Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Brrr. Cold here, especially with the dogs running in and out. They know how to push the door open, but will they close it? Harrumph.

Okay, today's trivia is a desperation grab. I am afraid Saturday has sneaked up on me what with Thanksgiving and all.

So, I know you are all familiar with TED Talks. Who or what is TED? Why is that the title of all the talks?

Cynthia

Comments (25)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Cold here too, Cynthia, although at least we will make it to 30 ðF here today. I know of TED, but not much about it. It looks like an acronym to me, and I would guess the E may stand for education or educating.

Will await clues.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Cold and white here!! Brrrr.......

I have seen a few TED talks, and find them very interesting. I have no clue what it means though....huh. Sometimes I am not curious enough!! Now I need to know!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Hmmm, I haven't the faintest :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh yippee! Here I was afraid that I was the only one who didn't know. I have wondered about it, so this morning, I looked it up online! Voila!

TM, the E is for something else, although I thought the same as you.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Perhaps the E is for electronic?

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I should know this as had it explained to me my by relatives who have given TED talks. But, need to think about it to shake the memory loose.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, you are closer to the T than the E.

Well, I am glad you are all at least slightly amused by this. That was the plan.

We are having friends in for leftovers tonight. It has become a tradition, which is not the T word!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Is the "T" for turkey? ;-))

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

T is for ... Telecommunications? Television?
    E is for ... Enlightening? Essential?
    D is for ... Delivery? Distribution?

Trying to think.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM, for T, think more broadly - your ideas actually are examples.

E. More like show biz or what I am doing tonight?

D. I think of some items at MOMA when I hear this word.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

T - tedious
    E - examples of
    D - dynamism (is that a word?)

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Logically I want to say
    Technological Education Demonstration
    but I seem to remember that those were not just right.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

From Cynthia's clue it might be entertaining.
    D maybe dynamics?

I remember when I heard the words they weren't what I expected.

I've been working outside all afternoon. Temps in the high 30s and no wind so it was comfortable until dark when I got a bit chilled. Potted up tulip and muscari bulbs and found some ground that wasn't frozen under piles of leaves and grass clippings so the pots could be sunk in the ground until spring when I will lift them and use them on my deck. Did other odds and ends of cutting back and cleaning up.

Plan for tomorrow is to cut back clematis along the neighbor's fence and maybe some more grasses. Almost done. Still have some leaves to get from another neighbor to spread on the frozen gardens and once more around our yard with the mulching mower before temps drop midweek and next weekend snow arrives.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 18:30

• thinman
    10 years ago

I like E for entertaining too, Bobbie, and I like your suggestion of T for technological, too.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, so are we going with Technology and Entertainment? Answer, yes, please. ;)

Now we are left with D. Hmm...whom to ask? Coco Chanel? Frederick Law Olmstead? Ray and Charles Eames?

Cynthia, who ended up not entertaining tonight after all. Lovely quiet evening.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Yes for Technology and Entertainment.

Your clue for D gives me Design.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

So confused!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

I think Bobbie nailed it.

TM

10 years ago

I thought I had answered 'E' for entertainment, must not have hit the send button but that's all I could come up with. I think you're right TM, Bobbie has nailed this one.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for Bobbie, TM, and Annette! Yes, TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design. Here is a blurb from Wikipedia:

TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) is a global set of conferences owned by the private non-profit Sapling Foundation, under the slogan "ideas worth spreading".
    TED was founded in 1984 as a one-off event. The annual conference began in 1990, in Monterey, California. TED's early emphasis was technology and design, consistent with its origins in the Silicon Valley.
    The TED main conference is held annually in Long Beach, and its companion TEDActive is held in Palm Springs. Both conferences will move from Long Beach and Palm Springs to Vancouver and Whistler, respectively, in 2014. TED events are also held throughout the U.S. and in Europe and Asia, offering live streaming of the talks. They address a wide range of topics within the research and practice of science and culture, often through storytelling. The speakers are given a maximum of 18 minutes to present their ideas in the most innovative and engaging ways they can. Past presenters include Bill Clinton, Jane Goodall, Malcolm Gladwell, Al Gore, Gordon Brown, Richard Dawkins, Bill Gates, Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin, and many Nobel Prize winners. TED's current curator is the British former computer journalist and magazine publisher Chris Anderson.
    Since June 2006, the talks have been offered for free viewing online, under Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs Creative Commons license, through TED.com. As of May 2013, over 1,500 talks are available free online. By January 2009 they had been viewed 50 million times. In June 2011, the viewing figure stood at more than 500 million, and on Tuesday November 13, 2012, TED Talks had been watched one billion times worldwide, reflecting a still growing global audience.

I have listened to several of these talks and always found them interesting. Pretty cool concept, I think. I am linking to one talk that is way beyond my feeble brain to understand on a deep level, but it fascinates me nonetheless.

Have a good day. Leaving TED behind to focus on Christmas music with Nancy! :)

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: TED talk

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Well, I just could not make sense of the clues - lol. Sometimes I am just obtuse.

Nancy.

10 years ago

Thanks for the stars Cyn but I really don't deserve them all as I only came up with one of the answers, entertainment.

Annette

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thank you, Cynthia, for the weekend fun and the TED link. I enjoyed it thoroughly. It almost makes me wish I were teaching again so I could use the video with my students and blow their minds, in at least a small way.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM, I was thinking you might like that one! Glad it "almost" made you wish you were teaching again! ;)

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the link, Cynthia. Listened to the brief timeline one and am working my way through ten others listed as an intro to TED talks. Finished one and then raked the lawn and wrapped the deck with cedar roping. Got new glasses today and am thinking that listening is the best activity for me tonight.

Sponsored