Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning all. What a week it was at school-Tuesday, one of my girls stole my cell phone, Wednesday, another one of my girls trashed my room (overturned desks, threw whatever..staplers, tape dispensers, papers, books...she could get her hands on) while I was at a meeting, and then she lost control again and hit, kicked, and tried to bite us as we moved her into the support room. Other than that, a normal week of kids whining, arguing with each other, lying, and stealing...needless to say, I am a tad tired. So, pretty lame trivia today and if anyone has a great question, feel free to override mine. Just jump on in! :)

I showed the kids a short bio on Nelson Mandela yesterday. Such a loss for the planet. Anyway, the film showed people waiting in line for miles to cast their ballots for him. Do you know why those papers are called that?

Cynthia

Comments (20)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

So sorry you've had such a tough week Cyn, sending you a big hug and just a word to let you know we are all so thankful for dedicated teachers like yourself, who go that extra mile for their students and in turn their families. You guys are something special.

I think I have an idea about what today's trivia is but will hold back waiting for clues, just to make sure, later....

Annette

• thinman
    10 years ago

Cynthia, you do not get paid nearly enough. Sorry you had such a tough week.

Good question about ballots, though I have no idea about the answer. If you have any clues, I'm all ears, or I guess that would be all eyes.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually, Annette, and everyone, it is more irritating than tough. They are really neat kids with a lot of issues, but every time stuff like this happens, I sigh. I always think we have gotten past that, but no worries. Also, no big deal-I think we all have extraordinary gifts that we give to this world, so it is a good thing we are all here!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Cyn - hugs. My week pales in comparison. I too agree that many teachers are not paid enough.

As to trivia, I will need clues, big time!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    10 years ago

The word ballot looks like it might be French. Any chance that's true?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

That does sound right to me as well, TM. That brings me no closer to the answer, though!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have to say, friends, that most of the time we have a ball in my class. Really, no worries. There are moments, though, when I just want to smack them and say, 'Enough!" Of course, that is what they live away from school and also what they do to each other, so I control myself. ;). You know it was bad when I actually yelled at them on Friday for chasing each other around the room screaming and the part-time assistant did nothing (I had gone across the hall for two minutes to copy something for one of them). Jeez. I hate the run- up to holidays. It will be like this until vacation, I fear.

It does sound like a French word, TM, but its origins are actually Italian. Saying that just now awakened another long-lost bit of learning. Think back, waaaay back.

Cynthia

10 years ago

I'm thinking along the lines of black and white, am I on the right track?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

This is way over my head.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Annette, you are!

I really do need to get out before that winter storm hits. I have two pink muhly grass plants and a ceanothus to put in the ground. One good thing about getting into the lower yard is that I find the lacrosse balls the neighbor's kids have accidentally thrown over the fence. I also find tennis balls I have tossed for our two, but they have no interest in playing fetch, so I pretty much play by myself. I still have a box with several smaller plants, but they can wait. Maybe I will pack the tennis balls around inside the box as insulation.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Why do I get the feeling that there is a clue in there?? lol. Lacrosse, tennis - is the original meaning related to a game?

Nancy - who is grasping at straws.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are grasping at the wrong end, Nancy! Lol.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia, for using your talents to work with your students and show them there are other ways to respond to frustrations and bad behavior.

I don't know about ballot. Thinking along the line of casting a vote by placing a ball in a container before your last posting. Seems now something with balls must be right.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Bobbie, you are so smart. I'll bet you have it. Ball - ballot, they sure are close.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

So balls, not sports...hmmmm. You tossed a ball somewhere?

On a happier note, I found my cookie cutters. I made gingerbread on Thursday, intending to make the cookies yesterday. Ha, I hid the silly things on myself when I cleaned out a drawer. So happy I found them. Off to make cookies.

Nancy.

10 years ago

OK, I think the name came from balls too, the white and black balls they used to black ball someone.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for Annette, TM, Bobbie, and Nancy. Yes, the word ballot comes from the Italian word for ball which is palla. Pallotta is little ball. In the mid-16th century, it became ballot (middle French=ballotta-good ear TM) to refer to the small balls used for voting which would be placed in boxes indicating one's choice.

Your stars today (and balls) are in response to Nancy's baking. Today would be a perfect day for that here, but I seem to be out of brown sugar. Rats.

Have a delightful Sunday all. Thanks for playing.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Love the cookie stars! Thanks for the fun.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia. I'm thinking of you down there as the nasty weather is moving in. I hope the freezing rain misses you, although on the radar it looks like it is already there. Stay safe.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars!!That would have been a good system, as long as no one stuck extra balls up their sleeves!! Love the cookies. I got my gingerbread made, but didn't get it decorated. I am up to my ears in cables and computer crap, trying to get this all set up for tomorrow - don't think that's going to happen, as I am short one cable, and can't figure everything else out!!

Nancy.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus