Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning and happy Saturday to you all. I am taking a page from Nancy's book and going with a musical question today. Hope no one minds if I go with one that has to do with Christmas. In thinking of all of you and hoping that everyone has a bright and lovely weekend no matter what or if you celebrate, I have chosen a song that I would sing to you---if I could sing beautifully and if you were here-ha! Since I can't and you aren't, let's make it our question topic for the day. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is such a sweet, lovely song, so can you tell me about it? It is one of those war-years tunes that always strikes me as so poignant and appeals to my sentimental side. Now, for the question...

Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas made its debut in what film and was sung by whom?

Comments (27)

• thinman
    12 years ago

Wow, Cynthia, you're up and at 'em early today. Good for you. Only one movie occurs to me and I have no idea if it's anywhere close to the right answer. The one I'm thinking of is now the name of a nationwide chain of businesses.

Let's see what others think.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning, TM. Yes, sadly,despite being on vacation, sleeping in these days means not getting up until 7:30! :)

Anyway, I need to start wrapping now that Chuck is out. History buff that he is, a book on Lewis and Clark is his major gift-we don't need much and books are always welcome. I wanted to find something unexpected, a history of Clydesdales for instance (thought of that watching one of those atmospheric Budweiser Christmas commercials). Oh well. Also trying to figure out what I can put in the bird feeder. We are suddenly bereft of song birds this year. Usually, they are at the feeder all day, especially the cardinals-we had SO many of them. Now, none. I can't imagine what has caused this. I am heartbroken. Guess I will check at the bird seed store to see if this is area-wide or just our yard.

Anyway, I will be back later. Keep thinking, TM. ;)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Good old TCM, my favorite movie channel :), I think I just watched this movie recently, later. A very happy Christmas eve to everyone.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I recently read an article about this song and how the original lyrics were considered depressing. They were later changed to the ones we know now and recorded by a well known crooner.

Having lived in the city in the title of the movie and now living in the home state of the singer I know both. The singer was also in one of my favorite Easter time holiday movies.

Cynthia, there is also a dearth of birds at my feeders, an occasional cardinal or finch. If it wasn't for the chickadees we would see few birds. I miss the activity of the past years at the feeders.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Well, Happy Day Before Chirstmas to All!! I am on a borrowed laptop - more computer woes!!

Anyway, Cyn - I used to get lots of birds and song with Black oil sunflower seeds.

I watched A Christmas Carol last night, after I got home from the office Christmas Party - fun, and no work today. I can hear JG singing this, I think, but the movie eludes me!! I need clues!!

Off to put hair on my Bag Ladies!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are clues to part of the movie title in my last post, but it seems some of you don't need those. Lots of people meeting me at least half-way. ;)

I use the hulled sunflower for our feeders. This time of year, I am usually going through tons of seed, but not this year. I am saving money, though I would rather have the birds. Also have suet feeders that the woodpeckers and flickers used to frequent that are going untouched. Wonder what Rachel Carson would have to say.

Cynthia

12 years ago

Nancy, if I'm thinking of the right movie some snowpeople got decapitated by a very upset little girl.

Annette

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

I feed my cardinals cranberries, safflower and sunflower seeds from a pot of gold at Christmas.

• thinman
    12 years ago

I see lots of hints, or think I do, but nothing is clicking in my brain. I wish I could say that it was an unusual situation for me. :)

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

OK, so not Holiday Inn. Pot of gold is not clicking for me - I'll probably have a V-8 moment later!! A crooner - got to be Bing?? So I'll say White Christmas....maybe??

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

omg, Annette, decapitated Snow People?? I was thinking sweet song was 'White Christmas'. Geez, I'm not watching enough old movies!! lol. I'm sticking with der Bingle!!

Nancy.

12 years ago

Ummmmm, clang, clang, clang went the trolley, ding ding ding went the bell, does that help :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annette, too funny.

Bobbi gave you a clue-getting the name of a city will give it to you, I think.

Nancy, the song is Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas as I said in first post-too much eggnog?

Ginny, was pot of gold a clue? Not sure. I may have to get some cranberries! I did get an early gift: we had two pairs of cardinals at the feeders this evening and a couple of other birds, too. Too dark to see what they were. I am so happy!!!

Okay, here are my clues again in a list that may give you the title of the movie:
    Lewis and Clark (reaching here, but you all know history, so this could be a jumping off point for you), Anheuser Busch, Cardinals (are you baseball fans?), Meet Me half-way. Too vague?

The song did have different lyrics when originally written and referring to soldiers in WWII. The lyricist changed the words when Garland felt they were too depressing.

This is not what I usually think of as a Christmas movie. Came out in 1944 and Judy Garland did sing the song as you guessed, Nancy. She also became involved with Vincente Minelli during filming.

Cynthia

12 years ago

LOL, I just turned the TV on at 3 PST, guess what's playing on TMC, .....opening scene making catsup in the kitchen.

Annette

12 years ago

Urrrrggghhhh!!! TCM.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Pot of gold was sort of a clue since I was trying to say that Judy Garland sang the song. We don't get blue birds here or rainbows in the winter. My husband and Dad are sports fans; Dad's favorite is baseball.

The real cardinals are huge fans of safflower seeds. I get them at the Wild Bird Store here. I have a winter bird smorgasbord and feed pretty much anything that needs to eat in the winter. It has been so mild this year, we have a gopher under the porch!

Ginny

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

hy do I feel like quasimoto?? Is it the Bells??

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Ah geez. Did they actually meet there???

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

DH is a Cardinals baseball fan so years before we moved to that city we would take vacation there to see a game.

Good clues, Cynthia. The grounds of the World's Fair is a large park with some of our favorite destinations, zoo, a Lewis & Clark Expedition museum that included a map of the expedition on the ground outside, the Science Center, the Jewel Box (greenhouse), a Confederate soldier memorial and an outdoor theatre. I think the only buildings left from the Fair are the Pavilion and the Art Museum, though added to since we left. Can you tell we spent many happy hours in Forest Park?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Was it meet me in St. Louis? I even got the airport code wrong, but it is sort of in the middle....Off to post my question now. Not sure if anyone is in the mood....

Nancy.

12 years ago

Great old movie....Meet Me In St Louis and Judy Garland sang Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas to Margaret O'Brien.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

lol. Knew the song wasn't White Christmas!! For some reason I thought you had referenced another sweet song. Read carefully.

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Now I see why the cardinal clues never did anything for me. I don't know anything about that movie -- can't remember ever hearing of it. I may have to start watching TCM if I'm going to keep up with you all.

Good question, Cynthia. Thank you!

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

**** for Annette, Nancy, Bobbi, Ginny, and TM!

Yes, the Movie is and Judy Garland sings the tune. Here are the original lyrics that Judy apparently thought were too mean to sing to little Margaret O'Brien-must say I agree:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas, it may be your last,
    Next year we may all be living in the past
    Have yourself a merry little Christmas, pop that champagne cork,
    Next year we will all be living in New York.
    No good times like the olden days, happy golden days of yore,
    Faithful friends who were dear to us, will be near to us no more.
    But at least we all will be together, if the Fates allow,
    From now on we'll have to muddle through somehow.
    So have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday/Sunday full of joy and laughter.

Thanks for being such wonderful companions throughout the year!

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Have yourself a Merry...

• thinman
    12 years ago

Thanks for the totally undeserved stars. The Christmas spirit must be in your soul today. :)

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I put in a little extra effort, perhaps I can be like the reformed Scrooge and keep it there every day! :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Great question Cyn. Lots of fun, as always.

Nancy.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting