Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning Cottagers.

I hope you are all well and warm this last December (and last 2012) Saturday. I had hoped to awaken to snow, but it appears the weathermen lied again! Oh well. Chances are we will have rain again later instead of snow. :(

So on to trivia. We have so many Canadian actors that come here to make it big! Many of our favorites hail from north of the border as did the subject of today's question. Let's go back to the days of radio. This actor started out broadcasting the news during WWll. He became known as "the Voice of Doom" for his delivery of such distressing news in his deep voice.

More clues later. Hope this is not too easy for some of you up North!

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• thinman
    11 years ago

Good morning to you, Cynthia. We definitely have some snow here in northern Michigan - not a speck of green to be seen anywhere.

I have a fairly strong idea who the Voice of Doom was, but let's see what others are thinking before I spill.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

No green, TM - interesting.Sounded like there was some!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yippee, we are getting snow. I hope it keeps up all day!

You are both too smart! Wonder why I never knew this. I will wait to see if anyone else needs clues.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Mmmmmm, a couple of characters come to mind, Captain Adama, Ben Cartwright :).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

lol!!

Nancy - who is in from shovelling her white stuff!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

*sigh*.

Okay smarties, here is another that you probably either know or can guess. About whom was the term 'anchorman' first used to describe the lead person on the evening news?

Cynthia

11 years ago

Geesh just a guess, he was my favorite of all time, CBS's TR_A_L....TR_CEIO_. The dots separate the first and last name. Find the missing letters and then unscramble, after you do that remember my guess could be wrong LOL.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Got the first one from the clues and am still thinking about the second.
    No green here either as had a light snow again yesterday so everything is brilliant white. Off to the library and grocery shopping.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

We had 14 " of snow Friday, on top of about 10" from the day before Christmas - so lots of white here, and it is coming down lightly. Freezing overnight, so I am glad I got the wet snow out of my path!! Whew, in from bottling some barolo red wine - yum. I have not idea on the second clues - not even with Annette trying to spell it out to me!!

Nancy.

11 years ago

OK here's the missing letters but they're not in any order e, k, W, n, remember now, my answer is only a guess, it's the FIRST name that came to mind so I stuck with it. Fingers crossed I haven't messed this up, I've been known to do that LOL.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Annette, that's the way it is. ;)

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

I just checked back in and I see we have another question. The old-time anchorman that I came up with has initials that could also mean loo in some countries.

So the first question --- we're all thinking of Red Green, right? Ha ha ha.

TM

11 years ago

Good one TM :).

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heehee.

No need to wait.

**** for Nancy, TM, Annette, and Bobbie.

Yes, Lorne Greene was known as the Voice of Doom for his reports on the war. Of course, I watched him with my dad every week on Bonanza.

Walter Cronkite was thrown in just to give you something to do! Ha. I need to put my mind to something harder for next week. Still, hope it was fun. See you all tomorrow when Nancy will come up with a question that will really test us!

Cynthia

• thinman
    11 years ago

I didn't know about the Voice of Doom, but when I read about the deep voice I thought of Lorne Greene.

Thanks for the stars, Cynthia, and for not one, but two, fun questions today. Hope you got enough snow to make you happy.

TM

11 years ago

Thanks for the fun Cyn, it's nice to know the answers once in awhile. Tomorrow will probably be a different story Nancy has a habit of stumping me.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Thanks for the stars. I didn't know either and figured both out from the TM's and Annette's clues.

Happy New Year to you all.
    Bobbie

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022