Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Happy Sunday Morning, Cottagers!! It is a grey day here, which means not to cold, so we can continue to chop away at the excess of snow we've received. First year in many we received so much, so soon. Too much, if you ask me - but no one is!!

Here's hoping everyone had a lovely feast for Christmas. We are good at excess this time of year. Brings to mind a Roman feast, you know - where supposedly they eat till they burst, went to the Vomitorium, then went back to eat some more......supposedly. But that's not what a Roman Vomitorium is really all about - and here is your question: What is a vomitorium?

I'll be back with clues if you smart people need them!!

Nancy.

Comments (18)

• thinman
    10 years ago

So a vomitorium is not about vomiting?
    Or maybe it is about vomiting, but not so the Romans could go stuff themselves again?

And may I add - eww.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol. I know - happy times!! Not as gross as you might think!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

This is another question/topic that is familiar, but I cannot remember. Sigh. Will wait for clues.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Clues, yes clues please.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

The images that come to mind leave me reeling. I need clues.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I hope that you don't leave the page!! My, my. I just popped out to see what bargains might be had at the Liquidation World close-out. They were bought, gee, it feels like less than a year ago by Big Lots, one of my favourite bargain shops in the US. I guess they are both exiting the retail world, and there weren't many bargains, to boot.

I did have a good day shopping yesterday - picked some more comfy clothes for working from home. Pretty happy about that, and training continues tomorrow.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Bargains, shopping...still no closer to the answer here. Hmmm.

Cynthia

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

:) Does a word starting with an 'E' have the same meaning?

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AAhh, Annette, you are on to me!! So many words that mean the same thing, some of them almost as gross - I wouldn't dis you!!

Pita is laying on my lap, being a real Snagglepuss!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh well, I need more clues, Nancy. I will check back in a bit to see if there are any more before I go to bed. If not, I surrender.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Aiiiieeeee - Snagglepuss gives you no clues! Hmmmm....a RUSH album probably won't help. I need a way out..........

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Uhoh, Heavens to murgatroyd! I didn't realize that was a clue! Haha. I loved him! We used his lines all the time, especially his stage leaving line! Combine that with Annette's 'e' clue and your last line and I do believe I have it, although I will need to look it all up tomorrow to see all this connects. Oh ewww, I think It just came to me why we use the word the way we do. Well yuck. Sort of funny though. Now, I can spend tomorrow watching old cartoons. :)

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I am Snagglepuss and RUSH ignorant so don't know where to go with those clues. Guess this one is a bust for me.

• thinman
    10 years ago

No flashes of inspiration have happened here either. Maybe if I had learned some Latin ...

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Even with two years of high school Latin (required), I would not have gotten this. Only the cartoon connection gave it to me-Snagglepuss was always getting into trouble. Our favorite line? "Exit-stage left."

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, sorry, I guess I skunked 2 of you!!

A vomitorium is a passage situated below or behind a tier of seats in an amphitheatre or a stadium, through which big crowds can exit rapidly at the end of a performance. They can also be pathways for actors to enter and leave stage. The Latin word vomitorium, plural vomitoria, derives from the verb vomeo, vomere, vomitum, "to spew forth." In ancient Roman architecture, vomitoria were designed to provide rapid egress for large crowds at amphitheatres and stadiums, as they do in modern sports stadiums and large theatres.
    {{gwi:617491}}
    There is a common misconception that ancient Romans designated spaces called vomitoria for the purpose of actual vomiting, as part of a binge and purge cycle. According to Cicero, Julius Caesar escaped an assassination attempt because he felt ill after dinner. Instead of going to the latrine, where his assassins were waiting, he went to his bedroom and avoided assassination. This may be the origin of the misconception. The term vomitorium does not appear until the 4th century AD, about 400 years after Caesar and Cicero. Other sources say that Aldous Huxley was the first to use the misinterpretation in his book Antic Hay in 1923, in the sentence: There strode in, like a Goth into the elegant marble vomitorium of Petronius Arbiter, a haggard and dishevelled person.

So, for Cynthia and Annette:

Thanks to all for playing, and I'll see you next year. Let's hope for a really good one!! And Bobbie, here is a cartoon, just for you, and TM, too, of course.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Duck Hunting Season

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nancy, for the link. The carton was vaguely familiar but not one we watched regularly. Looking forward to a chance to redeem myself next week.

Happy New Year all.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 2:50

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That was such fun, Nancy! I always liked that stupid little duck and Snagglepuss really was a softie. Good memories. I do think the old cartoons were so much better than those of today. Even some Latin in that one! ;)

Thanks for the stars. It was your and Annette's clues that gave it to me and learned something new yet again!

Cynthia

Sponsored