Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Weekend Trivia - Sunday

Good Sunday Morning, Cottagers! Sunny and clear here, which means cold. More cookies to bake today. It always seemed like a cheap gift, but with the cost of ingredients, it's escalating!!

How is everyone doing with their shopping? I don't buy much anymore -see above! I am doing a couple of stockings for my housemates, which will be filled treats. So I'm almost done!

Popular tradition also holds that three kings or wise men (named Melchior,Caspar, and Balthazar) visited the infant Jesus in the manger, though this does not strictly follow the biblical account. The Gospel of Matthew instead describes a visit by an unspecified number of magi, or astrologers, sometime after Jesus was born while the family was living in a house (Matthew 2:11), who brought gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh to the young child Jesus. I'm down with the gift of gold, if you know what I'm sayin'! What good would the frankincense and myrrh be?

And that is your question today! Why were they important as gifts? I'll be back with clues, if you smart guys need them - you may already know!! This is one of those questions that could go either way!

Nancy.

Comments (20)

• thinman
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cold here too, Nancy, but not clear. We have big fat snowflakes drifting down now, which I will take any day over the freezing rain they are getting in the south and central states.

Christmas cookies sound delicious to me, but I don't eat them any more - not heart-healthy, you know.

So, are we looking for why frankincense and myrrh were valuable commodities at that time?

TM

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    10 years ago

It's d*mn cold here, we're not used to it being this cold this early in the year. Well my first thought, they were the world's first air freshener :). I have another thought but will wait for clues to see if I'm even in the ball game.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Oh, I know I knew this once upon a time. I will look for clues to jog my memory!

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

{{gwi:617553}}
    Yes, TM - why were they given. Gold was considered a proper gift for a king, and could be used as currency, so as lovely as it sounded, it was practical. These men came a long way, so put much thought into their gifts. They would help the young king throughout his life.

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I also knew this but that knowledge is lost to the sands of time. Like, Cynthia, I need clues to maybe reclaim the memories.

• thinman
    10 years ago

All I remember about the two things is that they had pleasant smells, and I imagine they were fairly scarce, or they wouldn't have made much of a gift. Like "Hey kid, here's a bucket of olives. Have a nice life."
    :)

I'm not sure how they would have been especially useful during Jesus' life. Did people ascribe special powers to these two things back in that day?

TM

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

I have an idea that these would have been very useful to the people of this time but will wait until the end of the day to add more thoughts unless clues send me in another direction.

10 years ago

"useful to people of this time" what I'm thinking would fit, later.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The Syrian King Seleucus II Callinicus is recorded to have offered gold, frankincense and myrrh (among other items) to Apollo in his temple at Miletus in 243 BC, and this may have been the precedent for the mention of these three gifts in Gospel of Matthew (2:11). It was these three gifts, it is thought, which were the chief cause for the number of the Magi becoming fixed eventually at three.

Frankincense, also called olibanum , is an aromatic resin obtained from trees of the genus Boswellia, particularly Boswellia sacra, B. carteri, B. thurifera, B. frereana and B. bhaw-dajiana (Burseraceae). The English word is derived from Old French "franc encens" (i.e. high quality incense) and is used in incense and perfumes. So, yes - it would smell nice, but it had other properties that made it useful. Even today, this property or use is being researched.

I found a great version of the song, We Three Kings, with Hugh Jackman and two other Australians - great voices. Video quality is not great, but there is a choir and a full orchestra, and perhaps even a clue!!

Nancy.

Here is a link that might be useful: We Three Kings

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I think they were somewhat rare as well, weren't they? I seem to connect frankincense with oil that could be burned and myrrh with death and burial. Did they have medicinal uses?

Cynthia

10 years ago

Medicinal, this was my thought too.

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You guys are good!! I didn't think this would hold up too long!! Darn - I thought maybe a bit longer though.....rarity is of course why they were gifts for royalty.

Burning is the aromatic part, but there is the other element or property!!

Nancy - who is in a snake-pit of wires and modems and routers - oh my!!

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Since others are thinking along the same line I will post my thoughts. I know they were used in religious rites and to wash bodies after death also as aromatics and perfumes to cover unpleasant odors. Don't know the medicinal properties but think they were used as medicine as well.

Edited: the clue in my precious posting was "the end".

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Sun, Dec 8, 13 at 18:12

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Snake-pit...is that a clue? Brings to mind old time insane asylums. Wasn't there an old movie with the actress who played Melanie in GWTW that was titled that? Hmm, so did people use those for mental illness cures? Now, I am the one grasping at straws! :)

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nope, sorry for leading you astray. I literally have several feet of ethernet cables, usb cords, power cords - you get the picture. I'm pretty sure I don't need to have it all set up tomorrow, but if I'd thought it was going to be this complicated, I'd have started yesterday!! lol

OK, so, I think you got the idea of what we were going for!

Frankincense was one of the consecrated incenses described in the Hebrew Bible and Talmud used in Ketoret (incense) ceremonies.
    It was offered on a specialized incense altar in the time when the Tabernacle was located in the First and Second Jerusalem Temples. The ketoret was an important component of the Temple service in Jerusalem. Frankincense is used in many Christian churches including the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Catholic churches. Frankincense resin is edible and is used in traditional medicines in Asia for digestion and healthy skin. For internal consumption, it is recommended that frankincense be translucent, with no black or brown impurities. It is often light yellow with a (very) slight greenish tint. It is often chewed like gum, but it is stickier. In Ayurvedic medicine Indian frankincense (Boswellia serrata), commonly referred to as "dhoop," has been used for hundreds of years for treating arthritis, healing wounds, strengthening the female hormone system and purifying the air. The use of frankincense in Ayurveda is called "dhoopan". In Indian culture, it is suggested that burning frankincense daily in the house brings good health.

For therapy trials in ulcerative colitis, asthma and rheumatoid arthritis there are only isolated reports and pilot studies from which there is not yet sufficient evidence of safety and efficacy. Similarly, the long-term effects and side effects of taking frankincense has not yet been scientifically investigated. Nonetheless, several preliminary studies have been published.
    A 2008 study reported that frankincense smoke was a psychoactive drug that relieves depression and anxiety in mice. The researchers found that the chemical compound incensole acetate was responsible for the effects. In a different study, an enriched extract of "Indian Frankincense" (usually Boswellia serrata) was used in a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled study of patients with osteoarthritis. Patients receiving the extract showed significant improvement in their arthritis in as little as seven days. The compound caused no major adverse effects and, according to the study authors, is safe for human consumption and long-term use.

Myrrh gum is commonly harvested from the species Commiphora myrrha, which is native to Yemen, Somalia, Eritrea and eastern Ethiopia. Another farmed species is Commiphora molmol. The related Commiphora gileadensis, native to Eastern Mediterranean and particularly the Arabian Peninsula, is the biblically referenced Balm of Gilead, also known as Balsam of Mecca. Several other species yield bdellium and Indian myrrh. In traditional Chinese medicine, myrrh is classified as bitter and spicy, with a neutral temperature. It is said to have special efficacy on the heart, liver, and spleen meridians, as well as "blood-moving" powers to purge stagnant blood from the uterus. It is therefore recommended for rheumatic, arthritic, and circulatory problems, and for amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, menopause, and uterine tumors. Myrrh's uses are similar to those of frankincense, with which it is often combined in decoctions, liniments and incense. When used in concert, myrrh is "blood-moving" while frankincense moves the Qi, making it more useful for arthritic conditions. Myrrh is used more frequently in Ayurveda and Unani medicine, which ascribe tonic and rejuvenative properties to the resin. It is utilized in many specially processed rasayana formulas in Ayurveda. Remember, our Magi were from the 'East'. Myrrh was used by the ancient Egyptians, along with natron, for the embalming of mummies. According to the Encyclopedia of Islamic Herbal Medicine, "The Messenger of Allah stated, 'Fumigate your houses with al-shih, murr, and sa'tar.'" The author claims that this use of the word "murr" refers specifically to Commiphora myrrha. Myrrh was an ingredient of Ketoret, the consecrated incense used in the First and Second Temples at Jerusalem, as described in the Hebrew Bible and Talmud. An offering was made of the Ketoret on a special incense altar, and was an important component of the Temple service. Myrrh is also listed as an ingredient in the holy anointing oil used to anoint the Tabernacle, high priests and kings. Myrrh is also used to prepare the sacramental chrism used by many churches of both Eastern and Western rites. In the Middle East, the Eastern Orthodox Church traditionally uses myrrh-scented oil to perform the sacraments of chrismation and unction, both of which are commonly referred to as "receiving the Chrism".
    In pharmacy, myrrh is used as an antiseptic in mouthwashes, gargles, and toothpastes for prevention and treatment of gum disease. Myrrh is currently used in some liniments and healing salves that may be applied to abrasions and other minor skin ailments. Myrrh has also been recommended as an analgesic for toothaches, and can be used in liniment for bruises, aches, and sprains.

So very useful for a young king, it would seem. For Cyn, Annette and Bobbie:

Tm, I wasn't sure where you were on this. Gone are my days of a leisurely reveal on Mondays (hopefully) since I am now gainfully employed, starting tomorrow!!

I say bring on the francincense and myrrh, if they help with osteo-arthritis~~See you guys next week - thanks for playing!!

Nancy.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nancy, for the information. Amazing usage though I generally think of them only in connection with The Three Kings story.

Thanks for the stars.

Good luck with your new job.

10 years ago

Yes, good luck with your new job. Who would have thought all F & M were used for. It was just a lucky guess on my part, thanks for the stars Nancy.
    Now I can't wait to tell some poor unsuspecting soul, that is if anything related to the subject comes up and I can retain my new found knowledge in my overloaded storage chamber.

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Well, I should be off to look for some F and M for us. Arthritis cures and all. Wonder if CVS stocks it? :)

Thanks for the stars , the info, and the fun. Hope your first day is a breeze and at least somewhat fun. We are out of school today-little bit of snow yesterday and then ice. Roads are fine, but our new superintendent is from Texas, so guessing that may have influenced her. She called it last night. Silly waste of a day when a delay would have been fine. Oh well, I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth (unless he is carrying a basket of gold, frankincense, and myrrh, that is).

Have a wonderful week all!

Cynthia

• thinman
    10 years ago

Nope, no stars for me, Nancy. I wasn't quite in the ballpark.

I had to smile when I read that frankincense relieves depression and anxiety in mice, picturing a bunch of mopey mice catching a hit of frankincense smoke and transforming into grinning little dervishes going nuts on their exercise wheels. :-)

And, how would you get mice depressed? Maybe pick out the ones who had gone through a bad breakup with their two-timing nose-twitching significant others? What does a depressed mouse look like? I'd love to read that study.

Hey, thanks for the fun, Nancy.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

LOL, TM! Absolutely right!

Sponsored