Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning everybody! I just love Autumn! The crisp air just brings me back to life even though everything else is settling down for a nap. Now, tomorrow will be a different story. It is supposed to go down into the teens! That is unusual here, even in the dead of winter. You do know that we know all of you have sent this our way, don't you?! ;)

Anyway,, for day, a little bit of plant history is your challenge. I am looking for the name of a tree. When French explorer Jacques Cartier entered the Great Lakes Basin in the 1500s, Native Americans had already been using this tree for thousands of years. Its rot-resistant wood was used for canoe frames, fishing gear, and baskets. It would become very important to Cartier's expedition as well. Any ideas? I will be back with more clues. If you are a member of the American Horticultural Society, you may already know this since I came across it in them most recent journal.

Cynthia

Comments (22)

• thinman
    10 years ago

It's 18ðF here this morning and windy, with a little snow. I'd really like to send it somewhere, though not necessarily south.

I have an idea in mind for this tree. So far, I can think of only two trees in this area that have wood considered rot-resistant. I won't blurt out my thoughts just yet.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Mornin' all, I have one or two thoughts on this too, later.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Morning all! Not as cool here, we're looking at about 28F. We have a skiff. of snow here - I love that word, skiff. I used to have one, you, an antique skiff. Ribs were one kind of wood that had great tensile strength, while the skin was a rot resistant type of wood. Hmmmmm.....traditionally, I'm not sure how that all went.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cartier considered this tree to be a tree of life since the American Indians showed them that tea made from the leaves could cure his men of scurvy.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I should know this as I recently read an article about canoe making. And a memoir of an American Indian in which a group went to choose a tree for canoe making. But...two trees come to mind. Now to ponder and wait for the answer to surface.

Off to fill the heated birdbath as this cold dry air makes the water disappear quickly. Temps in the teens, with wind feels like 3 degrees F.

10 years ago

Hmmm, "Tree of Life" this has me thinking in another direction. Possible we have a lot of this tree in B.C.????

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been considering a heated birdbath this year, Bobbie. I may look for one that I can attach to the deck since we have an outlet there.

As much as I love fall, I am missing the cover we have before all the leaves drop. I should plant evergreens around the entire perimeter of the yard, but fear I would feel too closed in unless I could create a mixed tree/shrub hedge that wouln't block too much of our little bit of sun in the summer. Not asking for much---just want to block the view of all our neighbors while creating an large, open feel to our own yard. Ha. Right.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Morning all! Not as cool here, we're looking at about 28F. We have a skiff. of snow here - I love that word, skiff. I used to have one, you, an antique skiff. Ribs were one kind of wood that had great tensile strength, while the skin was a rot resistant type of wood. Hmmmmm.....traditionally, I'm not sure how that all went.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Sorry, again with the double posting.
    I am thinking of a tree/shrub that would solve your dilemma, and yep, Annette would one cultivar in her neck of the woods. We have another here, and down south is yet another that was used in the 20's by some builders for runabout bottoms.

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

One type of tree with really rot-resistant wood is the locust, but it's not all that common here, and I doubt if it would be the answer. The other kind comes in red and white varieties, with the white kind being common in this region. The leaves are very aromatic and I can imagine that they might make a medicinal tea. In my neck of the woods fence posts are still commonly made from these trees.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

TM, I like the way you are thinking!!

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Sorry, again with the double posting.
    I am thinking of a tree/shrub that would solve your dilemma, and yep, Annette would one cultivar in her neck of the woods. We have another here, and down south is yet another that was used in the 20's by some builders for runabout bottoms.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

TMs comment reinforces my thoughts of this tree. The wood is well known for its weather resistance and used in suburban areas for outdoor structures, including my deck.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmmm....thought I posted a couple of hours ago. Apparently not.

TM, did you know there is one named after you? Thin Man. Cool.

Cartier called it l'arbre de vie when he saw how quickly his men recovered after drinking the Vitamin C-rich tea.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

I didn't know about the Thin Man tree. Pretty cool.

TM

10 years ago

Red or White Cedar? Hmmmm, Funny how my mind works, Cedar, now this has got me thinking of planked salmon real yummy.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tree that cured Cartier's men of scurvy was the American Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis). As I said, Cartier called it l'arbre de vie which was later latinized to arbor vitae. Drinking the tea which was rich in Vitamin C led to swift recoveries-five days by one account.

I found the article in this month's "The American Gardener" (November/December).

It is very cold here today. Snow would be fun, but none in sight. :(

Off to today's trivia. Have a wonderful week and a marvelous Thanksgiving to Bobbie and TM -Laura, too if she is reading along here. Nancy and Annette, I am always thankful for you, as well as for TM, Bobbie, and Laura. It is delightful having you in my life!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

So good ole Eastern White Cedar - very cool. I had never heard the part about the tea. I love the scent of it, but I'm not sure about the tea......

Thanks for the mind stretch, Cyn.

Nancy.

10 years ago

Has anyone else ever had Pine Needle Tea, loaded with Vitamin C, had this at an event the Mormon community put on one evening back in the 80's, wasn't half bad. Also picked up another tip there, take the wrappers off your bar/hand soap and store in an open container, they dry out and last sooooo much longer.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Never had the tea, Annette. Since I always sweeten my tea, I would probably like it. Thank for the soap tip!

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Cool question, Cynthia. Who knew that cedar leaves had Vitamin C? Did you know that cedar is so aromatic that it can taint the meat of wild game that feed on it, usually in the winter when food is scarce? A fellow teacher who is a bird hunter told me that he couldn't even eat the grouse he got on one winter hunt.

Thanks for the fun.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I had no idea that arborvitae is also known as white cedar. And I realize that it is not really a cedar at all.

I am not a tea drinker and what little I know of teas is due to buying gifts for friends.

Thanks for the question and informative answer.

Sponsored