Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia -- Sunday

Well, this is embarrassing!! I had an extra hour to sleep, and I'm still late!! I blame it on the red wine - I do not like this feeling!! Anyway, Good morning!!

I read a great book this week - another to recommend to you all. It is called "Ghost Rider, Travels on the Healing Road". It was written by Neil Peart, drummer in one of my favourite bands, Rush. Job had nothing on this guy. In 1998, his 19-year-old daughter died on her way back to university in a single car accident. He and his wife were ripped to their very cores, and went to London, to try to deal with there grief. While there, she is diagnosed with cancer, and within a year is also dead. He retreats to his lake home in Quebec, and contemplates what will come next....as he frankly admits in the book, he could have easily 'disappeared' into a bottle, or a bag of white powder. Instead, he sets out on a monumental journey, across Canada and America, up to Alaska, the Arctic Circle then down to California, Mexico and Belize - and back. He did this, he explains, to protect this 'guttering candle', this tiny 'baby soul' he is discovering. He has a great eye for detail and through letters to friends and journal entries, he takes the reader along to see the back roads of this continent, it's flora and fauna. Wow, I read it in 3 days, unable to put it down, but savouring every word!!

So, on to today's question: there are 4 'true' deserts in North America. I'll make it easier, and say they are all in the US, even if trans-border. Where are they, and what are they called?? Easy, hard?? I've no idea, but I had to honour this tremendous book, and share it with you all. I'll be back with clues!!

Nancy.

Comments (21)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I know two, but will need to ask Chuck when he gets home!

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

I have actually trod around in one of them looking at the flora, hoping I wouldn't run into a rattlsnake, this was after we had just visited the museum and saw a bunch of them, contained of course, ugh don't like snakes. On the other hand the Cheetah was beautiful and the bottle of honey made from bees visiting a particular cactus was delicious. I know the names of two others, but am struggling with the name of the 4th. I know it's in there somewhere it just has to surface LOL.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Hard, I don't remember being taught about America's deserts as a kid and was surprised the first time I saw the sand and cacti of the S. desert. Saw three deserts on that trip and am not sure of the fourth.

Before that trip deserts were exotic places in foreign countries in my mind--camels and sand dunes.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Desert is defined as areas of the continent which receive less than 10 in (250 mm) annual precipitation.

{{gwi:616319}}
    This is a photograph by Ansel Adams, and the first one I thought about....it is the second largest and goes across the Mexican border.

{{gwi:616322}}
    This is the largest, and perhaps the toughest to guess, or know. It also is in the southwestern US. In the book, Peart described the freaky experience of the feeling he was riding on his motorcycle on a snowy Quebec road.

{{gwi:616324}}
    This is part another described as the 2nd largest - a little confusing, these titles.

{{gwi:616326}}
    This one is the hottest, and possibly the 'brightest'!! lol.

Any help??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I also remember that one is not what one usually thinks of when we think of deserts. Can't remember the name. Chuck is out walking the dogs! I will ask him when he gets home.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Chuck knew the one I couldn't get that is further north than the other two I know. So between us we have three of the four. Need clues for the last one.

Cyntha

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

The mountainous area is due to rain/snow falling on mainly one side of the mountain range leaving the other side, west, I think, arid. That would explain the sage brush and desert area in eastern CA and in Nevada.
    This is a great question.

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

The fourth one that I can't remember the name starts with a c, maybe a ch.

11 years ago

M, think very tiny dog, I'm having trouble with the spelling of that one myself LOL.

Here's my 4 they start with an "M" a "G" a "C" and a "S"

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

{{gwi:616328}}
    This is an ocotillo plant. It grows in most deserts so is not exclusive to any one, as the Saguaro or the Joshua Trees do. It looks like this much of the year, then in the rainy season becomes green and lush-looking. this is the same desert as the snow-like picture above. This desert has the highest elevation, and plants must be quite dogged to survive. Any help??

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Excellent, Annette!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Okay, now I have them all! Thanks Annette! Little dog gave it to me.

Oh and a side note that has nothing to do with trivia-we have a small opossum that appears to have taken up residence where the dratted chipmunks were. No wonder the hole suddenly got much bigger right outside the front door. Now what? He is actually a cute little thing, but I certainly don't want him living right here under the front walk!

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

I got only the M one and the S one by myself. Is the high desert region in Arizona part of the S desert?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope, TM. The high desert is actually next door to S. me thinks,

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Don't read this if you are still trying to figure out the answers! I am heading to bed to do the Sunday crossword puzzle-it is a school night, after all.

So my answers are: Mojave and Sonoran which I knew on my own, Great Basin which Chuck gave me, and Chihuahan which Annette gave us. Hope spelling doesn't count on that last one.

Sweet dreams all.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

I have been to/in all four, Mojave, Sonoran, and Great Basin and the Chihauhuan Desert. Thanks for the dog clue, Annette.

11 years ago

Same ones for me, the only one I've visited is the Sonoran back in the 70's, the month december, oh how I would have loved to have gone back in April when the desert is in bloom.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, these deserts fascinate me!! My AZ cousin lives in the Sonoran, and visits out often. When I toured there for business, I went to a 'dude ranch', Tanque Verde, and went for an early morning horse ride through the desert, to have breakfast - awesome, in every sense of that word!! The Mohave of course contains Las Vegas, and I called the 'kitty litter' desert when I first saw it, quite unimpressed! More exploration needed. I had never heard of the other 2. The Chihuahuan is quite impressive - the White Sands National Park has the white dunes made of gypsum crystals!! Wow - so beautiful!! The largest is the Great Basin, and from what I can see, the most diverse.

So there you go!! That was fun.
    For Bobbie, Annette and Cyn:

I wasn't sure if it was common knowledge south of 49....Annette, you amaze me every time!! lol.

I do highly recommend that book - it will give you wanderlust, and a new-found faith in the strength of humanity. When he set out riding, his best friend was supposed to be riding with him, but was jailed in Buffalo, for trying to 'import' herbal remedies, ahem. His dog, who had gone to stay with his parents, had to be euthanized because of a tumour. In Belize, he stayed at a little inn which was infested with bed-bugs!!! Like, holy cow!! A great travelogue, and uplifting, though it may not sound it.
    {{gwi:616329}}

Thanks for playing, have a great week.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I think I should lose at least one star for my lousy spelling.

My cousin lives in the Sonoran Desert, too! He is in Tucson.

Thanks for the fun, Nancy.
    Cynthia

11 years ago

Ahhhh, Nancy I guess I've never told you about another one of my addictions, yep, cactus and succulents :). I have to admit mostly succulents but I do have a couple of cactus. Not the best but a picture of mine tucked away in the greenhouse for the winter. Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Interesting question and inspiring story about Neil Peart overcoming the tragedies in his life. I will be looking for his book. I realize that we have been to some of the deserts several times. Seems we vacation more to the west and southwest. Several family members those directions while only one family out east and nobody in the southeast. I've been to the NYC/NJ area three times and driven back to MN twice. Also driven from NC to NY.
    Spent a week in Florida for spring training and another trip there for business. I think we have been to all the states but Alaska and Hawaii.
    Have also visited Canada several time but not to the east. Hopefully we can take some trips out east this next year.

Annette, your plants look very happy in the greenhouse. Nice variation of colors.

Stayed up to see election results. President Obama reelected and a few important races and issues in MN still too close to call.

Sponsored