Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Happy Friday everyone! Yes, I am posting early. I think school germs have finally caught me. Actually, it was probably sitting in a meeting next to a fellow teacher who was coughing and blowing all Wednesday morning. I am anticipating a slow start in the morning. May stay under the down
comforter for a few extra minutes tomorrow and certainly don't want to keep you waiting!

So, I have always loved traveling by train. Best trip ever was taking the train from Chicago to Banff to Vancouver. There are few experiences as wonderful. Anyway...The longest stretch of straight track in the world is approximately 300 miles long (478 km). Any ideas where that might be located?

Cynthia

I will be back at some point in the morning with clues.

Comments (22)

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Hope you are feeling better in the morning, Cynthia.

I have taken the train several times in the U.S. and abroad, had some good rides and some bad experiences as well. Straight track, hmm, will need some clues.

Expecting rain tomorrow. Got most of fall gardening work finished today.

Electric company is burying lines this next week. Looks like they will cut through two flower beds so may have to do some transplanting. Temps next week are to be above normal from midweek through Sunday. May decide to move a few plants before they come. No idea how wide the digging will be. Will walk over to the next block to see how things are going.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good morning Bobbie! I wish the electric company would bury our lines! We are at the old (1960-haha) end of our street. The newer development end of the neighborhood has underground wires, but they didn't redo ours at the same time. I think it is much nicer when we aren't looking at the poles and wires!

I do seem to have picked up something. Lots of coughing. Went to bed at 9:20 and slept for ten hours! Lots of Dreamtime. Waiting for the billy to boil for my tea. We'll see if that helps. Could be worse though, so not complaining, mind you!
    Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that you are under the weather, Cynthia. I hope it is short-lived. Your sick colleague should have stayed home!

As we waltz around the answer to today's trivia, I am wondering if you are hoping for just the name of the country, or something more narrowed down.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

lol. I was thinking about looking last night, but didn't for some reason!! Sorry to hear the bug caught up with you - no fun at all!

Old travel agent here - I believe camels are a hazard on this run, oddly enough. I had clients take this train and they declared it one of the most boring things they ever did. Actually, they didn't have kind words for the country, either. They kinda jumped around when I tried to tie them down as to why.....

Nancy - who has a gorgeous day here - perhaps the last chance get laundry on (and off) the line!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just looking for the country, TM. I will see if I can come up with clues for the specifics. :)

The ~300 mile straight stretch is part of a much longer line that is slightly over 1,000 miles long. Steam trains using the line had to carry their own waterto keep themselves going.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

I believe the late Slim Dusty was from this country.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I am thinking of two areas and need more clues to narrow it down. Unfortunately I don't know of Slim Dusty.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Good Morning all.
    Saw this on youtube awhile back, the scenery, hmmmmmm, what can I say, what scenery????? I wonder if they ever got the rabbits under control down there.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

heehee, I don't know Slim Dusty either, but this area is probably very dusty! I would imagine this train ride would be pretty boring as well, but no camels that I know if are hopping around here.

Bobbie, try reading through again for clues-some are subtle and some are not and some are just plain stupid, but that is how my brain was last night!

I just read a review of Elton John's concert jhere last night. He deicated it to all the men, women, and animals who died in the two World Wars. I was also reading about WWI. Some brave lads died in some famous spots very far from home. Of course, that is true of most wars, isn't it?

I was also reading about the domestication of wolves back in the prehistoric times. Seems all canines (dogs, dingoes, wild dogs, etc) are descended from those first ones who became companions to people. What would we do without our wonderful pets?

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annette, we were posting at the same time...and thinking alike!

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Cyn, sending you a hug, hope you're feeling better soon.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I think I have it now. My siter and brother-in law spent a year there while he was project manager building a power plant. He brought back a coin purse made from one of those hopping animals reproductive parts. For visa reasons they had to leave the country for a few days and visited the land of the hobbits.

I may have read the same article about canines this morning.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Annette, thanks. Not feeling awful, just scratchy throat and cough oh and sniffles, too. I may crawl back down under the comforter in a bit. The day has not gotten nicer as it was supposed to do. Dreary and chill. I can't believe it is only 2:26 here! I feel as though it should be close to evening already.

Bobbie, :) Did TM's clue help you?

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Nope, got it from your last posting and then checked over your previous postings and the clues became obvious.

Off to do some shopping. It is dark and dreary with scattered showers so no outside work today.

Chicken soup is my suggestion. If nothing else the steam will help as well as the hydration. And rest. I just got up from a nap, lovely to snuggle under my down comforter.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

And a nice hot Neo-Citran before bed - works like a charm and knocks me out. After a good sleep I usually feel better!

It is a wonderful day here today. Sunny all day, bit of a wind - laundry dried like a charm. Even my jeans are almost dry! It's about 13C - sorry, don't have my decoder ring handy, but tomorrow will be cool and rainy, so the cats, even the pup and I are enjoying the outside!!

The train, I believe, is named, slangily, for where the camels came from. Sorry about the dangle, my brain is mush to fix it!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Here's a video of Slim Dusty, if you have a couple of minutes to spare. I had not heard of him, but ran across him while I was poking around YouTube one day.

This is a bit of a spoiler, but I think we are all pretty much there now anyway.

TM

Here is a link that might be useful: Slim Dusty

This post was edited by thinman on Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 15:51

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM! That is my new favorite version of Waltzin' Matilda! Slim Dusty is a charmer, too! Love that smile at the end!

So, for TM, Annette, Bobbie, and Nancy, four stars (with one or two extra thrown in). :)

Yes, the train is the Trans-Australia Express. It went from the gold mining region of Kalgoorlie to Port Augusta. Details in link.

Thanks for playing. Hope it was fun.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Rail line

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Btw, the picture is the Southern Cross, naturally. ;)

Hmm, not showing. You may need to cluck on the square. Wonder why that happens sometimes. I will try again to see if it shows up automatically this time.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

The Southern Cross is one thing on my Bucket list I hope I don't have to forgo....Thanks for those beautiful stars. It doesn't explain, but the Ghan is for Afghanistan, where the camels came from! Fun Cyn.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the interesting question and stars and for everybody's clues to lead me to the answer. I think Annette's clue nudged me and the others took me the rest of the way.

Both postings showed the starry sky for me.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought it was interesting because there are few places one can travel in a perfectly straight line for such a distance. You are all such fun to play with on the weekends! Personally, I prefer hills or mountains and water, whether it be rivers, lakes or the sea, is a must! That train ride holds no interest for me!

Oh, and I can still see only one of the star pictures! :(. Well, it is okay since they are the same, but still...

See you all tomorrow.
    Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Wow, the Southern Cross! Very cool and also one of my favorite songs, from C,S, & N.

Thanks for the awesome stars and the fun trivia, Cynthia.

TM

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH