Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning dear cottagers! Brrr. It is cold here this morning. I have feed the birds, filled the outside water dishes for the pups (the Wild One is due any minute now), put out the canned goods for the Boy Scouts, and am now sitting down with my first cup of tea to chat with all of you. Perfect start to the weekend.

Monday marks the anniversary of the cessation of fighting in World War I. It is Remembrance Day for our northern neighbors and Veterans Day here in the States. So today, we have a variety of questions to keep you thinking. I suspect you may know many of these, but I hope not all.

1. In the U.S., November 11 was originally called Armistice Day. Under which president was the name of the holiday changed to Veterans Day?

2. In the US, what business is the largest employer of vets with 22% of its employees being veterans?

3. Matching name to military service:

Many celebrities have served. Here are some names and experiences. Can you match the right ones?

1. Kris Kristofferson
2. Drew Carey
3. Tony Bennett
4. James Earl Jones
5. Mel Brooks
6. Alan Alda
7. Bill Cosby
8. MC Hammer
9. Montel Williams

1. Julia Child
  2. Steve McQueen

A. Joined the Navy in 1956 and served as a hospital corpsman working with Korean War vets
B. Trained to be a US Army Ranger, but washed out. Did rise to the rank of 1st Lieutenant
C. Served three years in the US Navy in properly fitting pants
D. US Army Reserve-served a six-month tour as a gunnery sergeant in Korea
E. Army captain and helicopter pilot who did complete Ranger training; he was offered a teaching position at West Point, but turned it down
F. Marine. Special Duty Intelligence officer specializing in cryptology
G. US Army corporal fought in the Battle of the Bulge
H. Marine for three years who served more than a month in the brig for going AWOL for two weeks
J. Intelligence officer in the OSS
K. Served in France and Germany with the 63rd Infantry Division known as the "Blood and Fire Division"
L. Served six years in the Marine Corps Reserve

Hope this is fun for you. Off to grab a second cuppa. Will check back later with clues if needed.

Cynthia

Comments (24)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Oh, boy! That's a mighty tall order of trivia there. I don't know any of them yet, although Steve McQueen seems like a guy who would have spent a little time in the brig.

Chilly here too this morning, with about an inch of snow that came down in the night. It should melt.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Art imitates life, huh, TM!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I can remember discussions of why Armistice Day became Veteran's Day, announced by a hero of WWII, during other discussions of changing the date back to Nov. 11th in the late 70s.

I know Julia Child and ha,ha think I know MC Hammer, Kris Kristofferson and Steve McQueen. Need clues for the others.

Cool and windy today but need to work outside anyway as leaves have covered the ground. Since I use the mulching mower to pick them up it doesn't matter if it is windy. Our fall is rapidly drawing to a close with lows in the teens expected next week.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Chilly here, too. We have been turning the furnace off at night, but may have to revisit that decision! We had snow this other night, but it only lasted on cars and roofs.

Whew, Cyn, that will keep me busy! I think I know some....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a clue for the gentleman who was in the Blood and Fire division: he encountered an old friend, and invited him to eat with him. The friend was black, and an officer from the south suggested that the friend should take his meal in the kitchen. This suggestions was met with language that resulted in The celebrity's demotion from corporal to private, and assignment to a unit desinterring mass graves and preparing the bodies for shipment home. Before returning home, he studied his passion in Heidelberg, although he had been performing since the age of six.

I am sure another found the Battle of the Bulge to be no laughing matter.

"A" used the GI bill to attend Temple University in my home city.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Your corporal to private guy sounds like one of my favorite funny men. We laughed and laughed at his movies in the late 70s/early 80s.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, Bobbie. Your funny man goes elsewhere. Not sure Heidelberg is the place for studying comedy.

"F" moved from the subtleties of ciphers to a more highly charged atmosphere with more uninhibited folks.

"D" also is sort of a case of art imitating life.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks to clues, I know A for sure, D and H, probably, and maybe F.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bet me and Bobbie would love a helicopter ride, especially if the pilot flew us over the Isle of Rhodes.

For "L" I suppose the price for staying in the reserves just wasn't right.

Did you know the theme song of Heidelberg is "I Lost My Heart in Heidelberg"? Coincidence? Hmmm....

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ok, not a funny man, must be a crooner.

D must be the funny man playing an anti-war character in Korea.

Think I've got A, C, D, H, J, K and L.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Hello all,
    I must be a glutton for punishment! Did you know several other forums play trivia games too? You guys are far and away the most mind melting lol! I don't do well on those other games either, but here is just too funny!
    I've actually heard of all these people. I might have a chance getting at least one of those darn soooo coveted stars.
    I think I know #1, #8, and #10
    Laura.
    I'm a grandma again! another little girl :)

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Getting late here so I'll make my guesses,
    Ok Eisenhower?

1-E
    2-B
    3-G
    4-A
    5-K
    6-D
    7-F
    8-C
    9-L
    10-J
    11-H
    I'm not used too this time change yet. I'm off to sit by the fire and call it an internet night. "Let them eat leftovers!" I say.
    Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura, congratulations on your new granddaughter! As to your guesses, you got 1, 6, 8, 10, and 11. You still have time to make some changes if you want. Whatever you do, enjoy your relaxing evening! I am about to look up some French recipes in a cookbook I have. Nothing secret, though.

Our movie portfolio is bulging at the seams-maybe we will put Young Frankenstein in the queue for this weekend.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

OK, here are my answers:
    1. Eisenhower
    2. U. S. Postal Service
    Matching
    1. E
    2. L
    3. K
    4. B process of elimination
    5. G
    6. D
    7. A guessing here
    8. C
    9. F 2nd guess

1. J
    2. H
  • thinman
    10 years ago

For better or worse, I have guesses only for the matching.
    1-E
    2-L
    3-K
    4-J
    5-G
    6-D
    7-A
    8-B
    9-F
    10-C
    11-H

TM

• auntyara
    10 years ago

cyn, lol you got my joke :) My mind is still mush. I'll gratefully except any stars I get for 5 right answers.
    I total forgot about question 2 my guess is post office too. Yes that is a shameless cheat.

Laura

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Was waiting for Nancy, but have decided to go ahead and award the stars to the brave few!

For Bobbie, four stars for getting every one right. For TM, and Laura, three each for getting eight and seven out of all 13 total. Your stars will be in the next post unless I can copy and paste here. We'll see.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are your three stars, Laura and TN!

Also, yes, Eisenhower signed the name change into law. The U.S. Postal Service is indeed the largest employer of veterans. BTW, California has the greatest number of living vets in the states followed by Florida and Texas.

1. Kris Kristofferson E
    2. Drew Carey L
    3. Tony Bennett K
    4. James Earl Jones B
    5. Mel Brooks G
    6. Alan Alda D
    7. Bill Cosby A
    8. MC Hammer C
    9. Montel Williams F

1. Julia Child J
    2. Steve McQueen-H

Thanks for playing everyone. I enjoyed researching this topic and learning stories about the service of these folks. Of course, there are so many more I could have included, but those may have to wait until next year. Promise to find some Canadians next year too!

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and fun, Cynthia. I was lucky to get as many right as I did.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Chilly here, too. We have been turning the furnace off at night, but may have to revisit that decision! We had snow this other night, but it only lasted on cars and roofs.

Whew, Cyn, that will keep me busy! I think I know some....

Nancy.

• auntyara
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the fun!
    Laura

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Well, sorry I wasn't around much - I thought I was doing lots of stuff around and out of the house, but now feel like I got nothing accomplished!! And again, my posts are sneaking back in at odd times.....hrrumph.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun. Nice how you find on topic stars. All those years of reading about famous people paid off. Glad also for the clues and lucky guesses.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Right, Bobbie. I forgot to mention that I enjoyed being a three-star general, if only here. Clever, Cynthia.

TM

Sponsored