-tight wrap around something. I used to use figure eight knots as line stoppers to keep the lines from escaping through halyard blocks up the mast

Fun question, Cynthia. Thanks.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Wasn't sure about 'constrictor' until TM mentioned Martha :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

**** for TM, Annette, Ginny, Lorna, and Bobbie! Nancy, do you get stars today?

Yes, the answer is nautical knots. When we were at Jamestown, one of the re-enactors had the kids tying knots. He referred to a reef knot and said landlubbers call it a square knot. Never heard the term reef knot before-we always said square knot. So, I thought I would try it. Too easy for all of you. Chuck, the Eagle Scout and sailor, said it was too easy and EVERYONE would know the figure 8 knot.

Congratulations all. Thanks for playing. Now, on to Nancy's trivia!

Cynthia

12 years ago

First thing I thought of with the word reef was a reef knot. Dad was a real knotty person! Lol! My brother and I would try and try to make knots as kids and Dad was always right there with encouragement! He could splice rope like the dickens too! Always making me lead ropes that my horse couldn't break!

That was an easy one Cyn! Even my daughter knew that one right off the bat but she spent a lot of time with Grandpa! Lol! Thanks for the trivia! On to Nancy's question.

Ginny

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

Yes, figure 8 was the giveaway for me. Reference to Martha made me sure I had it.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio