Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning fellow gardeners.

I am posting this on Friday night, so it will be ready and waiting for you whenever you check in in the morning. Also because I left my iPad at school and, although I brought home my school computer, I left the power cord at school. So, I will need to use our MacBook which Chuck is almost always using. Sigh. He is at a meeting now, so I am sneaking in to post. :) I am especially irritated with myself because I needed to do my report cards, my IEP progress reports, and an Educational Evaluation report for local screening this weekend. The good news is the weekend will be more relaxing than I expected. The bad news is that I will be working until heaven knows what late hours on Monday night in order to finish by Tuesday. Aaarrgghh-I hate being such a dolt.

So, for today (tomorrow?), I ran across an article that mentioned Napoleon and his troubles with feeding his armies during campaigns. He needed a way to keep the food edible as the armies camped far from supply sources. A solution was supplied by an Englishman. What do you suppose that solution might have been?

I will be back with clues if I can pry this computer out of my dear husband's hands.

Cynthia

Comments (12)

• thinman
    10 years ago

It sounds like you don't have access to the school after hours. That sounds strange to a small-town teacher who always had keys to the building. Even when I was a TA at CMU, I had a key to the building and to the department head's office so I could get my mail. That was back in the 70s though, so they may not do it any more.

Food preservation, huh? Was salting food known before Napoleon's time? How about canning? Just thinking out loud.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Mornin, Cyn. I would be lost without my computer!! I got my little tablet to try to have a plan B, but boy, that learning curve is straight up these days!!

Salt and canning could be plausible answers, I am also thinking of another thing that gave the English one of their nicknames....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh you two! Are my questions too easy or are you just so smart? I suspect the latter! So, which one will you choose?

I will tell you that I found this: the year was 1809 and Napoleon had a problem. His military campaigns were being disrupted---by food. It would spoil before reaching the front lines. So the French government offered a prize of twelve-thousand francs for a solution . Nicholas Appert claimed the prize.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. Salting is pretty low-tech and I can imagine it being done at that time. I remember reading the term bully beef, which I think was something the Brits ate (still eat?). I really don't know if containers were advanced enough then to be used for canning. We know from last weekend that glass has been around for a long time, so maybe that could be it. That may have even been the impetus for this question. Maybe?

I'm going to go for canning, because I think salting was used long before the 1800s. Could be wrong, but that's my guess.

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I have been following along but slow to respond as needed to log in and couldn't remember my password.

I will also go with canning as the other two ways that I thought of were salting and drying and expect that both of them had been done for centuries.

Off to dinner and celebrating friends' birthdays.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

An army travels on its stomach, or some such thing.
    Yep, pretty sure salting is very old school. Canning is perhaps how they went. Maybe even tinned, not sure how the timing is compared to the Franklin expedition - that didn't go so well for them.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

**** for TM, Bobbie, and Nancy. Yes canning was the process invented in answer to Napoleon's need. Many people have the vague impression that Napoleon invented canned food. Actually, it was Napoleon's government that offered a prize of 12,000 francs in 1795 for the invention of a method of preserving food for the army and navy. The prize was claimed in 1809 by Nicholas Appert, "the father of canning." However it's important to note that Appert did not use tin cans. Rather, his process involved vacuum-packing food in jars sealed with pitch. Appert was inspired by the fact that wine stayed fresh in bottles, an obvious inspiration for a Frenchman.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Napoleonic Wars, King George III of England granted a patent to Peter Durand for the invention of the tin-plated iron can as a container for food.

So, hats off to you three. Since I don't have my iPad, it is harder for me to post a photo to go with the hats off bit, but I will try.

Have a marveloius Sunday everyone.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Thanks Cyn - good fun. Interesting that the technology existed, but the Brits went with cans - the downside, of course, was the lead solder...hmmmm.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

What a choice, breakable jars or slow poisoning, though wonder if they were even aware of the poisoning.

Thanks for the stars, question and information, Cynthia.

What was the English nickname you were thinking of, Nancy?

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 11:32

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

I was thinking of limey, thinking of the process of pickling or spicing food to preserve it....

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I thought limey came from the fact that the British began providing sailors with lemons and limes to prevent scurvy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and the fun, Cynthia. It's always fun when I get one right, and fun to learn something new when I don't .

TM