Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, happy Sunday morning, everyone!! It is a grey rainy morning here. I got up early with the cats, to feed them, then fell soundly back to sleep! Well, thank goodness I keep a file, as nothing lept out at me this week, so.....

How many times does the word 'United' appear on the US $5 bill?

For some reason, the image is not loading onto this page. What's up with Photobucket? I've added a link below. Sorry to Annette and Ginny, but hopefully the link helps.....and maybe you, like me, keep a stash for those impromptu cross-border trips......

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:616277}}

Comments (19)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Is there a trick to this? Must be. I have my guess, but will wait for greater minds to weigh in on it before I commit. :)

Glad you had the opportunity to be a little lazy this morning, Nancy!

Cynthia, who wonders if she needs a magnifying glass...

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Not having an american fiver at the moment and thinking there might be more than the three obvious ones I'll guess 5 being it's a five dollar bill :), maybe they show up if you hold the bill up to the light?

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

Having absolutely no idea without looking, I'm going to guess that it shows up exactly once.

Now I'll go look.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol. Sorry Annette. I was desperate! Yes Cyn - you will need a magnifying glass. This is one of those things I found ages back, searching through trivia sites. The number, while odd, makes no rhyme or reason! They are not watermarked, and are visible to the naked eye. OK, maybe not my naked eye, if you know what I mean! 8-)).

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I do not know either but will say one also. I know there are USA on the bill.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I clicked on the link and see there are at least two. While the $5 bill has been redesigned I don't think any of the wording has changed. Must be some hiding in the small print. I expect that a counterfeit bill could pass through my hands easily. Who actually pays any attention or even looks for the watermarks?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Well, I was going to say four, but was your use of the word 'odd' a hint that it is an odd number? Since you posted a pic, I looked at a bill. Was that cheating? If so, I have to say I would have just made a guess.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

I should have worded it differently, 5 altogether this includes the 3 visible to my eyes LOL.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're only cheating if you google it - looking is allowed, and that is why I posted the pic, but I'm now not sure this will help. It is definitely an 'anti-counterfeiting' measure, but not watermarking, as so many currencies do. Ours included. Here too, we have added a plastic band to our $20's which 'read' in a scanner, as we apparently have many counterfeits. I actually had an older $20 refused as it did not 'read' as good. lol. I took it to the bank to be sure.

There are many more than you are guessing - sort of like old Frank Sinatra movies - always surprised at the number!!

Nancy.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

No idea on this one Nancy! I haven't seen an American bill of any demonination for many years. I rarely keep any cash on hand as I use Interact so I don't even know what Canadian money looks like anymore! I was out shopping yesterday and was behind a woman who had a hundred dollar bill in the new "plastic". It was very interesting and had so many distinctive "holographs" on it I couldn't have counted them so I am guessing it would be the same story for American money. Would have to look at one real close to even guess. You're closer to the border than I am Nancy. This one is for you guys south of me who have saved much moola shopping on black friday! Lol!

Ginny

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Okay, higher, huh? I'll go with 27-no reason. Just one of those numbers I like-weird, I know. Can't wait to find out the answer!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Or an old Brad Pitt movie.....

12 years ago

Ok Nancy. There was 21 Jump Strret, Ocean's 11,12 nad 13, 30 Something, Two-Fisted Tales,Se7en, (and 7 Years in Tibet,and Sinbad of the 7 Seas), and 12 Monkeys! But you say it is an odd number so that narrows it down to 6 shows....Curiouser and curiouser..........

Ginny

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

;-))

Nancy.

12 years ago

Oooops! Only 4. So lets go with 21.........I have no idea.....;)

Ginny

• lorna-organic
    12 years ago

You made me work, Nancy! My magnifying mirror is 4X, whilst my magnifier is only 3X. I used the mirror, which of course made everything backwards. I believe I found five "united" on my five dollar bill. In that green seal to the right of Abraham Lincoln's portrait, I could not actually make out the word united but I could see the word states, so united must be there as well.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, wow - I did not think I'd skunk our Southern cousins with this one!! I knew that Annette and Ginny were working at a disadvantage - maybe my clues weren't good enough?? The one numeric movie name that Frank Sinatra and Brad Pit have in common is "Ocean's Eleven". The word 'United' appears not three but 11 times on the $5 bill. Look closely at the frame around the picture of Lincoln -- the outer edge of the frame, when examined under a magnifying glass, reveals the words "The United States of America" repeated four times on each side of the frame, for a total of eight. Plus the large size 3 equals 11.

Magnifying Glass:
    Legitimate bills have microprinting in them. Microprinting is tiny text that typically appears as a line, but under a magnifying glass can be seen and deciphered. Microprinting is extremely difficult to duplicate. Most counterfeit bills will not contain any microprinting. Microprinting can be found in different areas, depending on the denomination.

This is an example of microprinting:
    {{gwi:616281}}

So there you go - more than you knew about your money. I've always found paper currency to be quite beautifully designed. All those swirls and lines - I know that they're there for a purpose, but they are still quite lovely.
    Well, I didn't think this was a terrific question, and certainly thought you'd catch me out. Oh well, there's always next week. Thanks for playing.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

HA! I love that! Didn't pick up on the Sinatra-Pitt connection. VERY clever and now that I know it, I am slapping my forehead. I think I have heard that before, but sure couldn't remember it. Now, I'll never forget.

Great question Nancy. Thanks for the fun. Now off to see if I can find ALL eleven. Have a wonderful week all.

Cynthia

12 years ago

Haha! I was on a track, but only one rail! When you said many more I thought you meant like "many" more. Had no idea with Sinatra. Good question! Where ever did you find that one?

Thanks Nancy! Till next week......

Ginny