Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning cottagers,

We were expecting snow today (turning to rain later-boo hiss), but so far nothing coming down at all. I was dreadfully lazy this morning and really overslept! Haven't even had my first cup of tea, although the water is heating as we speak.

Another history question for you today. Do you know what was banned by the Long Parliament in England from the 1640s until the Restoration of 1660? I found this so surprising. I suppose Charles I was trying to keep his head by going along with this.

Cynthia, whose tea and newspaper are now awaiting

Comments (19)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Good morning, Cyn. It is a bright sunny day here (read COLD!) but we are expecting 15 cm of snow later today. I think that's about 7". I'm staying in, though I should be out doing some Charity canvassing.

I have a couple of ideas, but need some clues to crystallize them.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Good morning all, we are quickly approaching that magical time of the year, not being a snow person myself I'm hoping for it to start snowing Christmas Eve, for it to stay throughout Christmas Day and then come on rain. I know, some of you are saying humbug to this but remember to each his own :).
    Happy Holidays to you all, scratch that, so I'm not being particularly correct, Merry Christmas everyone and I hope you have a good un'.
    No snow to speak of here yet but here we've had some of the coldest temperatures for this time of year that I can remember, our koi pool has frozen over leaving just a little opening left under the spillway, we built this pool in the early 80's, it has never had ice on it before.

We finally broke down and bought an artificial tree a couple of years back, I believe I did a rant on buying that particular one, well, that one is now residing at our daughter's home. We bought a smaller one last year and I have to say I'm much happier with this one, at least this one didn't automatically start turning around when first setting it up, me thinking hey what the heck (being polite here) I know I've only had one glass of sherry.

As to today's quiz, I believe everyone has a right to believe in whatever is right for them but they have NO right to force their beliefs onto others. I have an idea of the answer might be Cyn is looking for so I'll be back later with my guess, I say guess because I think I knew this at one time but the old memory bank ain't what it used to be.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I must admit, I do love snow when it means a day off school and anytime before and during Christmas. It just makes the merry-making so much more festive when it actually looks like Christmas (or what we all think it should look like). These days, we don't party as much as in the past. Our neighborhood party is tonight, but we aren't going. We haven't had our Christmas eve party since Chuck stopped drinking. I was thinking of starting up the tradition again this year, but the downstairs is a mess with furniture, mattress, box springs waiting for John and Kelly to move them to their house. I am afraid they may never get around to it. Sigh.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Chilly in Michigan again today too. We have 15 F (-9 C) right now, with plenty of snow around. Christmasy for sure - in fact we just got our Christmas tree this morning. I'm a little bit of a curmudgeon when it comes to putting decorations up early, but I guess it's getting close enough now, even for a curmudgeon.

Trivia-wise, I'm a history dummy so I wouldn't expect much from me. If it has to do with Charles I keeping his head, maybe he got Parliament to ban large sharp objects. See how pathetic I am?

Will await clues that may save me.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha TM, sharp objects. No, not even close, but you get points for creative thinking.

So, since nothing has started falling from the sky yet, I invited the wild one over for a run. We are having a rollicking good time. Eating, drinking (the water in the outside bowls is ice cold and they love it-the hot chocolate inside is warm the way I like it), and generally having fun..

Some people think Cromwell was the one who created this ban, but it is apparently more likely that he just went along with it. Charles was probably not a fan.

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Wild guess inspired by what I think were clues: is this related to a US social experiment in the early 21st century?

TM

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Why do I keep thinking about the '60's??

Nancy.

#my unwish list is that that silly pop up go away!!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

No idea what was banned but clue points in the direction of a libation, think glogg is Swedish but can't remember the medivial drink from England at the moment. (DH to the rescued--mead) The image that comes to mind is of Klingons drinking. Hmm, or maybe Xmas parties.

Just back from a woman's Christmas tea and program at a friend's church. Each table was individually decorated by the table hostess with such delightful results. Many different colors of linens and wonderfully diverse centerpieces, name tags and party favors. My friend used her grandmother's china from post WWII Japan. Dessert was a very tasty bread pudding.

We had a couple of relatively warm days, think teens above zero F, and I was out shopping yesterday. Most roads were finally cleared though neighborhood streets are still snow packed. Had another inch of snow last night and goodbye cleared roads but saw snowplows at work as I was driving to the tea so by the time we came out the main roads weren't bad. Back into the single digits today with snow expected on and off. Think I will have hot chocolate and snuggle under a quilted throw to read one of the library books I picked up yesterday.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Teas, and parties, and celebrations. 'Tis the season...

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

Hmmm...not really sure where this is going - thought I did, but not now.

Then again, Cromwell wasn't one for much fun....

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, he wasn't and neither was the Godly party. Guess 'twas not the season, for them. ;)

• thinman
    10 years ago

Did they ban Christmas celebrations, or maybe any kind of celebration?

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

TM, you must have heard what I heard (need to sing that line, though). :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    10 years ago

So no happy holidays.

Nancy.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

Yeah, Cromwell thought they were having too much fun.

Annette

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

So no Christmas party celebrations just solemn religious observations. Can't imagine this was popular with the masses.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Four stars for TM, Nancy, Annette, and Bobbie. Sorry the picture shows only three, but these were too cute to pass up!

Yes, can you imagine? No Christmas festivities. It took some time, but the Brits finally returned to their cheery selves.

Thanks for playing and here's to a merry merry season!

Here is a link that might be useful: No Christmas pudding for you!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks for the stars and fun. Ho, ho, ho! Merry Christmas. Lots of holiday festivities here.

• thinman
    10 years ago

Cute stars, Cynthia. I guess it's not all that surprising that someone would try to ban Christmas celebrations. Heaven knows, there a lot of Scrooges, and worse, in the world. We'll just ignore them, right?

Thanks for the weekend fun.

TM