Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

It's jelly making day at my house

Every time I opened the fridge door I'd spot the quince and cranberries sitting there waiting patiently for me to get my act together LOL. I got the recipe out for the Paradise Jelly we really like. Springing into action, if you can call it that at my age, also the fact there was only one jar left helped motivate me.

We really like this jelly with chicken which we seem to eat more than other meats.

Reading through the recipe I realized I hadn't bought any apples, DH went shopping for me and came home with a decent size bag of spartan apples that were on sale. He done good!!! Here's the recipe for anyone that's interested.

Paradise Jelly

3 cups of chopped quinces (wash the fuzz off and remove seeds)

2 cups of chopped apples

2 cups of cranberries

Add enough water that you can see it through the fruit.

(You also need pectin crystals, 1/4 cup of lemon juice and 5 1/2 cups of sugar)

Boil the first 4 together for 15 minutes, you need 5 cups of juice, when dripped/strained.

Add one package pectin crystals to dripped/strained juice. Bring to a boil. Add the 5 1/2 cups of sugar (it helps if the sugar has been heated to 200 deg. in the oven, so that you add hot sugar) and the 1/4 cup of lemon juice. Boil hard one minute. Bottle and seal with parawax. Another thing I do is embed a piece of string in the wax after pouring it over the jelly before the wax hardens, one tug and the wax pops out when you want to open the jelly.

Now it's on to making my freezer raspberry jelly-jam, I've also been putting off doing.

Annette

Comments (13)

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Sounds delish! How about I just send you a check for some. ; )

Diana

• FlowerLady6
    16 years ago

Annette ~ You are an inspiration. Both jellies sound delicious. I've never made jelly, or canned anything either. It's not something that is done down here. What is your recipe for the freezer raspberry jelly-jam?

FlowerLady

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Morning Flower, It's really just plain old freezer jam, the recipe is in most packages of pectin, the only difference with mine is I put the fruit through a cone like thingy using a wooden pestle, can't remember what the darn thing is called, to remove most of the seeds. Freezer jam is so easy, just put the prepared fruit in a bowl, add lemon juice if needed, add the amount of sugar called for, let stand for 10 minutes stirring a few times to help the sugar dissolve. Combine 3/4 cup of water with the pectin powder (I use Certo) in a small saucepan, bring to a boil, boil 1 minute stirring constantly. Stir into the fruit and sugar. Continue stirring for 3 minutes. Put in clean containers,filling up to 1/4 inch from rim. I use my small recycled margarine containers. Cover with lids. Leave at room temperature 24 hours or till set. Then it's just a matter of putting them in the freezer. When you want to use one just keep it in the fridge. I like to use small containers because there's just the two of us. Nothing like the taste of fresh fruit all year long. I do all my berry jams this way with the exception of Strawberry, these I mash, leaving a few small chunks. One thing, you can't double the recipe when making this. It won't set.

Annette

• User
    16 years ago

OK so you'll bring the jelly to go on the bread to go with the chowda ...that we'll all eat at Diana's house...have I got it ?? c

• solana
    16 years ago

Sounds yummy. I used to make lots of canned jams & jellies when had the consumers; loved the jewel tones decorating the pantry. Apple-quince-hot pepper jelly, later combined with cream cheese for a cracker spread, makes a good hors d'oeuvre. A full freezer feels nice too.

Donning my 23 years selling kitchen gizmos hat: That strainer/pestle thing is called a Chinoise. Good for ricing a quantity of potatoes or removing strings from cooked squash/pumpkin, too. Easy to clean. Fiddlier, but with a variety of screen sizes, is a Victorio-type strainer: I remove raspberry seeds to make vinegar, also chocolate truffles.

Happy menus to all!

Ana

Original Author
    16 years ago

C. sounds like a plan to me :o).

Ana, are you talking 3 separate jellies or do you have a recipe for a combination of the 3, HINT, HINT, HINT. That combination sounds really yummy. I still have some Quince left :o).

Annette

• solana
    16 years ago

I haven't followed many of these recipe threads, inquiring minds want to know: What kind of chowdah can we hope C will bring?

HINT noted, thus I'm not hijacking, much ;-)

I'm talking a single combo jelly to be used as a condiment. Annette, You & I may well be the only 2 on this thread who have access to quince (I grow 'cuz it's a lovely shrub with forceable branches in late spring), the fruit has a high pectin content, so gels readily, but we will admit it's inedible on its own, too sour? Tart apples are also good.

--Pepper Jelly--

Take your Paradise Jelly recipe & method, omit cranberries, add 2+ Tbsp minced jalapenos. (That's mild, I go 4 Tablespoons, a confessed hot-a-holic) Needless to say, but I will: wash hands thoroughly with soap after handling hot peppers, before rubbing eyes. Reduce sugar to 2-1/2 -3 cups (to taste, it's a savory). Some folks add 2 drops of green or red food coloring right before bottling, but I'm a purist. Expect only 4 cups; I do in 4 oz. jars.

Good as a chicken baste. For cracker spread maybe 1 part jelly to 2 parts cream cheese.

Variation: forget peppers, use lots of mint instead. Good on lamb.

You've found me out: I'm a seat-of-the-pants cook when it comes to exact recipes except baking. I season to taste, keeping in mind that both sweet and hot flavors are more pronounced when made than when served cooler.

Great tip about the string in paraffin, Annette: I now use the self-sealing lids, but used to wash the wax and reuse.

Ana

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ana, I'll pick up some Jalapenos tomorrow, we like it zippy so will put 4 in. I've been getting my Quince from a friend, I wish I had my own tree but it's too late in the game for that now. As far as hijacking goes go right ahead, anyone else? got a good recipe? jump on in.
    Told my daughter about the good buy on the apples, last night there was a knock at the door and in she came with another bag of apples. It looks like I'll be baking pies for both of us tomorrow. I've been on a roll making jams and jelly, still got a bag of frozen blueberries to deal with and then it's clean up time in the kitchen, it looks like a war zone. Later.....A.

• User
    16 years ago

sorry for the confusion Solana...I was making a fun rhyme ..you know this is the house that Jack built ?? Anyway it is Mora from on another thread who offered the chowder when we were all marveling at Diana's garden...anyway. We do need to have a garden get togther....food and flowers....c

Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Ana, I now have 16 jars of Quince-Apple-Hot Pepper Jelly now sitting in the kitchen just waiting for lids, because of the red apples I had (from the sale) the jelly turned out a lovely pale peachy color, and I have to say it's absolutely delicious. Wait till my SIL has a taste, I'm going to have to hide it :o). I'm just about finished, just have to make some sundae topping from yet another bag of raspberries I found in the freezer then I'm done, done, done.

Annette

• solana
    16 years ago

C: Mora's chowder, eh? I have a guess as to Nova Scotia ingredients, yum ;-)

Annette, my experience: it's never "done, done, done". Not even the dishes, LOL. You have extra raspberries, might want to try

--Raspberry Vinegar--

Steep 2 qts. mashed raspberries in
    1 qt. cider vinegar
    for 2 days, strain.
    Use that liquid to cover another
    2 qts. mashed raspberries
    for 2 more days.
    Strain, measure liquid.
    Bring to boil with a tad less amount of sugar (1 cup juice wants scant 3/4 c. sugar) Simmer 10 minutes. Store in sterile bottles.

This recipe has the advantage that proportions are simple, easy to adapt to quantity on hand. Also, so much acid, sugar, it's safe without 'official' canning, and lovely in a fancy gift bottle. (I add a tag: "return for refill". All local bottles have been recycled ;-)

Uses: splash in fruit salad for zing
    Fish or poultry marinade
    Odd/best? 3 Tbsp in a tall glass, filled with fizzy water (seltzer) is really refreshing, great for a break from yard-work.

-------------
    Am so happy you liked pepper jelly. Paula Reds are a favorite apple for pretty pink, but they're early, done here.

Ana

Original Author
    16 years ago

Ana, I will definitely keep your recipe for raspberry vinegar, we put in a new raspberry bed 2 years ago so next year it will probably yield more than I can use. So I will have a go at making some vinegar before I tell the neighbors to come and help themselves. I only have a small raspberry bed but I don't cut the canes back, I braid them horizontally alone wires so get a big yield from a small space. Thanks again for the recipe.

• cziga
    16 years ago

I'm envious - i've been wanting to make some jam for actually a couple years now. I thought it would be a lovely gift. 3-4 small jars of different jams: Wine Jelly, Christmas Citrus Marmalade, Cranberry marmalade, and Sambuca Romana Jam.

Sadly enough, I've never gotten in gear early enough to make it happen and this year doesn't quite look like the time. We're so busy here. But I've always wanted to. Making jam makes the entire house smell wonderful and gets you in the holiday spirit :)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations