Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia ~ Saturday

Good Saturday Morning, Cottagers!! It is clear and cold, with the sun trying to come out - minus 2 celsius, mid-to low-30's to you.

Well, it was a sad day in history, one of those days that everyone remembers where they were, as we lost John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the 35th President of the United States was assassinated this day in 1963. In memorium, here are some trivia questions about his life and legacy.

1. He was the youngest elected president, but not the youngest sitting president. How did that happen?

2.He had another Presidential first, trivia-wise. Any guesses?

3. He held interesting presidential second, exceeded by William Taft. Hmmmmm .......

4. In 1961, he gave a speech, which exceeded a limit - what limit?

5. And finally, after his death, the Canadian Government named our highest unclimbed mountain after his. Who was the first person to climb it?

Interesting guy and these are fun facts. perhaps you already know them? I'll of course be back with clues.

Nancy.

Comments (28)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    9 years ago

Hmmmm I think I know #5 but for the rest I need clues. Our dip into the deep freeze seems to be over for now and it has warmed up a bit, a lot of rain but thankfully too warm for snow.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Hard to believe how little this anniversary means to so many here-doesn't seem as long ago as it was. Sigh. I was in 6th grade.

Anyway, I know #1 because I am a fan of the youngest, too. I need to think about the others though. I thought I knew just about everything about Kennedy, but obviously not! :) Or maybe I know it, but not in terms of firsts, seconds, etc. Putting on my thinking cap. Being totally lazy today, so plenty of time to think.

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I know an answer to 2, but I don't know if it is THE answer. Other than that, I may need a wee hint or two.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, this might be more minutia than trivia, but fun nevertheless!!

#1 had to do with another death. #2 is happenstance of birth. #3 reminds me of a funny thing my Dad used to say about being in a hurry. Say what you will about Kennedy and his short life, he sure squeezed a lot into it.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

I think I know 1 and 4. Will wait for clues on others.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Bobby Kennedy was a hero of mine - he came into his own after the death of his brother, and I was becoming politically aware at that time. John was only 4 years younger than my own father, interestly, but always seemed so youthful. It belied the damage done to his back during the war. Something else I read inferred that Canada was to blame in part for his death. In 1961, Kennedy arrived in Ottawa for a state visit, his first foreign trip following his inauguration. As is the custom, after addressing Parliament, he went to Rideau Hall, the Queen's residence in Canada, for a tree planting ceremony. The youthful President seized the shovel to put a some earth around the oak sapling. In doing so, he re-injured an old back injury, and this required him to wear a back brace again. The theory is that this brace cause him to be unable to duck down and dodge the bullet that hit Texas Governor Connelly. Pure speculation, but a sad idea.
    {{gwi:615762}}Kennedy's Oak Tree.
    The info about the tree is just a ramble on my part, not a clue. I need to not get a swelled head about all this trivia!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I have a guess for #5, too. At least it is the name that always pops into my mind when I think of Jack Kennedy. To me, the two are inseparable and I can picture him being the one to summit the peak first.

Is #2 connected to his service?

Cynthia

• thinman
    9 years ago

I think number 2 is often connected to a type of service and the word for that service also describes a physical property of all matter. Of course, if I am all wrong, this is a useless clue. :-)

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

OK, got #5.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

#2 is merely an accident of birth. And you can hang you hat on that!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I love that tree! I never heard that story-how sad. I did know that the back brace may have been partly to blame for his death. So very very sad. He was 11 months older than my dad.

For #2, I was thinking maybe a medal-first President to have one. Oooh...wait! That just gave it to me I think. Not a medal, but an award? Has to be that. I think I will go curl up with a good book. :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No awards or medals in the answers. He really had very little to do with placing here - #2 is more to do with his parents.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Oh well, I was thinking he was the only one to get a Purple Heart, but maybe there were others. I then decided that it was probably that he was the only US president to receive a Pulitzer Prize (for Profiles in Courage). Back to thinking.

Cynthia

9 years ago

I have a thought for #2 but probably wrong.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sometimes your instincts are the best, Annette.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

okay, I figured out #2 from your clues, I think. So, I have answers for 1,2, and 5.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, #4 might fit into a Republican kinda view of Democrats - I'm not that savvy on American politics. Actually #3 might too, come to think of it, a fast talker and a swelled head. Oh my!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    9 years ago

I was thinking that number 2 had to do with his religion.

TM

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

If TM is right, I know #2. Think I have them all except #3.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Uh oh. Not what I was thinking for #2. Hmmm.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Okay, here are the three I think I know since clues are not forthcoming and I am going to bed-ha.

1. TR was the youngest sitting President after McKinley was assassinated.

2. I am thinking Nancy is looking for 1st president born in the 20th century.

3. ????

4. ????

5. Bobby-1968 was a dreadful year for me

Cynthia

9 years ago

#2 first catholic president?
    #5 Yes Bobby

Annette

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

1. Teddy Roosevelt, remembered reading about this after one of our previous trivia questions.

2. First, and so far only, Catholic president

4. Shortest

5. Bobby Kennedy

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia is correct for #2 - didn't want to go for the lowing hanging fruit on religion, but both are correct.

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, so here are the answers - sorry bout that!!

1. JFK was the youngest elected president at the time - Theodore Roosevelt was younger when he assumed office, after the assassination of McKinley.

2. He was the first person born in the 20th-century to serve as President. or he was the first Catholic president.

3. KennedyâÂÂs hat size was seven and five-eighths, the largest of any President other than William Taft (seven and three-quarters).

4. In a speech made in 1961, Kennedy was recorded as speaking at 327 words per minute, the fastest rate of public speaking in history.

5. After his death, the Canadian Government named Mount Kennedy after him. It was not only CanadaâÂÂs but North America's highest unclimbed mountain. Mount Kennedy is a peak in the Saint Elias Mountains within Kluane National Park, in Yukon, Canada. Its 4250-m to 4300-m (14000-foot) summit lies within 10 km of the Alaska Panhandle. His brother Robert Kennedy with a party of experienced mountaineers sponsored by the National Geographic Society and led by Jim Whittaker conquered it in 1965. Upon reaching the peak of the summit, Kennedy left some of his brother's PT-boat tie clips, a copy of his brother's Inaugural Presidential Address, and a John F. Kennedy medallion.

So there you go - some trivial trivia about what to me is a leading figure in the 20th century.

For everyone:

{{gwi:599464}}

Thanks to all for playing - see you all next week!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Thanks, for the smiling stars, Nancy. Definitely didn't know Kennedy's hat size or record speaking speed. Probably read about both of them at one time but they were not placed in my knowledge bank.

• thinman
    9 years ago

Hey, if the fruit isn't low hanging, I don't get any. :-)

Thanks for the fun questions that I never would have guessed.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Nancy. Never would have gotten the hat size or speaking rate. The hat size is surprising!

Cynthia

Sponsored