Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

I love this dining/kitchen style

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I absolutely love this picture. It's exactly what I want to do, when/if I remodel my farmhouse and open up the kitchen to the dining area.

{{gwi:617005}}

This kitchen would go well with it, too, but just a nice work table, no cloth.

{{gwi:617006}}

What is your style?

Comments (8)

• thinman
    13 years ago

It looks very nice to me, and not just because it is close in color to our own kitchen. Pretty amazing trim work, with that huge crown molding and all. I'm wondering why there are table and chairs smack in the middle of the kitchen, or is that some kind of effect of camera angle?

I think DW would be very happy with that kitchen. Too bad she had to settle for what I could do. :-)

ThinMan

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

There is just me at my place, I'd get lost in a kitchen that big. I have a galley kitchen that I wouldn't mind extending if I had the space, time, and money. One thing I do love about that kitchen is the color. As soon as I finish with the master bathroom I do plan on painting the kitchen harvest gold with cream cabinets and tuscan colored tiles on the floor. The back splash I plan to do in hand made wooden "tiles" that have wood burned maple leave design that is then stained in the golden oak, rusty orange, and red wood stains to match my curtains.

• Annie
    13 years ago

Oh, I would die and go to heaven over a kitchen like that big one.
    I love the French Provincial one above too. My cup of tea.

I have blue in my kitchen too. Calming and cooling.
    I bought new tiles to lay down in the kitchen. (Cream with blue designs. I added F. P. knobs last summer. _ creamy white with blue delft design flowers. Now that Summer gardening is past, I may be able to get the tiles laid down. One of these days I'll get it all finished...and then DH will be ready to rip it all out and enlarge my kitchen. (typical) :)

But oh,, to have a big roomy kitchen like that.

Thanks for sharing.

~Annie

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thinman- I'm sure your wife loves your kitchen :)

TK- My kitchen work area will really not be very big, it's just open to the dining area and a small seating area.

Annie- Your new tiles and knobs sound beautiful. Don't forget to post pictures, when you get everything installed.

Here's a few more pictures...and a very rough plan for my kitchen. I should really invest in some floor plan software.

This is a beautiful kitchen, but I think I'll pass on the fireplace, in the middle of the cabinetry.

{{gwi:617007}}

I love this dining room, even though it's a print/painting, it's very similar to my plan.

{{gwi:617008}}

These would just be perfect, in a french kitchen.

{{gwi:617010}}

I was originally thinking of a big work table, rather than an island, but now that I have the dining table, I could probably use some storage. I still want to be able to sit down...and move the table/island out of the way, if I need more space...so I found this. Something similar, in blue maybe, with a nice wooden top...or maybe stone, what do you think?

{{gwi:617012}}

Here's the floor plan :)

{{gwi:617014}}

I was going to put the laundry/pantry on the side porch, but there wasn't enough sunlight and the table was too cramped...so I moved the dining table onto the enclosed porch (plan is to open it up with a big arch) and put the laundry/pantry on the back.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I'm going to be so jealous when your dining room and kitchen are finished. I hope to start my kitchen remodel in the Spring, but I don't have nearly the space you do.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't have the space, yet, either :)

This would be a big remodel, since I'm planning to take out the wall between the kitchen and dining room (non-load bearing) and open up the load bearing wall to the porch.

Lots more money, than I have at the moment, but I wanted a plan, so I can start figuring out how much it's going to cost. It's not a big farmhouse, so this is going to be about half of the first floor...but I'd rather have a big kitchen, than a formal dining room. Plus, the living room is where we live, so I don't need a separate family room.

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

When you get the estimate, just figure on it being double that afterward. That's what usually happens to me. Plus I drive my contractor friend crazy by changing my mind throughout or calling attention to every little detail. Men just think differently than women when it comes to this kind of stuff.

• Annie
    13 years ago

My kitchen is way too small and terribly lacking in storage of any kind. The owners before us did not cook or bake. They did leave the old kitchen wood stove in place. I love it, but the space is so cramped. If I bend over to check things in the oven, no one can get by me (attesting to the size of my bottom as well as the dimensions of the kitchen, I suppose) :)

The kitchen is the center of all activity in my family. EVERYONE wants to be in there to visit. I love it but geez ! If someone wants to move, everyone has to shuffle, like a Chinese puzzle box. (hahaha) I wish I was kidding.

For family gatherings, it is the hub of happiness and congestion.

I want to double the size of my kitchen and open up or take out the wall between the kitchen and the dining area.
    This old house is brick and plaster - not brick veneer. The inside wall is the outside wall, with plaster over it. Very sturdy.

In order to bump out my kitchen, it would take a major overhaul of construction, I'm afraid. Still, I made a rough draft blueprint of how I want it. It is doable.

The new outside wall would be wood frame, but the used brick would be on the wall where my stop top and wall oven will go and be the back-splash behind the sink.
    It would also add 7 more feet to the dining room area. The entire north wall in there would be windows, with French doors leading out to the new deck on the west side. I love that view in the winter and would be a lovely shaded area in the summer. The deck would connect to the existing front porch (on the west side) and wrap around to the back patio (on the east side), with steps leading down to it.

The kitchen would get a laundry area with lots of storage and a sure enough pantry with sliding shelves for easy access.

The sink would be moved to the east side with the stove and ovens on the north wall. A mudroom entry is on the west wall by the wall ovens. The room has windows and a window seat for the cats. An access-way to the dining room from there and a door leading out onto the deck.

The wall between the dinging room and the kitchen would be a large floor to ceiling island of shelves and cabinets with a place for my computer, with the alcove doorway between the two rooms.

The old wood stove would stay where it is. It is a dandy and can heat this whole house. And you have never tasted roasted turkey or baked bread until your taste it from an old wood stove. (comes in handy with power outages and in case of doomsday emergency- well....you never know!)

The deck would be in white frame and Federal blue floor boards, lattice skirting beneath and traditional cottage railings. It would zigzag around the existing Weeping Willow tree.

See? I have it all thought out, including electrical outlets, plumbing changes, and etc.

Oh...to dream.

~Annie

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH