Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning friends,

This has been one of those weeks with no time to let my mind wander and no time for recreational reading, so I didn't think of trivia at all. I imagine that Nancy will have a very fun question tomorrow and I think she said it will be holiday-themed. Can't wait.

Today, all you get is a brain teaser. We are trying out a new program called Brainology with our kids in one of my two classes (love this teacher!). It teaches them that intelligence is not static and can be increased. We,ahem, slightly older folks benefit from exercising our brains, too.

So, a perfect number is one whose proper factors (all factors excluding the number itself)add up to the number. For example, 1+2+3=6, so 6 is a perfect number. What is the next one?

I am heading out with my "should-be-but-isn't-yet" daughter-in-law to the annual souk (Palestinian market) today-she did some volunteer work in the West Bank and last year she bought me some of the best olive oil from the area, so this year I am going with her! I will check in probably late afternoon. Have fun playing with numbers. Hope it isn't too easy. I do have one clue to help, but I am betting you won't need it since this is just a matter of playing with numbers.

Cynthia

Comments (14)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Hey Cyn - hope you;re having fun at the market. You're hurting my brain!! Numbers, aaaaaiiiieeeee!! lol. I will be sitting here with my scratch pad. Bet TM will nail this question!!

Nancy.

• thinman
    11 years ago

Yes, indeed I do have this one. :)

It is the number just before the tenth prime number. Is that clue obscure enough?

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Oh dear, methinks I'm in trouble with this one :(.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why, yes, TM, it certainly is!

Okay all of you...we can extend the deadline to this question...until February perhaps?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

February would be about right for me - and if that's a clue, I'm at the airport!!

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

numbers...it's all about the numbers,Nancy! ;)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

lol - is there a word for number dyslexia?? I've got it!!

I was just thinking of this marvelous Italian restaurant we used to go to - they'd put the olive oil on a bread plate and give us lovely crusty bread to mop it up with - yummm.

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is one of my favorite things-crusty bread and olive oil. I bought four bottles of olive oil from the middle east at the souk today. Took one to neighbors across the street who love olive oil-his mom is from Naples, so we love when he cooks for us! One is for us and the other two are for my two co- teachers.

Okay, Annette and Nancy, just start writing down all the factors for numbers starting from 6. It won't take you too long to find the answer, I promise!

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Factors, numbers that are multiplied together to equal a number, 2 & 3
    and 6 & 1 for 6.

Perfect number: Except for itself all factors added together = the original number. 1+2+3=6. Perfect number 6

Prime number: a number that only has itself and 1 as factors. 1x1=1. 1x3=3
    1, 3, 5,.....

Disregard leap year endings

I love math questions!
    Bobbie, former math teacher and sometimes math tutor

• mnwsgal
    11 years ago

Just finished watching The Phantom of the Opera, musical, which I taped a while ago and am humming the theme song which has planted itself firmly "inside my head".

We go to an Italian restaurant where the waiter serves Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper in a small bowl of olive oil which is used as a dipping sauce for a selection of breads, delicious.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

**** for Bobbie and TM

Yes, the next perfect number is 28. Factors are 1, 2, 4, 7, and 14 (excluding the number itself, 28). Add those factors and you get 28.

Happy Sunday all. Grey with drizzle here. Have chili and football on the calendar!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    11 years ago

Good question Cyn - I'm just an arithmophobic person!! I swear, I look at numbers on a page and they start swimming!!

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Nancy I'm with you, are you sure we're not related somewhere down the line LOL.

Annette

• thinman
    11 years ago

Cynthia, I hope your chili was good and your team won yesterday. Thanks a lot for coming up with a trivia question for us. I liked it! :)

TM

Sponsored