Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning friends and a happy New Year's Eve to you all.

We are staying in this evening for a nice quiet ny's eve. Things will seem new though, since I took advantage of Chuck's regular Friday night absence to rearrange the furniture in our keeping room (just a fancy way of saying the sitting area off the kitchen). I like it and when DH returned from his meeting, so did he. That was a surprise. Anyway, it looks good, but I think that is due in part to the fact that I moved out some excess stuff. It seems we have too much furniture ever since cleaning out my parents' home years ago. *sigh* too good to toss, too much to keep.

Anyway, in the spirit of the season, I have read about many of the traditions people follow which are meant to usher in a a year filled with happiness and luck. In the south here in the US, lots of folks eat black-eyed peas and greens (yuck). Hoppin' John is the name of the dish (rice with the peas). Can't remember where this is, but some people celebrate by jumping off chairs and elsewhere by throwing and breaking dishes at the door. Today's question is about a Spanish custom. At the first stroke of midnight, people in Spain eat grapes. The idea is to eat 12 before the the clock stops striking. The question is, how did this tradition get its start?

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Good New Year's Eve Day, Cyn. My, but you were up early today. the cats had me up, but I have been trying desperately to muck out my kitchen!! The Hoppin' john question was I think part of another trivia question, maybe last year?? I didn't know it. 8(
    In Scotland, it is good luck for a dark haired man to be the first to enter your door at the New Year - mind you leave by the same door, or you take the luck with you!! OK, this has been avoidance. Grapes.....sorta sounds like a frat-boy thing, doesn't it?? I need clues!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There is a little clue hidden in my post. Just as an fyi, the tradition in Spain didn't start until the early 20th century.

I love that Scottish traditon. From what I read, it made for lots of fun as young male revelers were invited in to party with house after house!

• thinman
    12 years ago

I'm thinking ...

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

The one I remember from my childhood, a neighbor would bring a lump of coal through the door right after the clock chimed 12. Cyn I need more clues too.

Annette

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

No idea on this one. I would guess that 12 grapes would represent 12 months of the year; either the old one or the new one. Do the grapes represent wine in the idea of turning something into something else so it can be enjoyed later?? Hmmm.... How long does it take to make a good wine? Totally guessing here.

Ginny

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

OK, back from errands. Hmmm...is it something to do with round, or roundish things? Dried beans, grapes.....or is it changing things around.....yikes. I have no idea!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So, missed my clue did you? Sorry I didn't get back sooner. We went to see The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with our son's sweetie since he is working.

Let's see, since we are staying home tonight, what leftovers can I find for dinner? There is always something extra that I can use up. Maybe I should share before everything goes bad. No sense wasting, huh?

There is a connection to wine...or more precisely to vine growers...

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Well, I have suceeded in my New Year's ritual - I got the bed stripped and the sheets washed. Had to disturb cats to get them back on, but I am now good for 2012. I know, I am weird.

K, is it something to do with change? As Ginny said, maybe the grapes turn to wine, as the year passes. It can be less than a year, or many years, depending on the wine, or your taste. Hmmmm.

Nancy.

12 years ago

Do they eat the the left over grapes like the rejects or something? That sounds just too odd......although I have no idea when grapes are picked in Spain. I don't know if I would like to eat semi-fermented grapes :/

Ginny

12 years ago

This is starting to feel like 21 Questions. Lol!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If we were playing hot/cold, I would say you were warm, Ginny.

The tradition became just that through the initiative of grape growers. Now, why would they want everyone to in the country to eat 12 grapes??? Note: the number really doesn't have a whole lot of significance.

12 years ago

12 strokes of the clock I guess. But why would they want them to eat "grapes" in the first place? They wanted to share their grapes?? I guess?? It signified abundance? Lots of strange traditions in this world. I have no idea about this one.

My grandma used to tell me about a Scottish tradition of the first person walking in the door in the new year. She was a bit of a superstitious one so I think she would try to keep people at bay until the one she wanted to come in, would. No idea where that one came from either.

I'm working on warming up, Cynthia.

Ginny

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Going with the clues I think the twelve grapes represent the twelve months. One eats a grape for "happiness and luck" for each month. I have no idea how the tradition was started. Maybe it was a marketing ploy by the grape growers, for who would buy just twelve grapes?

Happy New Year all!

Bobbie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

O.K. I will go along with it's a marketing ploy thingie but for the life of me I can't come up with the reason.

Annette

• thinman
    12 years ago

Does it have to do with something like symbolically clearing out the old crop to help ensure a plentiful crop in the new year? That's all I've got.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

**** for Bobbie and Annette! It did start out as a marketing ploy when the grape harvest was abundant and the growers wanted to encourage people to buy. I think Bobbie hit it correctly when she asked who would buy just twelve grapes. Personally, I think it is brilliant and I bet the grape growers do too, since it is a country-wide tradtion these days. The idea is to finish all twelve grapes before the clock finishes striking. The grape eating at midnight has been traced back to 1895, but it really became accepted practice throughout the country in 1906 after a particularly bountiful year. TM, they weren't just clearing out symbolically-from what I read, they really did want to sell all those grapes! :) Can't help but picture Lucy buying and stomping on them to make her own wine. Teehee.

So, that is what I wish for all of you: abundant harvests, good health, and the joy that comes with ...happy new year.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

What an interesting idea!! We did have 12 grapes at midnight last night, just in case!! lol. Off to post my question.

Nancy.

Sponsored