Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers. I see people up my street, chipping their vehicles out of the combination of ice and snow that fell late yesterday and overnight. Better them than me, I say, but I do need to get out for a walk later today.

The holiday of Christmas has been known by various other names throughout its history. The Anglo-Saxons referred to the feast as "midwinter" or, more rarely, as NÃÂtiuite, (from Latin nÃÂtëvitÃÂs). "Nativity", meaning "birth", is from Latin nÃÂtëvitÃÂs. In Old English, Geola ("Yule") referred to the period corresponding to January and December; the cognate Old Norse Jol was later the name of a pagan Scandinavian holiday which merged with Christmas around 1000. "Noel" (or "Nowell") entered English in the late 14th century. What is the translation of Noel?

Perhaps an easy one for you today. We'll see - I'll be back with clues later.

Nancy.

Comments (24)

• thinman
    10 years ago

When I think of noel, I always think of this:
    What is wrong here? ABCDEFGHIJKMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol. What the 'L'!!!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

hahaha, TM-I love that---No 'L'

Of course, that doesn't help me with Nancy's question. I know this, but can't brush away the cobwebs to see it clearly. I will wait for clues to jog my memory-may need an idiot slap to the back of my head-heehee.

The carol, "Sing we all Noel," has been going through my head since I first read this this morning!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, yes Cynthia - you should know this as it is french, albeit old french.

Here is a lovely version of the carol!!

Nancy - who often repeats herself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sing We All Noel - bilingual version!!

• thinman
    10 years ago

I see noel in crossword puzzles a lot, usually the clue is something like Holiday air, as though noel were a synonym for Christmas carol. This confused me when I first saw it, as I didn't know any Christmas carol actually named Noel and I didn't know that noel was a synonym for Christmas carol. I still don't know for sure, but I've done enough crosswords to just write in noel now.

Does that have a connection to our question today?

You may have seen that yesterday was the crossword puzzle's 100th birthday. I was kind of hoping that Cynthia would use that as her question yesterday. I would have nailed it and appeared much smarter than I did.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

You know, TM, I knew that 100th birthday was coming up and I did think I should use it...until the day came and I totally forgot. Jeepers. I will go back and award you four stars for shouldabeen! :)

Still thinking and singing, Nancy.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I may have known this at one time. Need clues to bring it back.

Since DH is a crossword puzzle fan I was aware of the 100th anniversary. My part is to look it over when he has finished his first try and add any that I know, then he finishes it. Second set of eyes, and all that.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Sorry, posted on wrong day.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 14:28

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know I had heard that is was the 100th for the crossword, and was thinking of working it into a question post-Christmas question. This is the only time of year that I am organized and have questions ahead for December - lol. Good that I didn't.

I don't think that Noel is a synonym for a carol. I'll have to look that up. Noel is a synonym for another French word very commonly used in crosswords. That may be a dead giveaway.

I didn't get my walk, but I did get a workout. Housemate decided that she needed things too so was taking the car. Did I mention she doesn't have her snow on yet? lol. We ended up enlisting a couple of neighbourhood kids to help did us out! The old broad on the medical pension was shovelling and pushing! Hope the gov't didn't see.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, French. Is the answer obvious? I sent a card with Noel on it to my friend with whom I went to France. Could it be that simple? I have been thinking too deeply perhaps.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant snow tires on the above posting!!

Cynthia, you know I am not that deep!! lol. Shallow rooted, as ever.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I am not picking up the clues.

How about a greeting like, "Hark!" or "Hello, here's some news", or "Hey, you guys!"

• thinman
    10 years ago

I checked with the crossword clues database on my computer and sometimes noel seems to refer to a carol, with a clue like ("Adeste Fideles," for one) and sometimes to the event of Christmas itself (clue: Gift-giving time).

Since you didn't bite when I mentioned it possibly being a Christmas carol, I'll have to guess that Noel can mean Christmas itself.

That's my uneducated guess anyway.

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

I'm going with Christmas too.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Joyeux Noël àvous tous.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And what are celebrating there, Cynthia?

Nancy.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy.

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 22:45

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ditto

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Sun, Dec 22, 13 at 22:42

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I don't know much French but think Cynthia is saying a "A joyful (merry) Christmas to you all.", so I also think it means Christmas.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 0:08

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Yes, merry Christmas to all. Christmas is my answer!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh so close and all oh so wrong!! Noel is from the Old French noël or naël, itself ultimately from the Latin nÃÂtÃÂlis (dias), "(day) of birth". I thought this was sooo easy - I am sorry. Nativity, Latin nÃÂtëvitÃÂs - all the origins of the word. Maybe Canadian crosswords are different from American ones - I was going for the word 'nee' meaning birth, born as.

Well it's Christmas, so you all get a star anyway!!
    {{gwi:617456}}

May the peace and joy of the Season fill your homes and your hearts. I'll 'see' you all next week!! Thanks for playing.

Nancy/

Here is a link that might be useful: Santa Claus and his old lady

• thinman
    10 years ago

And a fine star it is. Thanks for teasing our brains this weekend, Nancy.

I hope everyone has a merry Christmas.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the fun, Nancy.

I also wish all of you a very merry Christmas!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Star of wonder! Thanks for the puzzler and fun. Née is often used in our crosswords.

Feliz navidad.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 21:27

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio