Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Good Sunday Morning, Cottages!! It is grey today, as promised, but no rain yet, and still mild. I've had the window of my bedroom open a bit all night!

Well, perhaps a simple question today - what is the largest lake in the world? Not a sea or a former sea, a true continental (this is, wholely contained within a continent) lake...I've disqualified one right there.

I'll be back with clues, if you smart guys need them!!

Nancy.

Comments (32)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hmmm...good question. I will need clues. Trying to think continent by continent. Have a couple thoughts, but no idea as to relative size. You are talking size as in acres covered as opposed to volume of water contained, aren't you?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Cyn - good point. It is the largest by surface area. There is a lake with greater volume by almost double!! You are one of the better players because you know which questions to ask.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Good Morning all,
    Hope you're feeling a little better this morning Cyn.
    Nancy the lake I'm thinking of is contained within one continent but shared by two countries. Am I on the right track or do I have to give my crystal ball a good smack to smarten it up, it hasn't had much use as of late :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

And I bow to Annette's brilliant mind! It is the best! She didn't need even one clue. Outstanding! Can you tell we are working on synonyms at school? Haha.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Darn. I thought this might be too easy! Alright you smartypants, which is the largest by volume?

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I have a shaky recollection that there is a really big lake in or near Russia, and another in Africa. That's about it for me so far.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Bwahhaha laughed Cynthia evilly (is that even a word), despite the fact that Annette's intellect was obviously superior to her own. Da, TM, we drink toast in dacha to celebrate. Too cold outside.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Memory is a tricky thing,isn't it? Last time I was in school, one of my teachers tried to make us trust our mind, and our memory.

Speaking of minds, I am growing more comfortable with my little tablet. As I am typing for example, I am learning that it not only has auto-select,but also auto-correct on some words. It automatically capitalized 'I' when I type it. Love it. I also have downloaded the kindle app, and now have several books set aside to read - now to take the time!

I know boring rant - last paragraph has nothing to do with the question or a
    Clue.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Memory is a tricky thing,isn't it? Last time I was in school, one of my teachers tried to make us trust our mind, and our memory.

Speaking of minds, I am growing more comfortable with my little tablet. As I am typing for example, I am learning that it not only has auto-select,but also auto-correct on some words. It automatically capitalized 'I' when I type it. Love it. I also have downloaded the kindle app, and now have several books set aside to read - now to take the time!

I know boring rant - last paragraph has nothing to do with the question or a
    Clue.

Nancy.

10 years ago

Well, you got me there I haven't a clue unless perhaps your looking for the C.S, yes, no?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah, well. Largest by surface you have, but C is not 'continental' lake, but a sea, once part of the ocean. Therefore, does not qualify.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

This is another I once knew but memory fails. I am thinking of a lake named for royalty on a dark continent.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Or one closer to home.

10 years ago

Victoria?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No darkness. V is in the top five, but neither of the answers we seek.

I like being close to home, don't you, Bobbie?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

If I am right about the lake with the greatest volume, I included clues in my last post. If I am wrong, please don't send me into exile.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Da, Cynthia - nostrovia. Have I completely confused everyone?

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Everyone except Sarah Palin maybe.

Sorry, couldn't resist that clue for the second lake. ;)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ah, I do like being close to home.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM - are you near all those tornados??

Nancy.

10 years ago

Is it that one in Russia, unfortunately I can't name it :(.

Annette

• thinman
    10 years ago

Nope, I'm a few hundred miles north of them, thank goodness. We are under a tornado watch, which is rare in these parts, but it will expire in an hour. We have had heavy rain all day and expect to get slammed with wind later tonight. I'm hoping my hoop house and greenhouse survive it.

Thanks for asking.

If I were another hundred miles north, I would be at Lake Superior. Now that's a big lake!

TM

This post was edited by thinman on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 18:41

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Nancy, I hope this isn't too much of a give-away. Sounds like...

This was one of my favorites of the parts he played.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Then again, maybe that will further confuse everyone. Hope not. My brain really does make odd connections sometimes-evan when there really isn't a clear connection..or any connection. I'll stop digging now.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Lake Superior is the continental lake with the largest surface. I think the one by volume is in Russia but don't remember the name.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 3:07

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I think we all got the first question - I threw the second in cause I didn't think the first was that easy!! lol. Silly me.

Annette - The Caspian Sea is often regarded as the world's largest lake, but it contains an oceanic basin (contiguous with the world ocean until 11 million years ago) rather than being entirely over continental crust. So that's why I discounted it.

1. Superior * Canada/United States Surface area - 31,820 sq mi; Volume - 2,900 cu mi.

2 Victoria Uganda/Kenya/Tanzania Surface area - 26,828 sq mi; Volume - 660 cu mi. The largest lake in Africa.

3.Huron Canada/United States Surface area - 23,000 sq mi; Volume - 850 cu mi) Contains Manitoulin Island, the world's largest lake island.

4. Michigan * United States Surface area - 22,000 sq mi; Volume - 1,200 cu mi Largest lake entirely within one country.

5.Tanganyika * Burundi/Tanzania/ Zambia/Democratic Republic of the Congo Surface area - 12,700 sq mi Volume - 4,500 cu mi. It is the longest lake in the world.

6.Baikal * Russia Surface area - 12,200 sq mi Volume - 5,700 cu mi. Deepest lake in the world. Largest volume fresh water lake in the world.

And here why Lake Superior is, well, superior:
    LAKE SUPERIOR FACTS
    · Lake Superior contains ten percent of all the fresh
    water on the planet Earth.
    · It covers 82,000 square kilometers or 31,700 square miles.
    · The average depth is 147 meters or 483 feet.
    · There have been about 350 shipwrecks recorded in Lake Superior
    · Lake Superior is, by surface area, the largest lake in the world.
    A Jesuit priest in 1668 named it Lac Tracy, but that name
    was never officially adopted.
    · It contains as much water as all the other Great Lakes
    combined, plus three extra Lake Erie's!!
    · There is a small outflow from the lake at St. Mary's River
    (Sault Ste. Marie) into Lake Huron , but it takes almost
    two centuries for the water to be completely replaced.
    · There is enough water in Lake Superior to cover all of North and
    South America with water one foot deep.
    · Lake Superior was formed during the last glacial retreat, making it one
    of the earth's youngest major features at only about 10,000 years old.
    · The deepest point in the lake is 405 meters or 1,333 feet.
    · There are 78 different species of fish that call the big lake home.
    · The maximum wave ever recorded on Lake Superior was 9.45 meters
    or 31 feet high.
    · If you stretched the shoreline of Lake Superior out to a straight line,
    it would be long enough to reach from Duluth to the Bahamas ..
    · Over 300 streams and rivers empty into Lake Superior with the
    largest source being the Nipigon River.
    · The average underwater visibility of Lake Superior is about 8 meters
    or 27 feet, making it the cleanest and clearest of the Great Lakes .
    Underwater visibility in some spots reaches 30 meters.
    · In the summer, the sun sets more than 35 minutes later on the
    western shore of Lake Superior than at its southeastern edge.
    · Some of the world's oldest rocks, formed about 2.7 billion years
    ago, can be found on the Ontario shore of Lake Superior .
    · It very rarely freezes over completely, and then usually just for a few
    hours. Complete freezing occurred in 1962, 1979, 2003 and 2009.

Lake Baikal is an UNESCO World Heritage site. It contains 20% of all fresh running water on the planet, making it the single largest reservoir. The lake contains an outstanding variety of endemic flora and fauna, of exceptional value to evolutionary science. It is also surrounded by a system of protected areas that have high scenic and other natural values.

So, there you go - lots of info. to reflect upon and more than you ever probably wanted to know about lakes, great, superior or otherwise.

For everyone:

Thanks for playing - see you all next week.

Hey, TM - we had some wild winds blow through last night - did you send them?? lol. Hope you're OK.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki link on lakes

• thinman
    10 years ago

I did send them, Nancy, but some wouldn't leave - gusting only in the 30 mph range (50 kph) now. Nothing blew away here last night, and we lost power only momentarily. I guess we were lucky. Hope you are too.

Thanks for the great question, stars, and fun.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nancy. I thought Theodore Bikel might give it to someone even though Baikal and Bikel Sound different.

Have a good week. I left school early today and am about to take a nap. Had to check in here first though! :)

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, and I had no idea that Lake Baikal hold 20% of the world's fresh running water. See, even when we know the answer, we learn something new! Love that!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM - are you near all those tornados??

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arghhh, how did that post again - sorry.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and question. Lake Superior has been part of my life since we spent some of our honeymoon along the shore in 1969. Lots of good memories there over the years.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH