Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Good Sunday Morning, Cottagers!! Still cold and white here! Well, it is the first of December, so bring on the Christmas music, I say!! Stores are playing it - heck, they've been playing it since Remembrance Day. But I'm ready for it now, it kinda gets me into the mood to starting baking cookies. My favourite, right now, is a TV commercial featuring Brenda Lee singing "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree".

The earliest extant specifically Christmas hymns appear in 4th-century Rome. Latin hymns such as "Veni redemptor gentium", written by Ambrose, Archbishop of Milan, were austere statements of the theological doctrine of the Incarnation. By the 13th century, in France, Germany, particularly, Italy, under the influence of Francis of Asissi, a strong tradition of popular Christmas songs in the native language developed. Christmas carols in English first appear in a 1426 work of John Awdlay, a Shropshire chaplain, who lists twenty-five "caroles of Cristemas", probably sung by groups of wassailers, who went from house to house.

So, according to the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers in 2006, what is the most-performed "holiday" song written by ASCAP members, for the first five years of the 21st century:(tracking plays in the U.S. only, and in order of number of plays)?

That should thaw out those little grey cells, and I'll add a link for Brenda to get you singing and dancing!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rockin Around the Christmas Tree

Comments (25)

• thinman
    10 years ago

I never knew what ASCAP stood for, so there's a nice trivia fact for us right there.So, the songs have to have been written by an ASCAP member? That rules out all the old traditional songs.

I'll have to make a list - and check it twice.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I have actually started decorating this year! Early for me!

I have two ideas. One would not be a surprise, but for some reason, the other popped into my mind. I will see if clues confirm either.

Fun question.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm glad I could be of service, TM. I had often wonder what that bit of alphagetti meant, as well. We are not talking about the most covered, or most often recorded, which is another favourite. Would it surprise you to know that half of the top 25 Christmas songs were written by Jewish composers, including our number one? It kinda puts my mind in a fog, but not a white one.....
    Of the 25, the oldest songs are "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" and "Winter Wonderland", both published in 1934, though some element of the song came along earlier for two titles (the source or music). That may help by ruling those two out for you. And I'll add a link by Judy, to help your thought process! This was number two!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Well here's what I've come up with so far, right or wrong here they are.
    1.Rudolph the red nosed reindeer
    2.Here Comes Santa Claus
    3.White Christmas
    4.Silver Bells
    5.Frosty the Snowman
    6.All I want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
    7.Blue Christmas
    8.Frosty The Snowman
    9.Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire
    10.Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
    11.Jingle Bell Rock
    12.Winter Wonderland

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

The one I was thinking of is on Annette's list, but it isn't her #1. Of course, I don't know who wrote the one I thought was a possibility. I am not thinking white, but another color.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

The song that popped into my mind as I first read the question was White Christmas. If not number one, I'll bet it is close.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Annette - 1 is 10, and 3 is 5. Cyn, what colour were you thinking of?

This song reminds me of an old Christmas special, with Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop, who relates the story of a professor who ventures off to explore Africa. He ends up being eaten by cannibals!! Hardly a child-friendly or happy Christmas tale!!

One of my favourite is number 22 - the Carol of the Bells, performed by the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Yes, I know, I have weird taste!! lol.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carol of the Bells

10 years ago

Give your head a shake Annette, you're looking the song most played. Why I was thinking you wanted a list of Christmas songs, I guess my old grey cells weren't in gear yet LOL.
    I'll go along with TM and say 'White Christmas".

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Nancy, I am thinking blue.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

White Christmas is number 5, oddly enough. It is, though, the number one recorded Christmas song, with well over 500 versions in dozens of languages. That was going to be my question, but as you see, that was wayyyyy too easy for you guys. I've ruled lots of popular songs out to make you going easier. I bought a natty Christmas sweater for the upcoming parties - now I see they are having 'Ugly Christmas Sweater' parties - uh-oh - maybe velvet wasn't a good choice.

Speaking of choices, would it surprise you to know that the list is completely different in Britain and Ireland ? Oh those crazy Brits!!

1 "All I Want for Christmas Is You" Mariah Carey and Walter Afanasieff sung by Mariah Carey 1994
    2 "Last Christmas" George Michael sung by Wham! 1984
    3 "Fairytale of New York" Jem Finer and Shane MacGowan sung by The Pogues with Kirsty MacColl 1987
    4 "Do They Know ItâÂÂs Christmas?" Bob Geldof and Midge Ure sung by Band Aid 1984
    5 "Merry Xmas Everybody" Noddy Holder and Jim Lea sung by Slade 1973

Have to admit, I am partial to number 3, but has anyone ever even heard of number 5?? Wow. Have to admit I love their number one - it is from one of my favourite Christmas movies - Love Actually. Very funny.

Anyone getting warm??

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: All I Want for Christmas is You

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire, Jack Frost nipping at your toes?
    ......Merry Christmas to You.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ack! I need to go outside but I am caught bouncing around in You-Tube!

Elvis 'Blue Christmas', a pig 'Blue Christmas', Elvis impersonators, 'A Carol of Bells Cello' plus ones linked above.....let me go, lover, let me go.

• thinman
    10 years ago

It seems that the Brits often have a darker and more pessimistic take on things than we do on this side of the ocean. I'm afraid that Fairytale of New York is a little too grim to be on my Christmas play list. Love the music, but not the lyrics.

No, I haven't heard of number 5 either, though I have just recently heard of Noddy Holder.

I would believe Bobbie's answer, though it don't deserve any stars for saying so.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Still going with Blue. Just wondering if velvet is a clue. If so, betting I am right or else I am once again making strange connections.

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don`t be blue, Cyn!! Bobbie, whilst I was bouncing around on You Tube, I found this collection - 3-hours long, but all the classics. Good to hear you are toasty warm in the north country!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 hour Medley of Christmas Songs

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Okay, so are you toasty because you are roasting chestnuts?

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I am not toasty any more. Extracted myself from You Tube and worked outside until dark. Think I need a hot drink to warm up.

Thanks for the link, Nancy. I will save that for another afternoon. I listened to all the British & Irish list. Not ones I would chose for my top list. Since I am an Elvis fan from wayyyyyy back 'Blue Christmas' would be on my list.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Is roasting chestnuts an East Coast thing? We crack filberts, almonds, walnuts or a mix which includes pecans and Brazil nuts, nary a chestnut to be seen.

Annette's list and Nancy's clues led me to Chestnut Roasting On An Open Fire.

10 years ago

Looks like Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire might be the one.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, Bobbie`s definitely got it - Cyn, are you on her coattails
    I guessing TM and Annette are not onboard Let me know if you are!!

Well, the most requested song, according to ASCAP is "The Christmas Song" by Mel Tormé and Robert Wells. It was written in 1944. According to Tormé, the song was written during a blistering hot summer. In an effort to "stay cool by thinking cool", the most-performed (according to BMI) Christmas song was born.

"I saw a spiral pad on his piano with four lines written in pencil", Tormé recalled. "They started, "Chestnuts roasting..., Jack Frost nipping..., Yuletide carols..., Folks dressed up like Eskimos.' Bob (Wells, co-writer) didn't think he was writing a song lyric. He said he thought if he could immerse himself in winter he could cool off. Forty minutes later that song was written. "I wrote all the music and some of the lyrics." Talented guy - the clue for him were `fog` and `velvet``, in case knowing who wrote it would help.

The Nat King Cole Trio first recorded the song early in 1946. At Cole's behest , and over the objections of his label, Capitol Records, a second recording was made the same year utilizing a small string section, this version becoming a massive hit on both the pop and R&B charts. Torme did not record the song till 1952, but did several after that date. I cannot (sob) find a link to the Shari Lewis bit, which was hilarious (the memory of a child, perhaps), but Lamb Chop told the story of Professor Chestnut, who went exploring in deepest, darkest Africa. When the Shari asked the puppet what became of him, Lamb Chop burst into song - Chestnut`s roasting on an open fire!! lol. Sorry.

So, for Bobbie and Cyn:

I hope that the music helped to get you into the mood, if you weren`t there already. Thanks for playing, and see you next week!

As to roasting them - the tree is European, and it is quite common over there to see street vendors offering them in paper sacks!! Yummm. I think they are prevalent where a European presence is common.

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Christmas Song, with Strings!!

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sorry - double post

This post was edited by midnightsmum on Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 12:54

• thinman
    10 years ago

It's true. I didn't come up with that title, even with the really good clues. Just a little slow yesterday, I guess. Most days, for that matter.

Thanks for the seasonal fun, Nancy. I shoulda got it.

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lol. Oh well, there's always next week. And Annette, we were posting at the same time!! for you:

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think roasting chestnuts may be an East Coast thing-northeast actually. I remember one of the other first grade teachers roasting them at school for her students. She also shared with all three classes. They smell wonderful, but I don't remember thinking they tasted good. What did I know? Would love to try some now, but probably need to go back to Philadelphia or up to NYC.

Thanks for the stars. At first, I was thinking Blue Christmas until you told be not to be blue! Thanks for the hints!

Today looked like a winter, December day here-as if it might snow (yippee), but we are predicted to stay in the 50s during the day until the weekend. Alas. Have a terrific week all.

Cynthia

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars, Nancy and the fun afternoon/evening listening to music.

I collected the bagged leaves from my neighbor and spread them on the gardens then went for a quick trip to Lowes and Costco. Thought I would run the mower one more time to catch any leaves still blowing around when I got home. Since it was snowing as I came out of Costco I decided to do a bit more shopping. Got just over an inch of snow, enough to make for sloppy roads. With no more snow falling and temps around 36F at 10 p.m the snow will be gone by morning. Expecting more tomorrow night and Wednesday.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm